It took about four years to become Egg People - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2022, 10:32 AM   #1

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
It took about four years to become Egg People

Hello fellow EGG People,

We started the path towards a molded fiberglass trailer about four years ago, joined this and other forums and asked lots of questions and then became discouraged and purchased a very nice no OSB 23' trailer we have enjoyed.

The desire to tow a trailer with my vehicle instead of our truck led me to take up the search again and I gave myself until mid October. We received a ton of great advice for which we are grateful. After taking all that wonderful advice another people's experience into consideration along with how we camp and what we wanted from our camping experiences (off the grid primarily) we looked at many vintage and even newer Eggs and made a decision to pursue a Trillium 4500 and bought one yesterday.

We used the inspection sheet, provided through this site, whenever we looked at trailers and it helped us find a sound 1977 Trillium 4500 we spent a good hour and a half on inspecting, looking at and thumping about every nook and cranny, top to bottom, interior and exterior. We were the first to call so the seller waited for us to be able to make the long trip to see it. Ours is a two owner one stored indoors most of it's life so the fiberglass was in amazing condition. After much deliberation, the 4500 fit all our criteria, including the space for my tall, Viking hubs to comfortably be in. After I dragged him to see another 13' trailer, including the trillium 1300, I thought he looked like a wee kid in detention in that size trailer and so I knew we either had to stay with our larger newer trailer or look at something a bit bigger. Several people I have been in conversations with on the Trillium Owners FB site comfortably tow their Trillium 4500's with 4 cyl vehicles rated to tow 2800 lbs and we are well familiar with tongue weight, load distribution, etc. so we will be safe, especially with trailer breaks, anti sway, etc.

When hubs was in the 4500 he just looked comfortable in the larger front dinette seats and he fits well in the wider and longer rear dinette, bed combo. He can almost stand up in the 6'1" interior. Am making a curtain to divide the "bedroom" area from the rest of the trailer for porta potty privacy when needed and the design allows for stowage of such a thing without losing the dinette. We have work to do as all vintage trailers require unless a frame up restoration has been done in the past few years but feel good about doing that as time allows considering the price we paid (not a bargain but well within the realm of being able to put a new frame, axle and do interior updating and still being within selling price of a frame up restoration). The trailer is capable as is once given a good cleaning as all the other components work. It has a three way fridge and furnace, something we wanted due to no hookups when we camp- Rust is at a minimal throughout the trailer. The owner changed tires out religiously and maintained it well. We think this will be a good start. Time will tell and will keep you posted on any discoveries or things we do that might help others.

This forum is simply amazing. Thanks to everyone who contributes through questions that raise thoughts and opinions and to you 'experts' who help us become more aware of what we are getting into. Let the fun begin!
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:23 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sweet! Trilliums were the high end molded fiberglass units of their day, and the 4500 is perhaps the best of the best.

Time for some fall camping!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:30 PM   #3

Washington
Thanks Jon! Yes, Fall camping- we are pretty excited.Once some needed cosmetic upgrades are done and the systems gone though we will see how we do in it. On the way back from picking the trailer up we passed the town of Hope, Canada where there is a huge vintage trailer campout and then the town of Lynden where there is another one. Hope to attend some of those but I doubt until both retired since we reserve summer for boating. Anyway, we are pleased at this point with the purchase though I will have to tell you that Ivory fiberglass color it came in looks like it live din a smoker's glen. No offense to smoker's meant- it just has the same yellow tinge and reminds me of the olden days when people could smoke wherever and that tinge was a part of life....Happy Camping and thanks for all the encouragement for us to get a smaller molded fiberglass trailer. And we got the Nod from another egg owner in Canada who was towing a 13' Boler. Kind of fun.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:09 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Please post pictures of your 4500.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Congratulations! Once again persistence pays off. Know you'll enjoy it.
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:41 AM   #6

Washington
Thanks! Yes, and waiting for one that needs the basics but not a complete over haul. The Ensolite lis near perfect in the cupboards and on the walls and ceiling so we feel fortunate. The fiberglass is in incredible condition from having been stored sheltered it's entire life. It is glossing up beautifully.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:39 AM   #7

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Four year wait? OK

Glad you found the trailer you were looking for and paired with a TV that can handle it.

My experience started in 2001 finding the Casita Club site and finally ended in 2017 when I purchased a 1999 SD. So, the journey was worth it for me as well. It sure beats the heck out of car camping, on the ground or under canvas. So, many happy trails and comfortable nights away from home.
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:06 PM   #8

Washington
We think we are going to love it. While everything worked we ended up replacing the major components due to age and decided to really go through the TT to get it customized for how we will use the trailer. The trailer didn't need structural repairs so doing the work we are doing is taking less time than a ground up restoration but still taking time because of waiting for parts, kind of a frustrating part but also a lesson so it all works out. We pulled windows and were so pleased to find no rot because it had been stored under cover it's entire life other than when used for summer camping. We can't wait to camp in it and start making memories in what I am affectionately calling Old Yeller due to the yellowish color, not my favorite but growing on me. Hope to be done with the work we are doing this year over the next two weekends and then camping weekend of TG after the family get together.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:19 PM   #9

Washington
Will do David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Please post pictures of your 4500.
Hope to be done with this years work over the next couple of weekends. Once that work is done will post pictures. They are pretty neat trailers. The extra space has made a big difference to us due to hubs height. He feels comfortable in there and so that makes me happy about the TT working for both of us. It has been a lot of fun figuring out design we want for us.

It came with a front dinette which I really, really wanted but after much thought are converting to a couch. We thought long and hard about how we use our current larger trailer and realized we rarely used the large dinette unless the grandkids came in there for some cocoa or to color or visit. Otherwise we are outside with everyone else. We found he perfect design for now by making a permanent half bed in the rear dinette along with a small two person dinette in front of the half bed that will convert to the rest of the bed at night. This allows for both dining and napping there during the day as well as an extra surface for cooking needs, grandkids cocoa, tc. . The couch in the front allows me a comfortable reading area all day long, especially during rainy or winter camping when we do most of our camping and a great place to stow the porta potty without giving up one of the side seats ample storage. I'm excited to share our mods once we are done.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:22 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangie View Post
It came with a front dinette which I really, really wanted but after much thought are converting to a couch. We thought long and hard about how we use our current larger trailer and realized we rarely used the large dinette unless the grandkids came in there for some cocoa or to color or visit. Otherwise we are outside with everyone else. We found he perfect design for now by making a permanent half bed in the rear dinette along with a small two person dinette in front of the half bed that will convert to the rest of the bed at night. This allows for both dining and napping there during the day as well as an extra surface for cooking needs, grandkids cocoa, tc. . The couch in the front allows me a comfortable reading area all day long, especially during rainy or winter camping when we do most of our camping and a great place to stow the porta potty without giving up one of the side seats ample storage. I'm excited to share our mods once we are done.
I look forward to your pictures. I think making the rear dinette to a U-shaped dinette is a good idea. Lots of seating space on a rainy day. Since that dinette is primarily a bed the extra bench storage along the back of the trailer makes sense. How are you mounting the table? The floor there is above the water tank, so a pedestal mount could be difficult.

I would also love to see pictures of your existing front dinette. If your Trillium is a 1977, the front dinette must be a modification. The front dinette was not made by Trillium till 1979. Once again, I would like to know how the table is mounted. When you convert it back to a bench, are you going to make it possible to convert it to a bunk bed?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:11 PM   #11

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Good for you! Many times people buy campers BEFORE doing their homework and end up disappointed.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 08:38 PM   #12

Washington
Dave, you are correct about the dinette. From what we understand, the first owner had it modified. It appears they just placed wood over the opening on both sides, painted that and raised the floor in-between there to accommodate the table leg base, a regular RV table base mount- one of those round ones you stick a table leg into. It looked as though there was a piece of wood one could put in the center to convert it to a bed. We will not be needing bunks so will not do that. Ours has upper cabinets which are useful to me. The TT has lots of storage.

Will try and get you some pictures next weekend when we bring it to the home to work on it. Husband is building something that will guard the water tank where we will mount a pedestal mount cut to size. He is modifying the area to create the 1/2 permanent bed (more like almost 2/3rd) and will put a lip on both sides to take light ply to make the bed. will take pictures of that as well when it occurs. We have lost the weight of two very heavy tables and the the older furnace. I need to keep everything light to accommodate our tow vehicle specs and take the amount of propane we want for our firepit and shelter, two things we use often and make winter camping extra enjoyable.

Tags
eco