Italian FG caravan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2006, 06:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
http://vintagecaravans.proboards30.com/ind...read=1166209626

I ran across this on the Aussie Vintage caravan site. Note the really cool frame and folding countertop.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Lizbeth, that is just too cool! Thanks for sharing it.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
the side sink is interesting. Wish there was a floorplan to look at!

Momma Mia! Thatsa nice a trailah!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #4

Registry
Another from the Italian site linked in the above post...

http://epocaravan.forumfree.net/?t=12107897

I wish I could read Italian (a bit is in english). There are some pretty cool trailers on that site, even fiberglass ones! Can you tell I'm trying to avoid doing the last minute house cleaning for tomorrow?
Old 12-23-2006, 08:58 PM   #5

Registry
Even more with some floor plans.

http://epocaravan.forumfree.net/?t=12437312

Looks like they have insulation between two layer of fiberglass.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
I'd go for a trailer like that. I like the large windows. But did you notice what she was pulling it with? That looked like 17 feet of trailer to me. Was that a Camry towing it, or a Hyundai Accent? It was a car, and not much of one. And Italy does have plenty of mountain roads. I often think we Americans are a wee bit conservative in our tow ratings.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:03 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
I'd go for a trailer like that. I like the large windows. But did you notice what she was pulling it with? That looked like 17 feet of trailer to me. Was that a Camry towing it, or a Hyundai Accent? It was a car, and not much of one. And Italy does have plenty of mountain roads. I often think we Americans are a wee bit conservative in our tow ratings.
The Lander owner posted:

"the Hyundai is 1,5litres gasoline and the weight of the caravan is 750 kg and is very light to tow"

"The my caravan is long 4 meters and large 2,08 meters"
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:57 AM   #8

Trailer:
Quite a few Lander trailers turned up to an Italian old trailer club meeting and there's lots of photos - click on the Lander models: Roulotte Antenate

The Lander trailers do have a club site, though there's very little info on models - but a few pictures of building them and some history: Lander Club

And for John and Benita, here is the winners of the British caravan club towcar competition: 2007 Towcar The photos will illustrate the ratio of trailer to tow vehicle that is considered reasonable by experienced towers (ie, people who tow, not the tall buildings!). It's interesting to see that their smallest winner, the Kia Rio, does not even have a tow rating in the US, but is allowed 2400lb in Europe.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #9

For those of us who are metrically challenged, that would be about 14' long and 7' wide and weighs 1650 pounds (roughly). I went back and looked at the photos as I'd have SWORN that had to be a 17' trailer. Alas, 'tis an optical illusion. That Hyundai just makes it look huge!

Interestingly, the second link the Liz provided shows "Suzy" with a Lander as the site administrator. Do you s'pose that could be the very same Suzy shown as the "wife" on the AU site?

It's nice to see that fiberglass addiction isn't solely a U.S. phenomenon. There are nuts like us all over the world!

And if you're interested in seeing how RVs are evolving in England, check out the Bailey site; the caravan used in the 2007 Caravan Club tow vehicle tests that Andrew linked to:

Bailey Caravans

Roger
Old 12-24-2006, 08:23 AM   #10

Trailer: Lander (401)
Registry
ciao,
I'm Roberto a moderator of http://epocaravan.forumfree.net
I see that you are very interested to Lander caravan, a fiberglass trailer, I invite you to visit my forum to see my Lander 401...
It is a fantastic van, very coibented, as every fiberglass van, and I'm very sodisfacted about it.
in this link there are the restorations of my caravan...

http://epocaravan.forumfree.net/?t=11910290

http://epocaravan.forumfree.net/?t=11891885

http://epocaravan.forumfree.net/?t=11887880

goodbye an merry christmas to everyone

ciao
Rob
robirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:31 AM   #11

Doing a Google search on "Caravan Tongue Weight" yields some interesting sites.

Here's one about using a Land Rover as a tow vehicle in some pretty remote locations. Note the air brake setup: Trailers and Caravans used off road

Roger
Old 12-24-2006, 08:34 AM   #12

Quote:
ciao,
I'm Roberto a moderator of http://epocaravan.forumfree.net
I see that you are very interested to Lander caravan, a fiberglass trailer, I invite you to visit my forum to see my Lander 401...
[/url]

goodbye an merry christmas to everyone

ciao
Rob
Hi Rob! On behalf of the moderators, staff and members of FiberglassRV.com, welcome! We've enjoyed your photos on your site. Thanks for dropping by! I hope you'll be a regular poster here. We have several international members, and we always enjoy a new perspective!

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

Roger
Old 12-24-2006, 08:41 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Hi Rob! On behalf of the moderators, staff and members of FiberglassRV.com, welcome! We've enjoyed your photos on your site. Thanks for dropping by! I hope you'll be a regular poster here. We have several international members, and we always enjoy a new perspective!

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

Roger

Thank's Roger
Old 12-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #14

Trailer: Lander (401S)
Hi to everyone!
I am a member staff of epocravan too... (I'm the admin).
I'm very happy to discover that there are so many lovers of fiberglass van!!!

In our forum there are now a new entry: a "lander olimpiade" a special edition of lander caravan an italian brand of fiberglass van...
You can look it klikking here: http://epocaravan.forumfree.net/?t=12037492&st=15

it isn't beautifull???

merry christmas to everyone
by
Susy (Rome - Italy)
miss susy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:45 AM   #15

I forget to say that in "hello" I give my welcome to you:

http://epocaravan.forumfree.net/?t=1308758...stpost#lastpost
Old 12-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #16

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
I ran across this on the Aussie Vintage caravan site. Note the really cool frame and folding countertop.
The folding countertop looks to be very much like the one in my Esterel (French). It's actually a very nice compromise between the "I want a kitchen in the trailer" camp and the "Skip the kitchen for more counter space" group. It's a kitchen when you want one and a ton of counter space when you want THAT. We've never used the stove or sink - but you can make both groups happy this way.

I'd be happy to grab some shots of how the counter works if anyone wanted to replicate it during a rebuild. Only problem you're likely to run into is the faucet.

It's also got the same hitch I do with the built-in parking brake (chocks??? I remember those! ) One of the wierder aspects of the hitch is that the actual hitch part can rotate 360-degrees relative to the trailer. Sometimes makes hitching-up awkward and looks wierd on the road. It ALWAYS ends up spinning over to one side so it looks seriously bent to anyone who doesn't know how it works. I don't THINK the rotation is a deliberate design feature as much as it is just a consequence of its being mounted on a pheumatic cylinder (triggers the surge brakes in travel). All in all, it's a very nice hitching system I wish we had the option of here more frequently (same hitch in on the T@B trailer!).

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #17

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
paisano!

Welcome to the forum! Nice trailers!

Watch out you guys, the Italians are coming and we will design a rig that EVERYTHING you cook in it will be wonderful!

Ciao! to Miss Susy and Roberto from Rome!

Gina D 2nd Generation US, roots in L'Aquila.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #18

Registry
Welcome Rob! Welcome Susy! Merry Christmas to both of you. It is very nice to see that there are more fiberglass lovers out there!

It proved to be a good thing that I didn't want to scrub the kitchen floor last night and surfed the web instead!
Old 12-24-2006, 11:33 AM   #19

Thanks to Gina and Lizbeth for the welcome!

L'aquila in Abbruzzo is a nice town... and the surround is wonderful!!! we have had a meeting of oldie caravan near Tagliacozzo in Abbruzzo... this is one picture

and here other pictures of the meeting:

http://epocaravan.forumfree.net/?t=11859818
http://epocaravan.forumfree.net/?t=11858073
Attached Thumbnails
tagliacozzo.jpg  
Old 12-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
paisano!

Welcome to the forum! Nice trailers!

Watch out you guys, the Italians are coming and we will design a rig that EVERYTHING you cook in it will be wonderful!

Ciao! to Miss Susy and Roberto from Rome!

Gina D 2nd Generation US, roots in L'Aquila.

hehehe... paisana!!
thank's Gina, Buon Natale