Insulation Boler vs. Trillion vs. Scamp etc. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #1

Name: Tobias
Trailer: Currently Shopping for a 13 to 17 ft trailer
California
Insulation Boler vs. Trillion vs. Scamp etc.

I'm currently looking into getting my first trailer. I will mostly use it for winter camping, but don't need anything fancy or big as I would just stay out for two or three nights most of them time. I tried to find out which of the 13 or max. 17 footers has the best insulation. I have heard the Scamp supposed to be the best, but they are rare to find here in Canada. As much as I could find on the internet, the Trilliums have a better insulation than the Bolers, Surf Sides etc. Can anyone comment on that? Any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks
link_tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
In Canada and available? Bigfoot hands down. Just be aware, not all Bigfoot of all years are four-season trailers.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:17 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
The Oliver Elite 17 has double wall construction and is fully insulated. The tanks are also mounted between the inner and outer shells for freeze protection. These might be worth a look.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:42 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
None of the single wall trailers you mentioned have any significant insulation advantage. Scamp reports a high insulation value on their website but its bogus. Pretty much all of them are single wall trailers, with a very thin insulating liner on the inside to prevent condensation.

As far as Bigfoot, only some of their trailers are four seasons.

In addition, all of the trailers you mentioned have single pane windows, which lose heat rapidly.

An Escape 17 can be ordered with thermopane windows and an insulation package. Thats better, but IMHO, not a match for the four season trailers out there (Oliver and Bigfoot).

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-85154.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
OP mentions "in Canada" - but indicates 'California' ? Could be a big difference in the concern for 'insulation' ? When and when, will the 'winter camping' occur ? We've had much experience 'winter camping' on the north shore of Lake Superior with truck slide-ins and pull-trailers; but with no use of 'on-board' water.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #6

California
Thanks bullfrogeh for pointing that out. I tried to change the state/province to Alberta, but it somehow always seems to default to California. Will try tonight on my PC again and if it doesn't work I will contact one of the admins.

As for where and when, I'm planning on using the trailer mainly from late November to April here in the Canadian Rockies. It doesn't need to be at +25°C all the time as even +5°C is warm compared to -25°C in my tent ;-) I also wasn't planning on having any water in the systems, might even remove the plumbing all together. Just a big water jug or melting snow did the job so far and will do it in the future as well.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:42 AM   #7

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
For a modest-size 4-season camper, all the self-enclosed egg ones can be upgraded with custom windows and floor insulation. There are specialty firms that can do this and upgrade the inadequate frame to boondocking capability at the same time. If you want a referral, just let me know.

Stephen
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #8

California
I don't want to spend too much money on it and first see what I would need/like to have and then do most of the work myself. However, it would be nice to have such a contact just in case.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The original 3 season 17' Bigfoot has 1" of Styrofoam in the floor, walls, and ceiling. It's not up to modern standards, but tops anything made between 1978 and 2004.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
For a modest-size 4-season camper, all the self-enclosed egg ones can be upgraded with custom windows and floor insulation. There are specialty firms that can do this and upgrade the inadequate frame to boondocking capability at the same time. If you want a referral, just let me know.

Stephen
I'm curious to hear some fabricator recommendations in the US.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:04 PM   #11

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Crazy, but it's working

Quote:
Originally Posted by link_tobias View Post
I don't want to spend too much money on it and first see what I would need/like to have and then do most of the work myself.

I live in my 17-ft Bigfoot year-round. It's not a 4-season trailer by any means, but it's one of the older ones, so there's a decent amount of insulation. I wanted more, though, even though I live in a pretty temperate climate.

What I came up with may sound nuts, but I'm experimenting this year with those inexpensive foam egg-crate mattress toppers. I've cut each to fit snugly into the back, top, & (sometimes) sides of all my cupboards, cubbies, & the closet. I cut the foam a bit oversize, so it holds itself in place. You'll lose a bit of space, but the up side is that it helps keep your life clutter-free.

I can't access all the areas that could use some extra insulation, but this has already made a noticeable difference. And, it's cheap! I'll let you know how it works out -- or not.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:41 AM   #12

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
I'm curious to hear some fabricator recommendations in the US.
Me too, please share with all
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:48 AM   #13

California
Thanks everyone for the answers and information. If anyone has some other ideas, it would be appreciated to come forward with them. I like Eva's idea with starting inside the cabinets, so please let us know how it works long term. There seems to be quite a bit of interest on that topic.
I also wonder if anyone ever put spray foam directly onto the factory ensolite interior as ripping the ensolite out seems to be a major pain
Old 11-01-2018, 06:49 AM   #14

California
Sorry Evelyn, the spell check turned Ev into Eva.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Scamp has good wall insulation, but if you want comfort in cold weather you must make good window covers, insulate inside the benches and get a good insulated floor covering. Get a good furnace and always take enough fuel to run for the entire stay, along with enough battery and a way to charge it.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
I live in my 17-ft Bigfoot year-round. It's not a 4-season trailer by any means, but it's one of the older ones, so there's a decent amount of insulation. I wanted more, though, even though I live in a pretty temperate climate.

What I came up with may sound nuts, but I'm experimenting this year with those inexpensive foam egg-crate mattress toppers. I've cut each to fit snugly into the back, top, & (sometimes) sides of all my cupboards, cubbies, & the closet. I cut the foam a bit oversize, so it holds itself in place. You'll lose a bit of space, but the up side is that it helps keep your life clutter-free. [emoji38]tu

I can't access all the areas that could use some extra insulation, but this has already made a noticeable difference. And, it's cheap! I'll let you know how it works out -- or not.
I did something similar with my cupboards using reflectix. It helps to keep the cupboards cooler inside when the sun is hitting the shell but it does nothing to keep my camper warm nor was that my intention.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
I did something similar with my cupboards using reflectix. It helps to keep the cupboards cooler inside when the sun is hitting the shell but it does nothing to keep my camper warm nor was that my intention.
Window covers are the single most effective thing to do.
My cupboards are already lined with the wall covering, but the inside of the benches are not lined at the floor and are not heated inside so insulating them helps... like covering the floor.
We use reflectix for window covers...without it the single pane windows just cascade cold air.

None of this matters much above 20°F with a good heater, but the window covers would still add a level of comfort and save on fuel.

That brings up the idea of venting the benches to warm under them, I have a door under the starboard bench for a different purpose but I could leave that open.

The only time I sleep in cold weather is first leg of the trip to Florida for ScampCamp and maybe the last on the way home.
I prefer to use the climate control which comes standard under the frame of my trailer.

Of course, if you have shorepower its like sleeping in a toaster, or if you have the "bread" for a good generator.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:44 AM   #18

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Hi Condensation is a big issue in any of the fiberglass trailers when used in the colder weather if you keep all the vents closed. Put the kettle on the stove and you have an instant sauna room. The ensolite is minimal insulation at best, more suited for a cool night with little or no frost. I have used my Trillium in the past for deer hunting in the Fall,that's how I found out !
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:29 AM   #19

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
The frames of nearly all egg campers are not strong enough for boondocking. They flex enough even under modest loads to pop rivets and cause other structural damage. Chris Moore of Texas Customs has made competition truck chassis for 12 years out of standard I beam construction.
Tel: 979-324-5387
cmooregalaxy@gmail.com

He can upgrade any egg camper chassis to withstand the constant stress of boondocking operations along with axle, bearings, brakes, windows etc.
Here is an example of his work:
https://youtu.be/zkfaMf4JCUg
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:23 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by link_tobias View Post
Thanks bullfrogeh for pointing that out. I tried to change the state/province to Alberta, but it somehow always seems to default to California. Will try tonight on my PC again and if it doesn't work I will contact one of the admins.
Go into "User CP" and under "Edit Your Details" change the "State/Province" to "Alberta" then click "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page. Should work fine.

I just changed mine no problem, then changed it back.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, scamp