Insulation in Lil Snoozy? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Insulation in Lil Snoozy?

We are leaning towards purchasing a Lil Snoozy. But I have a question on Lil Snoozy. Are they insulated or did they change the design anywhere?

My question is, "Does the Lil Snoozy have some marginal insulation?" The web site talks about a foam core construction. Is that an improvement over the carpeting in the Casita?

The web site dedicated to Lil Snoozy shows people putting Reflectix over the sleeping area to keep condensation away from the bed. Other people say that is not a problem, but it gets awfully damp here in the NW during cooler months when we may want to visit the coast.

Thanks in advance for comments.
Alan Rh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:26 AM   #2

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Lil Snoozy insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rh View Post
We are leaning towards purchasing a Lil Snoozy. But I have a question on Lil Snoozy. Are they insulated or did they change the design anywhere?

My question is, "Does the Lil Snoozy have some marginal insulation?" The web site talks about a foam core construction. Is that an improvement over the carpeting in the Casita?

The web site dedicated to Lil Snoozy shows people putting Reflectix over the sleeping area to keep condensation away from the bed. Other people say that is not a problem, but it gets awfully damp here in the NW during cooler months when we may want to visit the coast.

Thanks in advance for comments.
Good morning Alan! All I can give you is my own thoughts. We bought a pre owned lil Snoozy a year ago & at the very first trip, to the rally in fact, in S.Carolina in October, I recognized the NEED for insulation. How I wished...we had that "Ratfur" that so many others do. There's a REASON for that! We're working currently on another possible solution, but in the meantime, I'll take no more trips until something's been done. Jus sayin...the folks who do have it, are really, really happy about it. Good luck with your decision whatever you choose!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
The Lil Snoozy core/construction is rated at 6-7 R value, not much, but about the same as Scamp & Casita R values. Air flow will eliminate the condensation issues, but I do not like opening windows or vents in cold weather to achieve this, so I simply applied the Reflectix and Marine headliner in the sleeping area to eliminate the condensation issue.
I hope this answers you questions.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We also added the Reflextrix and marine headliner to the "bedroom". We are very happy with the result.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #5

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
We also added the Reflextrix and marine headliner to the "bedroom". We are very happy with the result.
So you ended up with Scamp design
Old 06-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #6

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
So you ended up with Scamp design
I guess so. BUT You still have a 3/8 to 1/2 thick, rigid hull ,self supporting hull behind it with no rivets!
Old 06-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #7

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
If the question is warmth when you sleep, investigate the "Celiant" line of mattress covers and sheets on Amazon. It uses the same tech NASA used, by including silver in the construction, among other things. The target market is people with chronic diseases that have problems with cold. It traps the body heat and heats the sleep area to 5 to 8 degrees extra. I read the consumer reviews- one person said she hated it because she felt so hot! Um, didn't you read ANYTHING on the website before you ordered??
Just my 2 cents worth.
Stupid question, did you use the enclosed heater? The first night after pickup the low in GA where we were staying was in the 30s. (F) I had the windows open for an hour and 1/2, airing out the fiberglass smell. Then buttoned up and plugged in the 1000/1500 wat heater that came with. It about roasted me, and we had no blanket-just sheets and cotton quilt. I bought a 200 watt "personal" heater on Amazon and it's what we've used ever since. DH, who is wimpy about cold, admits that the little heater works okay. Just my 2 cents worth, my thoughts aren't worth much more than that.
DH just pointed out that if you bought used, they might not have included the heater...
Old 06-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Mitzi, I gather that the concern here is the condensation, not the warmth. An inch of insulation would do wonders for stopping condensation.

Placing insulation around compound curves would be a challenge. I have thought about how I could insulate my Lil Hauley (empty Snoozy shell). It might be possible to spray some dense urethane foam (probably a pro job), or to glue some flexible, conformable type of foam onto the inner surface. Then adhere cotton fabric to the exposed foam and paint it; the glued/painted fabric would form a reasonably firm, rigid surface and, as long as care was taken to avoid wrinkles and bunching of the fabric, it should look nice enough... just like a painted wall. Not that I've tried this... just thinking along those lines. One of the tricky parts might be getting the foam to adhere properly to the gelcoated wall; I think I've read a couple of comments about how hard it is to get a good bond, so maybe it would need a good scuff with sandpaper.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Compared to other Fiberglass RVs

Putting aside Escape with it's optional insulation, how does Lil Snoozy compare with other fiberglass RVs? Do they have the same foam core as the Lil Snoozy?
Alan Rh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Lil Snoozy is the only one currently built that way. There are about four basic ways shells are built and insulated, with variations.
(1) Foam core (Lil Snoozy)
(2) Single hull with flexible liner (marine headliner over foil bubble, Scamp & others; foam-backed carpet, Casita; vinyl-covered closed-cell foam, Escape)
(3) Single hull with rigid foam & paneling (Bigfoot)
(4) Double hull with insulation between (Oliver, new Parkliner, EggCamper, Happier Camper)

How do they compare? With the exception of Bigfoot & Oliver, which are designed as 4-season trailers, and Escape's optional "extended 3-season" package, probably not a whole lot of difference. I'd guess around R3-R5.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #11

North Carolina
Registry
Insulation in Lil Snoozy?

The term foam core is misleading. The Snoozy hull starts with one layer of fiberglass. The "foam" is a high tech honeycomb product that goes in the mold on top of this fiberglas layer . Another layer of fiberglass is layed over the foam. Then the whole sandwich is infused with resin by a vacuum process. The result is a 3/8 to 1/2 solid hard hull. It is a great product but I don't think it is very much insulation. The condensation is not a big problem. There was a little around the bed in the morning and I would wipe it up with a towel. We installed the reflectrix and marine headliner. This makes the bedroom a little warmer and totally eliminates the condensation.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #12

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Lil Snoozys are a quality trailer. If they made them just a hair taller and wider (have the wheels inboard instead of outboard for example) I think it's combination of thicker hull, aerodynamics when towing, quality interior and custom options would be really hard to beat.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:13 AM   #13

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Lil Snoozys are a quality trailer. If they made them just a hair taller and wider (have the wheels inboard instead of outboard for example) I think it's combination of thicker hull, aerodynamics when towing, quality interior and custom options would be really hard to beat.

The interior height is 6'4" and there are some advantages to the outboard wheels. To each his own.

Tags
lil snoozy