Introductions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello to everyone!

I couldn't find an introductions thread so I thought I'd post one of my own if it's OK. My name is Mark and I fell into a great interest in RV's by accident. About 2 months ago I was actually looking up a type of aircraft called an "RV 3" (Made by Van's Aircraft) and forgot to put quotation marks around what I typed, so naturally the results included many Recreational Vehicle links which a Curious George like me - a research junkie who has the attention span of a gnat - simply couldn't resist clicking into.

I was one of those kids who grew up in the 1970's to mid 80's which was long before the internet. Back in those ages, computers were finally smaller than half a room size and the art of googling something entailed a trip to the local library or, if you were lucky enough - as I was, your family had a set on Encyclopedias in which you could look up just about anything in a heartbeat - that is, providing you weren't the type, like me, who went to look something and get so distracted by other subjects along the way that an hour later you wondered what you meant to look up in the first place.

I have always been a huge fan of composite construction. So for the past two months researching and cross-referencing everything I could concerning RV's, more specifically, Travel Trailers. And more specifically yet - composite TT's. In this time, my research frequently lead me to this forum and after lurking and perusing this site for almost a few months now, I thought I'd become a member. I do not own a RV at this time but I'm planning on it within the next 2-3 years or so and I do have my heart set on a composite RV around the 17' range or so. But for the time being I'm mostly going to peruse this forum and it's archives and learn everything I can.

+Mark
Mark K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Your journey thus far into the RV world is not unlike many here including myself. Yep, you'll most likely have one but I wouldn't be surprised that it will be sooner than you anticipate. Good luck in your research. Oh, and welcome to MLFRV!
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thank you, Steve

Perhaps I may sooner than later. I do have a good towing truck, a great one in fact. It's a 1981 Ford F100 Custom. It's what's considered "a heavy half-ton" because beside having the tow package it has the more heavy-duty rearend, the beefed up suspension, oversized radiator and a towing transmission in it (the kind where first gear is so low that you might get 6mph if you really push it). However the guy i bought it from took out the original inline 6 cylinder and put in a rebuilt 400 v8 from a 74 Gran Torino because he used it to haul his stock car. She's a gas guzzler but also a torque monster.
Mark K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Mark, Welcome aboard. Happy researching & hope you find what's right for you.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
a Curious George like me

the type, like me, who went to look something and get so distracted by other subjects along the way that an hour later you wondered what you meant to look up in the first place.

[b]But for the time being I'm mostly going to peruse this forum and it's archives and learn everything I can.

+Mark

When I first became addicted to visiting this website, my partner used to come to my desk and look over my shoulder.
After seeing what I was reading, he would shake his head (tsk, tsk) and whisper to me:

"I see [b]Trailer people."
Old 07-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Now he "R" one

Mark! You'll find this a friendly site with lots of knowledge. If you have some questions, feel free to post away.. someone... or many someone's will pop in and answer up. If you're looking to purchase new, don't forget the Helpful-Links page to the: All Current Trailer Brands of molded lightweight fiberglass trailers. Well, all except Bigfoot who's currently out of business and Oliver who's on a building hiatus until the first of the year.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
Hey Mark,

A lot of us have sililar stories. For my wife and I, we were looking to buy a Westfalia Vanagon. While researching that, we came across this. Lurked for a bit. Became members and bought a trailer shortly thereafter from a fellow "egger" on this forum. That was a year and a half ago and the rest is history.
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:

When I first became addicted to visiting this website, my partner used to come to my desk and look over my shoulder.
After seeing what I was reading, he would shake his head (tsk, tsk) and whisper to me:

I can relate to Robert's comment. I watched as Roy got more and more excited about owning a FG RV and then had to admit that we had purchased this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen_and_couch.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	21365

It's not so bad now. I have my own ID and am proud to own this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	inside_for_MFROG.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	21366

(It's the same trailer) And the "trailer people" are pretty good folks.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote