Insulation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #1

Name: Thomas
Trailer: Hunter compact jr
New Mexico
Insulation

Hello, my name is Tom and I have a 1971 Hunter Compact Jr. I was wanting to get some ideas on insulating this trailer. Since it is so curvy, I thought about using soft 3/8 or 1/2" foam or maybe spray foam. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
nm5tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:27 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Any of your suggestions would work. You would have to make sure that the glue you use to adhere the foam to the walls will not melt the foam. Scamp trailers uses Reflectix (looks like aluminized bubble wrap) insulation with a marine headliner material glued over it. I believe the R-value is somewhere around 6 or 7, but we never had any problems with this in our two 13’ Scamps, and now in the sleeping area of our Lil Snoozy. Most of the heat loss is from windows and vents. Reflectix cut to friction fit over the windows and vents at night really helps insulate.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
A closed cell foam like Ensolite or Gym rubber will keep condensation down in the trailer. Easy to work with (scissors work) for complex curves if you use paper to make patterns. Decent R values, too.

https://foammart.com/product/ensolite/

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #4

Name: Thomas
Trailer: Hunter compact jr
New Mexico
Thanks for the info

Hi Dave and Charlie Y,

Thanks for your thoughts on insulation. I may go to the big box store today and buy some Reflectix. I think I'll cut some pieces for the windows and try to leave a 1/2" space between the window and Reflectix. Also I'll cut some foam for my vent. Both helping to ward off cold. Pic of the inside of my Jr.

Tom
nm5tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #5

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Use some sort of insulating foam rather than reflectix. The R-value of 6 is basically BS and only applies when it's used as a radiant barrier combined with a large enough air gap. Sandwiched between layers, the real R value is closer to 0.6. It's good for windows, but not so good for wall insulation like Scamp uses it.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:57 AM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Reflectex R values are more I values, Imagined.
As stated above the oft quoted "R" values are from the manufacturer in some sort of equivalency test.
It is true that it does form a IR barrier by reflecting heat away from it's surface and not re-radiating it efficiently as the emissivity of polished aluminum is low.
However this null and void when it is in contact with another surface because the heat transfer changes from radiated IR to conductive heat flow.
Sandwiched between the shell and the rat fur the only insulation value is the air gap in the bubbles.
I used some reflectex in a bolster around the beds and it helps (mostly to provide stiffness for the fabric) keep you from being next to the more clammy cold Ensolite surface which while it stops the more obvious sweating, is not completely dry either.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:34 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
In the world of molded FG trailers, the Hunter Jr is one of the least curvy models out there. If you don't mind giving up some width, then rigid foam sheets are available in a variety of widths. Windows will be a huge heat loss, temporary reflectrix covers will help a little.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote