Is it really worth it? - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2014, 04:08 AM   #141

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Rob, The various tow vehicles and trailers is all very interesting. Life is very short in the big picture and we each get to experience very little so the experiences of others is valuable. Thank you for relating your experience, and the same to Wayne and others, all doing it in a controlled manner.

It's not simple, even in towing, people have different needs to get to the same place on the same route. We are older and retired and don't mind down shifting and taking a few more minutes to make the top of the hill. Economy is at least as important as speed to us.

As to brakes and towing we have never contemplated towing a trailer that weighs more than our tow vehicle though it is fairly common, particularly with 5th wheels and probably some trailers. People towing heavy trailers seem to be able to handle the situation via W/D. Personally my trailers have never been in the W/D class.

Wishing you well with your Ford truck and many safe years of travel,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #142

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
We plan on towing our ParkLiner with a 2013 Escape. The ParkLiner weighs 2100#s dry, and our 2 liter ecoboost Escape has a tow capacity of 3500#s, with a curb weight of 3732#s. We expect to visit both the U.S. & Canadian Rockies with it when we retire a few years down the road, as well as the extensive Appalachian Mountain chain in the East.

YMMV.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #143
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Rob, The various tow vehicles and trailers is all very interesting. Life is very short in the big picture and we each get to experience very little so the experiences of others is valuable. Thank you for relating your experience, and the same to Wayne and others, all doing it in a controlled manner.

Wishing you well with your Ford truck and many safe years of travel,
A great summation Norm. I like the way this forum has progressed. Sure folks have different views on towing and TV's but the discussions have become really respectful with a new sense of maturity.

Rob... I too want to wish you may happy travels with the EB150. The original promo videos on that vehicle were very impressive. I have read that the new ones with the 800lb lighter aluminum body will get an increase in tow rating. X2
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #144

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
On the subject of "is it worth it," most people on a forum such as this will say yes. But it is a wide world full of different people with different ideas, desires, priorities and goals. My wife could not care less about RVing. She came from a family of homebodies; her grandparents rarely went anywhere, they had no desire even to drive to town if they didn't have to. My folks always loved to travel, and I ended up that way too. In fact, if I had been born 100 years earlier, I suspect that I would have been one of those guys who earned a living going from town to town with a horse-drawn wagonload of goods for sale.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #145

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Well said Norm, words of wisdom for us all. And you are so right as the rigs start to get bigger, much bigger i.e. large 5th wheels etc no doubt most of the trailers do out weigh the TV. No way around it.

To that I will add one more comment regarding our experience with TV's. With the Tundra the towing experience became so excruciating on longer road trips especially we just got to the point it wasn't worth the trouble any more. Before that we had a 2001 Tacoma DC with 6 cylinder towing a Coleman Pop Up which was an even worse experience with gas mileage about equal to the Tundra/T@b combo. That lasted a year max. With that in mind, I suppose you could say I came into this discussion with a bit of a jaded mindset given our past experiences. Its encouraging to know that so many seem to be so successful at getting by with much less (compared to big rigs) in their tugs as well as the trailers. But I still love trucks.

There is an old timers saying here in Big Sky Country, that in life you get one good truck, one good woman, and one good dog. I'm fortunate on the woman my wife of 30 years and dog who is long departed now but a pet soul mate if there ever was one. Lets hope the F150 completes that final segment otherwise my life might yet be unfulfilled.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #146
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
On the subject of "is it worth it," her grandparents rarely went anywhere,
Mike, I can so relate. Both my grandparents were based on farms in the Annapolis valley NS. Out of the 4 only one grandmother had a drivers licence and a car (a 52 maroon Pontiac). She polished and waxed it so much the primer was showing though when the car was 15 years old...LOL. Guess that is where I get my care care genes from. They never ventured far from home. Only to town for supplies etc. My one grandfather walked to town, "20 miles" round trip. (true fact).
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #147

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Just some quotes:

“Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.”
– Vernon Howard

“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.” – Proverb

“Forget your lust for the rich man’s gold, all that you need is in your soul.”
― Lynyrd Skynyrd

“Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” ― Lao Tzu

“Don’t waste your love on somebody, who doesn’t value it.”
― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

“Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries.”
― Anne Herbert

“For I don’t care too much for money, for money can’t buy me love.” ― The Beatles

“Laughter is the best medicine.” ― Proverb

“The greatest wealth is health.” ― Virgil

“I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #148

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Great stuff Carl, thanks!
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #149

Name: Tom
Michigan
That was good, Carl!! I especially like the last one. Gandhi had a way with words, eh?

Tom.
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #150

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Some great quotes there, Carl.

One of my favourite quotes is from Abe Lincoln. "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #151

Florida
I'm a big fan of Ayn Rand who struck a chord in me about the power of the individual and the fact that the smallest minority is the individual, and possibly the reasoning individual.

"From the smallest necessity to the highest religious abstraction, from the wheel to the skyscraper, everything we are and everything we have comes from one attribute of man - the function of his reasoning mind."

"Money is only a tool. It will take you wherever you wish, but it will not replace you as the driver."

"Learn to value yourself, which means: fight for your happiness."

Ayn Rand, author of Atlas Shrugged and many other good 'reads'.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #152

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Ayn rand should be required reading in high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #153

Florida
Jared,

I used to have a license plate "J Galt" . People would toot at me all the time. It was required reading for Ginny while we were dating.

Unfortunately the lessons of her book may require failure before they are recognized, my only real fear.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #154

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Just for the record, this is probably not the place to take up politics, religion and philosophy however I don't share your admiration for Ayn Rand, or her writings and philosophy. This is not to say I don't believe in the power and inspiration of the individual, heck I've been self employed all of my life and in what can only be called a very competitive arena.

But from what I know of Ayn Rand, nah, not the least bit of admiration or inspiration.

rob
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #155

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Ditto.
And, I thought politics was not a topic for discussion on the forum. Nor religion. Not sure which ban Rand fits best.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #156

Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Never heard of him/her.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #157

Florida
Lets move on.

For most of us our FRVs are is worth it. The cost is a choice and varies widely, related to initial investment and camping style. It varies from person to person and the cost is very often a function of the amount of usage.

All costs and choices vary by person, resources and personal freedom.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #158

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Amen, Honda!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #159

Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Norm,
I agree with you! The individual person does make a difference. Especially, in the TV and camper that we choose. Politics and taxes play a big part in these two items! Because the more taxes I have to pay into Uncle Sam and less amount of disposable income we have to spend on TV, camper and fuel, etc. I believe that the individual can manage their money better than the government. I would love to own a new Escape camper, (like Ms. Donna's) that is one beautiful camper! So, my option is to purchase a nice used camper. Unless, I can hit the lottery!
Bottom line is we don't have to agree on politics, but let's agree that camping is fun and we can all enjoy being outside!
thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #160

Florida
Carl, Your quote is worthy of extended thought, not for the smile it brings bur for the reality of its meaning..

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra

It's certainly good to get the trailer you think you need, unfortunately what you need can changes with time for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes it's better to keep and enjoy what you have. Ginny reminds me of that.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16