Is this why we don't like stick-built? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Is this why we don't like stick-built?

I have a feeling that a FGRV of the same vintage might be in somewhat better shape?

https://goo.gl/photos/bt955jrr7wkihQWP7

(LOL)
Ellpea
EllPea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I belong to several sticky classic groups on Facebook. OMG what some of those folks are willing to do to bring their classic trailers back to useable. I don't have enough time OR money to even consider it. YMMV

And "you" thought replacing an entire wood floor was tough.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
At the vintage trailer show in Palm Springs one of the guys who restored a caned ham said there was not one original part of the trailer . The only thing he used the original trailer for was to make templates.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:26 AM   #4

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Geez, I think we're all being way too hard on those poor stickies. This one must have *some* redeeming qualities *somewhere,* mustn't it?

Ellpea
EllPea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:13 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
At the vintage trailer show in Palm Springs one of the guys who restored a caned ham said there was not one original part of the trailer . The only thing he used the original trailer for was to make templates.
Reminds me of the 100 year old hammer. Over the years it's had two new heads and three new handles. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:17 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good one Raz, think I've got a couple of hammers like that.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:53 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That's actually an early mobile home I do believe. I would say it has been sitting there for some time. On some of the older stick models, the frames are worth more than the asking price for the trailers and for those that want to build, they can sometimes get them for free. I saw a local ad yesterday (was going to post it but it must have sold overnight) where someone had taken a stick trailer down to the frame and rebuilt it doing a nice job and they had some photos of the rebuild included in their Craiglist posting.

I have seen molded fiberglass in pretty poor shape and rehabbed into a true work of art. It is nice to see anything from the past brought back to life. A labor of love. I don't have that MUCH love to give anymore. I am "sweat equity broke."
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:19 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I am "sweat equity broke."

I completely understand. I am absolutely willing and able to pay for stuff and to have it done. My issues are that I either can't find what I want or am unwilling to pay the crazy money asked to get it done. It does not help that I am a handy fellow and already have the tools. The good news is that I feel my old Scamp is worth spending the time and effort to improve or mod to my tastes.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Looking at the rehabs done by members of sisters on the fly, I can see the attraction of the old tiny trailers - so imaginative and cozy!!
I still don't get the attraction to bulgemobiles - New or old!

Anne H
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:44 PM   #10

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
I've done a few restores myself. My last one before the Burro was a 9' Field and Stream. If interested, you can see what I went through to get it in the shape you see it in the pic below at Restoring a Tiny Field and Stream

I also had a 1956 15' canham that all I had to do was repaint the outside and clean the insides. Compaired to the Burro restore. I spent the same money but it took me a year to restore the F&S whereas it only took 4 months to restore the Burro.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:59 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I just love that little Field and Stream. That is my most favorite color in vintage. I am member at tnttt.com and had seen it before. We considered building and still consider it off and on.

In our case, in our location, we compete against a re-seller for anything molded fiberglass that comes up within about 4 hours of where we live and that person must sit at the computer waiting, can travel at a moment's notice, and puts up the same unit at 150% or more of the listed price that I saw in the original ad. That's business and I understand it but our choice is either buy new molded fiberglass or choose another type unit. Our location is really the pits when it comes to purchasing anything at all but the house is on the market, dead one, but that still offers hope.

I think it is good to have a healthy attitude toward restoring anything from the past. One of my dreams is to go to the RV Hall of Fame in Elkhart which is actually just maybe 30 miles from where I grew up but no museum at that time. This is a link and it looks so cool: RV/MH Hall of Fame - Museum - Library - Conference Center

I love RVs of ALL types. My interest in molded fiberglass started when I saw one in AZ (1990) that the neighbors pulled with a Pinto wagon. It was the tiny 13' Scamp. I'm guessing it had to be nearly empty inside. She said they had no problems going through the mountains. They had pulled it from Wisconsin.

To me, in the molded fiberglass, nothing is more beautiful than the Scamp Deluxe.

There is a definite revival of the older units and in RVing. Was looking at what RV sites could be reserved in some of the KS parks next month and people are definitely getting out there.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:06 AM   #12

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Gage---GREAT photos of the rebuild! It is a beauty. And I love the colour of the curtains---excellent choice.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #13

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I love the old vintage trailers too - FG or stick built. Would love to restore an old vintage cutie but we have no place to do that kind of work. Every once in awhile I look at the Tin Can Classifieds to day dream about having a little "canned ham". We think it would be great to have our Bigfoot for long trips and a little vintage trailer for weekends and vintage trailer rallies.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote