Italian FG caravan - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2006, 11:37 AM   #21

Trailer: Lander (401)
Registry
Quote:
Welcome Rob! Welcome Susy! Merry Christmas to both of you. It is very nice to see that there are more fiberglass lovers out there!

It proved to be a good thing that I didn't want to scrub the kitchen floor last night and surfed the web instead!

Grazie anche a te Lizbeth... I write in italian because the my english is very terrible

Buon Natale anche a te!

ciao
robirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:12 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome
Old 12-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Welcome Rob and Susy! I enjoyed the looking at both the Australian site and your epocaravan forum. I appreciate your participation in these English-language forums; your English is infinitely better than my Italian!

If I understand the specifications correctly, the four metre length is for the body of the trailer; by the North American standard of measuring the overall length (including tongue) of travel trailers, this is a 17' model. It looks comparable to my Boler B1700RGH in size and layout, although it is significantly lighter; it's closer in width and proportions to the Escape 17. Susy explained in one of the linked epocaravan posts that there are three models; they appear to be shorter and longer variations in addition to the 401 (presumably 401 cm which is 4.01 m or 13' 2" ):
  • 340 model, presumably with a 340 cm (3.40 m or 11' 2") body, and
  • 474 model, presumably with a 474 cm (4.74 m or 15' 7") body.
Only the 401 and 474 are shown the floorplan image.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:42 PM   #24

While most of the European fiberglass trailers seem to used moulded panels mounted on a body framework, the Lander appears to be constructed like most of our eggs: upper and lower moulded shells. The Lander club's construction page shows this well; I like the walnut analogy!
Old 12-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #25

Name: Lex
Trailer: BIOD
Drenyhe
Registry
Quote:
While most of the European fiberglass trailers seem to used moulded panels mounted on a body framework,
Which ? I don't know them, Brian.
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:19 PM   #26

Trailer: Casita 17 ft and Casita 13 ft
Welcome Italian Brothers & Sisters!!! So glad you joined the forum.

Oh... the places you can take your camper.... the history.... the architecture.... the food.... the wonderful Italian people you will meet in your travels.

Please take us along with you! As you travel around your beautiful country and beyond, we would love to see pictures of the places you visit with your cool camper.

I hear Florence, Venice, Rome, Naples calling me! Makes me tempted to try to float my egg across the Atlantic. Well... guess not, but I will enjoy being a mental traveler to places I've always dreamed of going.

Merry Christmas!
Patty C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:09 PM   #27

Trailer: Lander (401S)
Dear friends (because the caravannist are all friend... even if they are separated by the atlantic see ) we are very happy of your greeting!!! You're very kindly with us...
I am a little affected... we live therefore far but it seems to know you already for a long time... In our travels around the Europe we enjoy to meet people of other nations... and hear their experience, their way of life... I think that this are the best moments of the travel

I wish you understand what I want to say, because I'm aware that my English is much approximative
miss susy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We can understand.Post lots and enjoy.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #29

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Buon Natale, Susy e Rob.

Anche buon Capo di Anno.

Approximative Italiano?

ciao
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:00 PM   #30

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I wish you understand what I want to say, because I'm aware that my English is much approximative
Suzy, we understand your writing just fine! Your English is substantially better than my Italian. If we had to communicate and you didn't understand English as well as you do, I'd be drawing pictures and you'd have to figure out what I meant! Your English is perfectly adequate! My Italian, on the other hand, is... well... my entire Italian vocabulary is "spaghetti" and "vino".

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Which ? I don't know them, Brian.
It seems that every time we see information about a new European fiberglass trailer in this forum, they are assembled from multiple panels, which is how they achieve shapes in which the walls and roof could not be moulded as one piece. We have seen construction photos clearly showing the framework, but these may not be typical of common designs. The Cadet and Captain designs are older examples of such a shape, and I thought that they had been described as having internal framework, although I could have misunderstood.

Perhaps there is no framing, the panels do form the structure, and the only difference is that the joints are on the edges of these squared designs (like the newest BIOD), rather than around the middle like the North American two-piece standard "egg" (and the Lander and older BIODs)?
Old 12-25-2006, 05:23 PM   #32

Drenyhe
Registry
Quote:
It seems that every time we see information about a new European fiberglass trailer in this forum, they are assembled from multiple panels, which is how they achieve shapes in which the walls and roof could not be moulded as one piece. We have seen construction photos clearly showing the framework, but these may not be typical of common designs. The Cadet and Captain designs are older examples of such a shape, and I thought that they had been described as having internal framework, although I could have misunderstood.

Perhaps there is no framing, the panels do form the structure, and the only difference is that the joints are on the edges of these squared designs (like the newest BIOD), rather than around the middle like the North American two-piece standard "egg" (and the Lander and older BIODs)?
Brian, I don't know the details of the Predom (aka Cadet).
In fact it is not important of how many molded parts a body consists as long as the parts are laminated to one seemless unit. The latest models of BIOD consist of 5 parts: front, rear, roof and 2 sides. This is done because it is more simple to introduce longer or shorter models. Molds are very expensive.
Till now the molded parts of the BIODs are hand laminated, resulting in a single layer with a thickness of about 4 mm. They are now introducing the vacuum technique resulting in thinner inner and outer layers with insulation in between.
The Lander has double layers with insulation in between.
The Predom parts are of the single layer type.
There are hardly new grp trailers in Europe. There have been introduced 2 small molded grp trailers from a Portugese manufacturer.
And they all have got no framing.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Brian, I don't know the details of the Predom (aka Cadet).
In fact it is not important of how many molded parts a body consists as long as the parts are laminated to one seemless unit. The latest models of BIOD consist of 5 parts: front, rear, roof and 2 sides. This is done because it is more simple to introduce longer or shorter models. Molds are very expensive.
This is the biggest difference which I noticed between the typical North American egg (as well as the Lander and older BIOD) and designs such as the newer BIOD: the traditional eggs use only two pieces, presumably to minimize the cost of bonding the panels and finishing the joints to achieve a "seamless" body. I thought that the Predom panels were assembled to a frame, but maybe not - can a Cadet or Captain owner help here?

Quote:
Till now the molded parts of the BIODs are hand laminated, resulting in a single layer with a thickness of about 4 mm. They are now introducing the vacuum technique resulting in thinner inner and outer layers with insulation in between. The Lander has double layers with insulation in between. The Predom parts are of the single layer type.
That single layer is about the same thickness as the Boler and similar trailers here, which is usually quoted as 1/8".

The double-layer sandwich with insulation in the middle seems like a very desirable design to me. It is one of the unusual features of the Geographic trailer which we have been recently discussing.

The North American eggs with two layers and (optionally) insulation are not bonded together, so they don't act as a structural sandwich. Can anyone describe how the Lander sandwich is constructed?

Quote:
There are hardly new grp trailers in Europe. There have been introduced 2 small molded grp trailers from a Portugese manufacturer.
And they all have got no framing.
Now I need to go find those recent links to European manufacturers, which I think were from Eastern European countries...
Old 12-25-2006, 11:54 PM   #34

Drenyhe
Registry
Quote:
Now I need to go find those recent links to European manufacturers, which I think were from Eastern European countries..
In october I posted this message:

BIOD uses an 'open mold' technique.
Vacuum injection is a 'closed mold' technique.
Maybe this can help.
I made a translation of the text on the overview page.
Try this url please: http://biod.info/2006jaarbeurs/default.htm

Links are on the latter url.
Do you mean these?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #35

Trailer: Lander (401 and 340 Bora)
Buon Natale...

Hello to all… I write on http://epocaravan.forumfree.net/ and are a collector of Lander…. Posseggo 4 lander, 2 lander 401 and 2 lander 340, they are all in glass-reinforced plastic and if you interest you I can also describe as they are made. Me aid with the translator of google because I do not speak English.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0001.JPG  
enec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #36

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hello Enec!

Thanks for sharing and welcome to Fiberglass RV!

Ciao Enec! Ringraziamenti per la compartecipazione ed il benvenuto a vetroresina RV!<blockquote>(Hello Enec! Thanks for the compartecipazione and the welcome to glass-reinforced plastic RV!)</blockquote>
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:03 AM   #37

Trailer: Lander (401 and 340 Bora)
Grazie a te Gina, e scusa il mio inglese, la colpa č di Google!!!<blockquote>(Thanks to you Gina, and excuse my English, the guilt is of Google!!!)</blockquote>

Grazie un te Gina, inglese del il di scusa di e milioni di, č di Google di colpa della La!!! <blockquote>(Thanks you of million and English, Gina excuse, are of Google of guilt of the!!!)</blockquote>
enec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:12 PM   #38

Trailer: Lander (401S)
Quote:
If I understand the specifications correctly, the four metre [b]length is for the body of the trailer; by the North American standard of measuring the overall length (including tongue) of travel trailers, this is a 17' model.
Hi Brian!
Yes it is right... four metre is the body of the trailer

Quote:
While most of the European fiberglass trailers seem to used moulded panels mounted on a body framework, the Lander appears to be constructed like most of our eggs: [b]upper and lower moulded shells.
Yes, the lander is build like a walnut... two parts united in the middle...
you can see my website. Here you can find an interview to a technician that have worked in Lander factory and he explain the building process.
http://www.epocaravan.virtuale.org/Lander%20Levante.htm

I ask him: Can you describe the constructive process of a Lander caravan ?
And he answered me: You try to imagine a frying pan, to the inside this was dealt with of the wax of bees for six or seven times. It came then painted with white bicomponent resin, and the all put in a furnace to an approximately temperature of 45°. Then it was passed to the resinatur that consisted in a formed machinery from a gun that sprayed the incolore resin, like the gun of a carriage maker? He make a vertical jet and it moves from right to left and viceversa. This instead had a horizontal jet and over there was a cutter that cut a fiberglass and deposited it over the jet of the resin. With some cylinders then it join it over the colorful stamp (frying pan), brought back to the furnace and, once dry, with the aid of the air of a compressor extracted the shell.

I hope that is clear... excuse me for the bad translation!!!

Brian, could you show me a picture of your trailer, please?
Thank you!
miss susy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:28 PM   #39

Trailer: Lander (401)
Registry
Thanks.
You are everybody very kindly.
A question:
Where I can find the pictures of your caravans in this forum?

Thanks to everybody. I am very happy to have found others caravan's estimators

ciao , roberto
robirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:35 PM   #40

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Thanks.
You are everybody very kindly.
A question:
Where I can find the pictures of your caravans in this forum?

Thanks to everybody. I am very happy to have found others caravan's estimators

ciao , roberto
Hi Roberto,

We have a section called “[b]Albums” that has photos of all the brands. You can find the link at the top of every page.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote