It's scam time again - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-12-2022, 01:19 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
It's scam time again

It’s that time of the year, or it will be starting soon. Fiberglass RV scams galore! So maybe it’s time to post this again. HOW TO SPOT A SCAM AD! The phone number is hookerized, or posted as part of the picture, when decoded it is a Google forwarding service with an out of state area code. It has poor English or grammar, or the dollar sign is after the price. The house in the background has the wrong architecture, (Northern Wisconsin houses do not have tile roofs). Vegetation is all wrong (there are no palm trees in northern Minnesota). Ad has no interior pictures, or the described floor plan is not same as pictures. Local posters would know that the map shows the Scamp in the middle of the lake. The price is too good to be true. Open the cover picture and do a Google search of the image, it may show you where the picture came from and the real asking price. Craig’s list has a space to give title status, if the seller cannot prove ownership TURN AND RUN! When in doubt, ask here, we can pick any ad apart. This ad is from my local Craigs list TODAY.
Attached Thumbnails
2022-01-12 13_11_27-Greenshot.png  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oooh a Prowler by Scamp! I've always wanted one. My nephew is a Deputy Sheriff in Eau Claire. Can he come by and check out the trailer for me?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Keep in mind that where the photo was taken isn't necessarily where it is located. it is a travel trailer, after all.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:07 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Registry
Prowler Rv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oooh a Prowler by Scamp! I've always wanted one. My nephew is a Deputy Sheriff in Eau Claire. Can he come by and check out the trailer for me?
Prowler by Scamp gets the seller TWO hits in the search.
My first trailer was a Prowler so that did catch my eye also.
I live just into Chippewa county in a village so small that it is not even on the map, yet we have THREE Scamps here, one of each size.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:34 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Keep in mind that where the photo was taken isn't necessarily where it is located. it is a travel trailer, after all.
True, when I sold my last camper I initially posted the ad with some pics I had from trips, with the intention of taking a series of detailed pics for the ad. Then I went out to the driveway to clean my stuff out of it out for the pictures. By the time I got back in the house it was basically sold... so I never took pics of it at the sale location.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:18 AM   #6

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Hey Donna, I grew up in a small town 20 miles south of Eau Claire.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:06 PM   #7

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
It's just amazing how stupid people can be. Anybody who doesn't do their homework....or sends money to someone without really knowing or verifying......gets what they deserve. BTW.....I am your grandson and stuck in jail for something I didn't do .....please send me $500 so I can post bail. Thanks Grandma!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:30 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
Trust me, send money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
It's just amazing how stupid people can be. Anybody who doesn't do their homework....or sends money to someone without really knowing or verifying......gets what they deserve. BTW.....I am your grandson and stuck in jail for something I didn't do .....please send me $500 so I can post bail. Thanks Grandma!
Back to fiber glass RVs, people have searched for months and jump on one that they are promised is in great condition, sight unseen. Then find out it is not in usable condition or has no registration/title. Trust but verify! Pay only after you are sure of the RV. One common reason for flagging on Craig's list is photo location, yet if I ever sold mine it would be with photos from the road. The Eau Claire ad above was flagged for removal shortly after posting. Side note on EAU camping, there is a great county campground at Augusta, Wisconsin.
Attached Thumbnails
08_coonforklake.jpg  
Old 01-13-2022, 05:34 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
How do I do an "Image Search"? TIA!
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:07 PM   #10

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
I had a phone call just yesterday from my “grandson.” Poor little tyke… I hung up on him.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:34 PM   #11

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Back to fiber glass RVs, people have searched for months and jump on one that they are promised is in great condition, sight unseen. Then find out it is not in usable condition or has no registration/title. Trust but verify! Pay only after you are sure of the RV. One common reason for flagging on Craig's list is photo location, yet if I ever sold mine it would be with photos from the road. The Eau Claire ad above was flagged for removal shortly after posting. Side note on EAU camping, there is a great county campground at Augusta, Wisconsin.

Trust but verify means don't trust.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:45 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Registry
Google image search instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
How do I do an "Image Search"? TIA!
https://support.google.com/websearch...form%3DDesktop
Old 01-14-2022, 05:43 PM   #13

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Heck, I thought this might be another thread about the Cortes.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:53 PM   #14

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
Hi, Kenneth. I'm going to post my Patriot for sale on here in a few days, and I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me on the ad after it goes up. I'm gonna start it really high because they no longer make the Patriots, and I'm in the northeast where they're extremely rare. I'm planning on using PayPal and am waiting for my bank to post my verification. They have an invoice that I can send to the buyer, making everything official. Would you be willing to be a reference if I send you an image of the title? I'm afraid of giving away the info to strangers. If you could verify to my buyer that you've seen the title and vin, that would be a big help to me. That would give my (potential) buyer a few days to get verified with PayPal, and get their own money arranged. Thanks. Sue
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:42 PM   #15

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
I had a phone call just yesterday from my “grandson.” Poor little tyke… I hung up on him.
Good for you.....
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:23 PM   #16

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Quote:
Good for you.....
My mother got scammed by the "grandson in jail" scam, and unfortunately she fell for it, so with the help of my (idiot)lawyer brother, she rushed to the bank to wire transfer almost $9000.00 to a stranger. Afterwards, whilst reviewing the wiring paperwork, she realized she wired funds to someone with an african sounding name in New Jersey (her grandson, my son, lives in Portland). No one told me at the time because they didn't want to "worry" me. Sad but misguided.

I know this is off topic, but there are scams everywhere. Beware!!!
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:13 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Registry
He's back

Quote:
This ad is from my local Craigs list TODAY.
This is a nation wide scam. Phone number is a Google forwarding number requiring you to leave message with phone number.
Attached Thumbnails
2022-01-17 14_01_16-Greenshot.jpg  
Old 01-23-2022, 12:10 PM   #18

Wisconsin
Registry
His latest ad

Quote:
It’s that time of the year, or it will be starting soon. Fiberglass RV scams galore!
His latest text "This 13 ft Scamp camper has everything a family needs. Easily sleeps 3 adults and a couple kids. It has a king and queen sized beds." It must be BIGGER on the INSIDE.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:21 PM   #19

Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Quote:

Thanks for that link!
Old 01-23-2022, 01:25 PM   #20

Quote:
His latest text "This 13 ft Scamp camper has everything a family needs. Easily sleeps 3 adults and a couple kids. It has a king and queen sized beds." It must be BIGGER on the INSIDE.

Well, OBVIOUSLY, the original purchaser ordered his Scamp with the "Tardis Package" upgrade.