Interior height and bed size in Bigfoot 5th wheel? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
We are trying to decide between a Scamp or Bigfoot for our next upgrade. The inside height is way short in the Scamp for my 6'1"ish husband and the bed is probably too short too. Is the Bigfoot more suited to his height?

I know the Bigfoot is considerably heavier that the Scamp. Does any body know by how much? We would probably try to get a dual axle version of the BF.

I don't think there is a perfect fit for everything we want. We can not afford a new trailer, so will be looking for an oldie that that needs some "fluffing".

If this info already exists in a post I'm tooooo tired to find it.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 1987 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Hi, Lizbeth.

Yes, we have had the same challenge because Chris is 6'3" so that's one reason we've always had Bigfoots. This is a great time to ask because we just got back from the Fort Langley, BC, meet and there were three Bigfoot 5th wheels there! They said this was the first time they had a Bigfoot 5th wheel -- and there were three! The other two Bigfoot 5ers were very nice (newer than ours) and it was fun comparing notes. We really enjoy seeing so many cool FGRVs at the meets, but wwe do notice that for most brands other than Bigfoot, Chris bumps his head inside.

Anyway, we have a single axle Bigfoot 5th wheel and it has LOTS of of headroom, even after Chris installed the new air conditioner this summer. We have a true queen size bed with about 10 inches to spare the foot of the bed, so we're very happy with it. We estimate our dry weight at 2,750. It's late and I know our calendar is booked tomorrow, but hopefully we can get out and measure the actual height in the next few days.

One thing to note since you also mentioned weight. The Bigfoot 5th wheel dual axles are great, and many people prefer a dual axle -- but it does add over 900 pounds to the weight. It also decreases the interior headroom. The dual axle makes the interior sit up higher -- there is literally an extra step up to the floor level. Even in the dual axles we visited this weekend, Chris still had plenty of headroom, but it might be closer with AC installed. For us, anyway, we're very pleased with our single axle. We realized this weekend that gives us a bit more storage space as well, with taller upper cabinets. Don't get me wrong -- you can't go wrong with either a dual or a single axle Bigfoot 5th wheel if you're able to find one in decent shape. It's just for us, we're happier with the lighter weight and increased room. You might want to search the forum for previous discussions about dual axles. Good luck!

Maureen
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #3

Registry
Maureen, thank you so much for the info. It sounds like the BF suits us better than the Scamp. Eric and I have been in a few BFs at rallies but never have seen a 5th wheel in person. I wish we we ready to get one right now because there are several for sale this week but our son's wedding is coming up in 12 days so we don't have time to travel to look right now. Plus there is the small matter of not having a truck to tow with.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 1987 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Oh, yes. The small matter of not having a truck. Believe it or not, that didn't stop us. We borrowed a truck from a nice guy Chris works with when we drove up to BC to buy our first 5th wheel. So then we had to go shopping for a new pickup, and we ended up getting the Nissan Frontier. So Chris got an extra new toy out of the deal.

Chris went out and measured our Bigfoot this evening. The lowest point in the main area of the trailer is 82.5 inches (where the air conditioner is). The height is 88" by the refrigerator. The shower is 78" inches high. I hope this helps!

Maureen
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #5

Registry
That helps bunches! Thank Chris for measuring it for us!

As soon as this wedding hub bub is out of the way we are going to start truck researching. Hubby (Eric) says we can always flat bed a trailer home on a car trailer which we have access to.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
That helps bunches! Thank Chris for measuring it for us!

As soon as this wedding hub bub is out of the way we are going to start truck researching. Hubby (Eric) says we can always flat bed a trailer home on a car trailer which we have access to.
Lizbeth,

Be still my heart; you and Eric are joining us Bigfoot owners. We are sure loving ours. We just got back from an extended trip to Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, then home. We've made a few "mods", but you know us, we can't leave anything alone.

Hope to see you at Lake Casita in October

Lori
Lori Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #7

Registry
Lori...yes it looks like we may be heading that way. I'm glad you have good things to say about BF!

We are taking your lead and trying to look to the future.

Here's our RV history and how we have arrived at looking at the BF 5th wheels. The next RV has to be the "one". We started 20 years ago with a 21ft sticky, then went to a crew cab truck and overhead camper...sometimes pulling a Jeep, then we thought down sizing would be good so we went to a tent trailer, I hated it, it lasted three trips before I put it up for sale. Next came our only new to us purchase our 22ft Sandpiper, we still have that trailer and I really like it but it's a sticky and takes a big truck to pull it which we don't have anymore. We had a friend tow it home last weekend from where it's been in a campground for the last three years. We are going to try to sell it.....I hope we can.

Our needs are; a full time bed long enough for Eric, interior height tall enough that Eric can stand somewhere in the trailer, a full bath, a dinette or gaucho, and a usable kitchen space. We don't think we want a "full size" truck, which to us would be your truck which Eric covets. AND the big one is staying in a small package. Our only hesitation about having a fifth wheel is it does away with being able to use the full pickup bed.

We are very much looking forward to the Lake Casitas!

Tags
bigfoot