Is it really worth it? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Donna,

I stole your quote and added it to a couple of my photos.

Utah, October 2012
Outer Banks, Frisco, NC , March 2013

Click image for larger version

Name:	You can always make money.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	74128

Click image for larger version

Name:	TAKE VACATIONS.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	74129
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Half price on electric hookup sites in MD. St pks on lifetime senior pass around 13$ a nite. I do not always drink beer but when I do I don't require egg in it but rather surrounding it. Our initial costs used egg, fix up and repair very comparable to N&J's. I bobtail it to the beer store in the TV so can't put full cost of that in the camping receipts folder altho I like a bit of actual leather and mahogany in a lightly used slightly abused UTE (the PO's daughter applied nail polish while driving apparently) w/ a nice old school v8 with enuf low end to get a ton and a 1/2 away from a stop light in the same day as everyone else. No one need feel compelled to trailer camp including myself. I'm too old to worry about amortization tables on every spoon and teacup and prefer a trailer in the driveway to a storage bldg full of vinyl trash that is worth less than the cost of storage.

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
FWIW, we travel with the dogs. Finding places that will accept pups over 20 lbs that don't charge outrageous extra fees is rare. E.g. $80/night cleaning fee.

It is worth it to us for that alone. There are many other advantages that fit our wants and needs. Need I say more?

There is one more thing, I've met lots of great people through owing a fiberglass trailer. You can't put a price on that.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms. Gayle View Post
donna,

i stole your quote and added it to a couple of my photos.

Utah, october 2012
outer banks, frisco, nc , march 2013

Attachment 74128

Attachment 74129
Nice Gayle!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #25

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
My dad came to a similar conclusion many years ago after selling his slightly used Class C Motorhome. He said for the money he lost on owning it he could have rented a Lincoln Continental and stayed in Motels/Hotels on the trips he had taken in it. I noted that he did not say the same thing about the truck mounted camper he previously had that was carried in the back of the pickup he had anyway. Also, he stayed many places that rooms would not necessarily have been available (as do most of us). He did enjoy certain features of the Class C that the truck mounted camper did not have though.

In my case we go more and do more since we own the Scamp. Once you have made the initial investment in TV and RV (fixed costs) the variable costs are relatively low. I have about 6K in my Scamp and my old TV has long since been paid for and sits in the driveway regardless. I did put new tires on it that I would not have bought otherwise for the limited amount of everyday use it gets but they were not that big an expense.

I will relate the following. I bought the Scamp so my then 10 year old daughter and I could spend more “quality time” together. My ex-wife left a couple of years ago and I have been doing the best I could to provide a stable life for my daughter given the to-and-fro of her living in a split home. It seems to be working and she is doing well seeming pretty well adjusted (as well as any kid) and grounded. The guy I bought the Scamp from bought it as an investment and never really used it. He related a story that after his divorce his daughter lived with the “ex” and when he finally got her back as a teenager he spent $20,000 to send her to drug rehab and counseling trying to get her straightened out, who knows if any of that really worked. So, would you rather spend money camping and enjoying life with your kid or money later trying to fight demons? The little Scamp may turn out to be the best investment I ever made!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #26

Name: Sally
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Massachusetts
Dogs

I would much rather just drive around and stay in hotels. But we have two little dogs that we love like kids. I wouldn't dream of leaving them in a kennel, and hiring someone to stay in my house is about $70 a night - if I could find someone I'm comfortable with.

Some hotels are OK with dogs, but you can't leave them alone for the day and go touring, and a lot of places won't let you bring them in.

So, we go camping for the dogs!
Sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #27

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Such a long thread in such a short time...............
But so enjoyable. It was like sitting around the kitchen
table with everyone having a cup of coffee or hot chocolate.

My thinking may be a bit different. The way things have been
the last six years, I can not see "storing" money in a bank. So
I prefer to buy tangible things right now. Money loses value
every day as if you buy the right things it will retain value or
appreciate.

That was one justification of our buying a Snoozy and Tacoma.
For health reasons we let them both go for a time but don't feel
we lost any money. And if we did lose any, the little lost was more
than made up for the extra time we spend together and the memories
we made. Perhaps later, God willing, we will be back out there again.

Right now I enjoy keeping a nice place, so own two zero turn mowers
and a push mower and two weed eaters. This also is one of those "not
for everyone." I enjoy it so it's worth it for me. I just bought a new
John Deere mower and have enjoyed brush hogging.

Now I'm dabbling in the RC flying plane hobby. It can get expensive in a
hurry if you really get hooked.

What's money worth?.....................NOTHING.
What's life worth?..........................Everything.

Donna may have put me in convert mode for a 5.0TC.............lol
So if circumstances warrant, maybe a new trailer and new pickup
will be in our future.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #28

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I have never stayed in a hotel and heard loons calling to each other in the early morning.
I have never witnessed so many shooting stars from a hotel balcony.
I have never stared across the glow of HD 32 inch flat screen and saw my wife the same way she looks in campfire light.
I actually enjoy the setup, taking generic camp space and making it uniquely ours.
I also love that my bedroom is within walking distance from El Captain, Carlsbad Caverns, Olympia, Arcadia, the Boundary Waters, Arches, or anywhere else we wish it to be.
These items and a whole host of others are what makes camping make sense to me.

Oh Sid, you're my kind of people!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #29

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Naah, you should save the $ and buy a HUGE casket to take it with you.

or

Say to heck with it! Get what you want, do what you want, live life large (in a simple space) meet wonderful folks as you travel this great land, soak up the wonders around you.

Then you'll really have something to tell those other folks sitting with you on the puffy clouds instead of continually recounting your cash.

Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #30

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Cost...schmost...it's the journey!

I'm a seasoned world traveler since the age of 6. I'm also an airline employee with access to the entire fleet of company planes and all their honeymoon destinations, as well as being a Hilton Honors and Marriott Rewards member...as most know it's not what it used to be and I do my airline travel, esp overseas in the "offseason". I'm not complaining but it's tough to get on a flight in the summer when the passenger loads are heavy. Also the planes are smaller and just cramped. As I age, I need my time off and take it seriously.

I bought my trailer for less than $4K, used of course, but it was road and camp ready. I also enjoy glamping it up and making it my own. I live in Northern California and am blessed with the Redwoods, Sierras, Yosemite, Napa Valley, Mother Ocean and even great local and regional parks to enjoy exploring and camping.

I also have a 14 year old family dog who's got a few or maybe two good years left so I'm enjoying seeing the sights with her. She loves wherever we go. This weekend I'm here in the Central Coast of California along the Monterey Bay. Last night it was so warm, I grabbed the sleeping bag and Molly Moobear, walked to the end of the campsite on the bluff...there were no fog/clouds at all, which is truly unusual for the Coast in the summer. I set up our bed and watched shooting stars for hours as I listened to the crash of mellow waves against the rocks below...it was balmy and there were NO bugs...No hotel room was going to give me the evening I had last night with my Moobear! :-)

A couple of young Germans are in the campsite next to me and this morning, I invited them over for breakfast and we chatted about their round the world trip, their first surf lesson in Fiji and watching the Humpbacks in the Bay this week/ How they're being taught how to feed and still making time to play and breach in plain sight! All of this kibbitzing and kvetching went on for over two hours, because camping lends itself to having time to enjoy what's around you without feeling the pressure of the rat rush.

This year, I've been out nearly every other weekend and this month every weekend...I'm booked all the way until October and looking to keep myself busy until hopefully the rains come to end this drought we're in!

I do hope this thread encourages you to make use of the equipment you've invested in and find the joys of the road less traveled.

Happy Trails....
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:15 PM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It's all about one's personal priorities and likes/dislikes. I don't like being stuck in the house all summer (I have summers off from work, and it's HOT in Oklahoma during summer). I do like the smell of the pines and cedars, the caress of a light 70 degree breeze while walking, the sounds of the outdoors, and great scenery. Traveling and taking scenic photos has always been important to me. Plus it's good for me (I get more exercise!).

I already need to have a tow-worthy vehicle for work, so that is covered. I have to eat, too. The costs for me are the trailer, the gas, and the campground fees.

This summer is a little different for me, because I sold the trailer recently and I haven't gotten a replacement. But the Tetons are calling me! So I am trying something different. I bought a Coleman Instant Cabin 6 tent and a Coleman Comfortsmart Deluxe Camp Cot. This way I can zing to the Tetons in 2 days at 75 mph (instead of 2.5 days @ 60), and get 23 mpg (instead of 11) doing it. So in a way I'm sort of experimenting with the "is trailering really worth it" right now myself. After trailering for about 9 summers straight, it's time for something a bit different. I know I will miss being able to park in the campsite, simply jump into the trailer and eat/sleep/whatever regardless of the weather. But on the other hand I will be regaining a more intimate connection with the outdoors.

Our tenting many years ago was different. We'd set up a tent with poles that hardly seem to fit, cram the family into a barely-big-enough tent, and sleep on lousy pads on the ground. Now I'll be camping alone in a tent spacious enough to easily hold a surprisingly comfy cot plus my zero gravity lounger, with generous windows on all 4 sides so it can double as a screened shelter by day; and this tent with all poles pre-attached goes up and down amazingly fast. I'm really looking forward to giving this a try for a while. No trailer depreciation or maintenance or winterizing, half as much fuel expense, and faster travel to my distant destinations.

When I retire I'll have more time and speed won't matter so much. I'll definitely want an RV again by then for sure. Maybe much sooner... time will tell. In the meantime it's time for a new adventure! I expect to leave late next week.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #32

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Rob,

I've been giving your post more thought. There's certainly not much to disagree with. Low use results in high cost per use. As to cost, there's no doubt that having expensive 'hobbies' like boats, planes and rvs that are rarely used are expensive on a per use basis. Most of us have been down that road. I had a boat that never saw water.

It's obvious that most responders feel their life on the road is worth the cost, and usually their cost is not too excessive. However there were other comments in your post about the comparative stress of towing and setup/tear down time.

We have found towing a trailer relatively effortless. We choose routes that help making driving easier. For example when heading out we avoid the Interstates with their high speed and congestion. We do not drive as fast on non-Interstate roads which makes the drive more enjoyable and the fuel consumption less. If traffic builds behind us we just pull over and let them pass, not attempting to drive faster to lead the pack.

As to setup and tear down, when we reach a campsite it takes us less than 15 minutes to be set up. We've tried to organize our trailer living for minimum effort and hassle.

On days we drive, we wake up about at the usual 6 AM and are on the road by 8 AM after a good breakfast and getting ready for the day. The whole hookup process takes about 15 minutes, maybe 10 minutes more if we're dumping. With the early start we're usually done driving by noon. It's obvious we don't attempt long distance drives, another stress reducer.

Thanks for starting an interesting topic. I particularly enjoyed the words of the many happy travelers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #33

Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Someone sent this to me. I think it sums up "why" very nicely. The only thing missing is the tug needs to have an all molded towable behind it!
Donna,
Thanks for the words of encouragement! They are so right! Time flies by so fast, especially as we get older!
I needed to hear those words of wisdom today!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #34

Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
This a great discussion of the pros and cons of RVing! I have enjoyed reading everyone's input and thoughts! I am glad that there is such strong feelings on RVing and the cost! It appears that the cost can be measured in many different ways! More than just dollars and cents!
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experience on RVing!
I have learned a lot from reading this thread!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #35

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Someone posted this on a RV group page on Facebook. I see both the humor and the truth in it.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #36

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I like camping. The $ are not an issue for me.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #37

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
"Camping: Where you spend a small fortune to live like a homeless person"

Steve,

My view is a little the opposite. I have a small fortune that allows me to camp because I did not live or work like a homeless person.

I recently had to emcee a 50th wedding anniversary for a RV couple. The event took place in an RV park with about 100 older attendees. RVers generally seem to be solid citizens.

I researched reaching the fifty milestone (not millstone) and found that only 5% of American couples made it to their 50th. I asked the audience to raise their hands if they had made it to their 50th, well over 5%. Of course a biased audience but still. I find RV couples to generally like each other, maybe if you don't you can't travel for long periods in small spaces and yes there are people with 40 foot motor homes with 4 slide outs who think their space is too small, probably the reason for 45 foot motor homes.

Though it's not a concern in my decision to RV, I believe you can be a happy RVing couple for less than the cost of living in a traditional home. Actually if you're willing to do a little work you can live in some of the most beautiful and interesting places for no fees with full hookups.

Last year we were in the east side of the Chiricahua mountains at Sunny Flats Campground, surrounded by brilliantly colored cliffs, the silence of nature along with it's wildness (bear poop in the campground road). The sites are non-serviced except for the camp host and they were looking for one. An absolutely beautiful spot, just one of the campgrounds in the east side of the Chiricahua's Coronado Forest.

The west side the Chiricahua's Mountains has a single campground with sites only suited for fiberglass sized RVs. Ginny and I have visited the Chiricahua Mountains four times in our travels. Really worth the trip.

Definitely not my intent to attack the homeless, I started and manned both a soup kitchen and homeless shelter in my younger days and in some measure understand their plight.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #38

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
For the first 4 years I owned Condo A-GO-GO, I only used it once or twice a year. It was too much work for just a 3 day weekend. But, now that I can make my weekends as long or short as I want, it gets alot of use. I especially like National Parks. Even though they don't have hookups, and you have to fill your fresh water tank before going in, where else will elk or deer walk right thru your campsite? That don't happen at Holiday Inn. It's only as expensive a you let it become. When it becomes work, then I'll quit.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #39

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A couple of counterpoints which are just as subjective as the points to which they refer...
1] I prefer the Interstate highway system to reach the general area of interest. It is faster even at moderate speeds, it is generally safer and holding a steady speed without constant stops provides me with better fuel economy, and less stress on both people and equipment. Without the Interstate system, our yearly pilgrimage to southern Florida for instance would be tedious and impractical. I do see the merits of backroads and two lanes for interest and exploration when a destination is not paramount.

2] I feel much more like a homeless person when I find myself searching(almost begging) for a motel room, than I do knowing that my snug little home is reassuringly clinging to my bumper proffering all the comforts of the finest accommodations.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #40

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
My wife and I started camping when young because we couldn't afford motels/restaurants. Then our two kids came along. Anyway, we became hooked on camping. First in tents and some backpacking. Jump ahead to a station wagon that slept the four of us, a van that we slept in, under a topper on the back of a pickup, several popup trailers, some travel trailers, two fifth wheels, and now my EggCamper. Though my wife passed away, I wintered in Arizona last winter in my EggCamper. The only thing we never had was a motorhome. This lifestyle has become a way of life. We both disliked motels for the reasons previously stated. I just bought a new to me 2012 Chevy Silverado 4x4 and have ordered an Escape 19. My philosophy is that we earned it and are entitled to use our money however we choose. One of my favorite sayings is "if I don't spend it, the kids will get it." They're already getting a small amount of their inheritance so I can enjoy seeing them using it for whatever. I have told both kids about spending it and they're fine with it. And no matter what, they'll become the 5th generation in the family to own the land where I live bought by my great grandfather after he got out of the Union army. Besides that, how many overnight hotel guests have you spent an evening with? RVers, in my book, are the best.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote