Is Parkliner Out of Business? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #61

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Eggcamper is another very small operation. But it keeps on going.
Yup and Escape also started out small in the families back yard and then moved to a small faculty with a handful of employees before moving to a larger ones. Still a family run business. It wasn't & has not been easy for them either. Lots of personal scarifies and gambles taken. They have had bumps/issues along the way as well. But anyone who has purchased from them or has considered purchasing from them or has had work done by them on another brand of trailer or had a problem at some point with one of their trailers whether they be the first or second owner of the trailer will say that besides having a nice product, the reason for their success is their good communication skills & customer relations.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #62

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Missing Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Bob...did you leave D) out on purpose...the most important one?

D) CUSTOMERS

May be too late....
Nope, Didn't forget
We know that they have a good product, add the other components and the customers will come.....

Old 07-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I thought the customers WERE the problem.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #64

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
KUDOS to you Roadie!

You've done all you can do for Parkliner and us as far as I'm concerned. It will be interesting to see if he responds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie1 View Post
Darrel- I did. This was the text I sent Chandler:

Hello chandler, I hope your well. There is a Post in the FRV forum stating y'all are out of business. I sure hope not. Anyway here's the link. You may want to chime in and tell them the whole story if your going to continue to make PL's. Happy 4th!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ess-70343.html
Old 07-18-2015, 09:25 AM   #65

Name: Frank
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
Don't know if this was posted already but I did find a listing that says the business is for sale. Fiberglass RV Camper Trailer Manufacture: Business For Sale in Gibsonville, Guilford County, North Carolina, United States on BizBuySell.com
Old 07-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #66

WOW.... There is a lot of info in the advertisement, but the most telling is the reason for selling, basically the heart of 99% of all successful business ventures.
(clip)
"Reason for Selling: Gifted at design & engineering; not so with business and financial things"

Old 07-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #67

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBFrank View Post
Hmmm, after all the reports of Chandler not being willing to "let go" of control how much stock can be put in this ad?
Old 07-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #68

It sounds like reality has reared it's ugly head.....

Old 07-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #69
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
I too wonder what's changed his mind. As I posted prior a deal to sell was on the table a few months back and at the 11th hour Chandler nixed it.
When all is said and done it is still his business and he can do as he pleases.
I wish him well....
Old 07-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #70

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
when I travel with my Scamp, I seldom find other Scamps along the way, unless we are going to a rally.
At Sebring last February we had what was nearly the largest gathering of Parkliners in history... TWO!

My congratulations goes out to those who own Parkliners. They are not just orphans, but in effect are custom made (almost prototype) trailers, which are well made and almost completely unique.
You took the initiative to seize an opportunity... its almost like owning a Pantera...

DeTomaso body work with common car mechanicals!
Old 07-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #71

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Frank you did good! Thanks for the post and I (and dont believe anyone else has seen that ad til now) That answers to the "Tom" guy I believe it was that use to be the "salesman" for the Parkliner. But if I remember correctly, they parted ways and the business started its downhill spiral.

I'd still like to see inside a Parkliner. I've never heard any "bad" about it.

One thing I will have to give Chandler credit - on the ad he's baring his heart by telling whom ever that he's not a "business" person. Too bad he didnt have any dependable relatives who were that could help continue the business and make it into another Scamp/Casita empire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBFrank View Post
Old 07-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #72
DJO

Name: DJO
Trailer: Parkliner #40 something
Colorado
Registry
Those were nice words Floyd. Thanks. I do feel like a "Parkliner Orphan" but at least the back and forth about the company is over. This wonderful site and its' contributors, with all makes of campers, has always been a great stepfamily. Time to move forward and go camping.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #73

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437256014.242667.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	86779
Well I hate that he's basically gone. But I'm thrilled that I got one of the last ones. Particularly one with no issues. Seems the bugs were worked out in the first generation models. We've logged quite a few trips in the soul and have loved every minute. I'm in the North Georgia mountains now with my daughter and two nieces for the weekend. Next weekend we'll be in North Carolina camping. Here's a shot of solitude before three screaming adolescent girls get back from walking the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #74

Name: Tab
Tennessee
Logged quite a few trips in the south....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #75

Name: Huck
Virginia
If I was 20 years younger ...

I think the biggest cost problem they had was it was just too expensive to assemble all the parts. In other words, it took too long to go from the empty trailer to the fully loaded trailer. Lack of quality control also made for unnecessary costs.

If someone could get the build costs down, I think this might be a great business.

Thirty years ago I owned a business, and my partner and I would spend hours figuring out how we could get the job done faster. We came up with new techniques and tools that allowed us to do with 2 men what took our competitors 4 men. That same type of thinking needs to be applied to Parkliner. Cut the build time in half and watch the money roll in.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #76

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

I've shared in the past that I enjoy being an early adopter...I looked at the Parkliner as such, and that since it was a startup had no track record or any indication (other than a product I liked) that it would make it to even #100... BUT I was optimistic since I do have 035 on the back of ours as a hull number : )

What I do know is that nearly every trip out, including the last week's where we logged ~600 miles... there were thumbs up, waves, and "Can we look inside" at nearly every stop along the way.

Here's to early adopters, and orphans!

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
Old 07-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #77
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Perhaps this is as good a place to ask this as any....
I have never understood why Chandler would patent his "Magic table" design and not the fiberglass to frame construction ( unless it's not his design). Basically even if the windows leaked profusely you would never get a single drop coming in contact with the floor edge.
Seems to me if I were selling my design I would highlight a possible solution to a common issue.
Sid
Old 07-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #78

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Perhaps this is as good a place to ask this as any....
I have never understood why Chandler would patent his "Magic table" design and not the fiberglass to frame construction ( unless it's not his design). Basically even if the windows leaked profusely you would never get a single drop coming in contact with the floor.
Seems to me if I were selling my design I would highlight a possible solution to a common issue.
Sid
I can give you a possible answer. Patents aren't cheap. It's several thousand dollars for each patent. Now what do you have when have a patent? You have full disclosure, meaning everybody has access to your patent information. A patent is declaration of intent to sue if copied. Law suits are extremely expensive. Trade secretes can be kept instead of disclosed. Many companies often avoid patents because of the expense and disclosure.

Another issue with patents is you have to be absolutely sure there's no "prior art". Meaning somebody, anyplace in the world, hasn't published something describing what you're patenting at any point in time before you apply for the patent.

That could explain why Chandler didn't have more patents.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:50 PM   #79

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
You also need to have the cash to take anyone to court in order to protect your patent. If someone makes a similar product but claims it is not the same as your patent it can involve lots of legal expense. A patent might not be worth the expense.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #80

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Anybody know how much Chandler is asking for the business?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
Closed Thread

Tags
parkliner