installing wood cabinets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 06:41 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: scamp
Kansas
Registry
installing wood cabinets

How do you attach wood cabinets in a 13' scamp 1975 model?
jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:53 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp screws through from the outside in their deluxe (wood interior) line. Screw heads are hidden under snap caps similar to standard fiberglass units.

Escape epoxies wood strips to the bare fiberglass shell after molding. Cabinets are screwed to the strips from the inside.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Starting around post 88 here
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...r-55601-4.html I added some storage to our boler in about 2013 and have had no proplem with it over many miles.
Post 126 here shows more detail of method.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...r-55601-6.html

Good luck on your endeavor!
Fred
Old 08-13-2020, 07:54 AM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I screwed and glued the cabinets in my rebuild.
I have an older Scamp with Ensolite insulation. I traced the mounting outline on the Ensolite where I was going to attach the cabinet and cut out the strip of insulation and cleaned the fiberglass. Then I drilled the screw holes from the inside so that they would line up properly. Then I used polyurethane glue and sealant in the gap and had SWMBO hold the cabinet in place when I went outside and ran countersunk sheetmetal screws into a Countersink washer. You don't have to worry about the caps other than for looks as the sealant and screw will not leak.
If attached in this manner the cabinet will add to the stiffness of the structure. In my case I installed overhead oak cabinets from the front bulkheads to the rear and bonded and screwed them together to actually build a 12" beam on each side of the trailer from stem to stern.

Each of the cabinets and the bulkheads are fastened in this manner. The Scamp shell is very stiff and the cabinets and beds add to it as well as the added structure from the frame to the shell and glassed this reinforced floor to the shell.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #5

Kansas
Registry
Sounds like a great idea. I will try for sure. We tripped the whole inside to the glass and will install new insulation using 3m spray adhesive then brown upholstery over the instulation.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #6

Kansas
Registry
Do you think exterior krag screws would work with the white caps?
Old 08-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
My experience with 3M spray adhesive has been that it looks great and holds great until it goes through a couple of heat cool cycles and then it fails.
Contact cement is better, but much harder to use.
The factory uses some sort of spray adhesive with a spray gun and the smell and vapors will knock you down!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #8

Kansas
Registry
Sound great Right now i am Gelcoating the outside. I tried rolling on it didn't work so well. Sanding now and then will spray on gelcoat.We had a lot of patches and holes to repair. Its a total redo. Windows on the side are the old square windows I was thinking to rebuild them.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cabinets in Scamp 16 and 13

I installed a full width cabinet across a Scamp 13 and a Scamp 16 with our adding external screws.

I took some screws out of the rear window frame and mounted a piece of aluminum piece of right angle using the screws removed. This suppoerted the rear of the shell. I piece of 1x3 inch from the two side windows to support the front of the shelf.

I cut a piece of 1/4 inch plywood to fit, sort of a half moon (the hardest part).

This piece of plywood sat on the rear aluminum and was screwed and glued to the 1x3. I made a front plate to fit between the plywood and roof. I cut three openings in the front to provide access and a location for doors.

More details can be found in this link.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...a-46387-3.html

We have the front couch/bunks and side bath. We never intended to use the bunks but recognized the space above the couch and between the front window and bath was wasted.

In this space we built a large 2 door cabinet for storage still allowing someone to lie on the couch. This cabinet was deep, the same as the bath and very useful for clothing storage.

As well we built two large drawers in the drivers side dinette and a large drawer under the front couch.

If you have questions don't hesitate to ask, I installed it 10 years ago and the details escape me

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote