january/february. someplace warm? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
january/february. someplace warm?

ok we are in michigan,,, so along about january/february we are begining to sort of pine for a might bit of warm sunshine...more so the older we get.

so assuming a 7 day trip, and not wanting to pound ourselves to death by driving 18 hours straight threw somewhere,whats a good destination for a little warm air? would like to try florida, but figure that would be a good two days down, two days back.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Are you retired John?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #3

Michigan
no if i was retired,,, well,, we would just leave after christmas and come home in the spring.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #4

Florida
John,

There are not many really warm places in the eastern USA in Jan and February other than FL, parts of TX, all a fair distance from you..

Sorry John, it seems the only alternative is to buzz down on a Sat and Sunday and buzz back on the following Sat and Sunday.

I agree it takes the fun out of it. Your time will come.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We're going to South Carolina in November. I checked the average temps and it looks like they'll probably be in the 60s then. Didn't check Jan/Feb but we'll probably go to Texas after about 17 winters in Arizona. Friends go to Texas and he tells me that he never wears long pants all winter in the places they go.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #6

Michigan
i'm not sure why i am like this,,,only wanting to take a week. its silly i have close to 7 weeks of vacation time comming. not like i have to scrimp. just when you have been in business for yourself, and had to pay someone else to do your job to take any time off,,,well,,,i need to get over it.

think maybe we will schedule two or three weeks and do florida. not sure what i'm waiting on sometimes. it will be too late once i'm on the wrong side of dirt.

texas is awsome, lived there for a year do to the kindness of the military. if you can call fort hood kindness,lol.
but i did love corpus christi.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #7

Florida
Time is priceless, use your vacation. Someday we all wakeup and find what we could do yesterday is not possible today though we still may be alive.

Stay warm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We'll be at Jekyll Island GA all of December and the first 3 weeks of January. Last year in December it was a little too cool at times, so the end of January we are going down the east coast of Florida and up the west coast. We have all our sites reserved already. The last few days of Feb. we will be at Hunting Island SC, then heading home.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We went to FL last year for a week and two weekends. We even spent time on both shores, near Ft. Myers and St. Augustine. (At the time, the latter was colder than Chicago was.). It was nice.

We hope that we can do something similar this year, but I am having surgery on Dec. 11 for tennis elbow (So embarrassing! I don't even play tennis. Too much technology, slinging it and typing.) and will be in a sling. Considering our expenses for a trip to Disney World, as I could then just walk around and have a good time despite being temporarily left-handed. It would still be a trip that involves the same amount of time.

We did not feel rushed to be honest.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Leaving for South Pardre Island, TX. dec. 26th. Will be back in April.
There's are great county park on the island with camping spots close to the beach.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Leaving for South Pardre Island, TX. dec. 26th. Will be back in April.
There's are great county park on the island with camping spots close to the beach.

Even better is the Padre Island National Shore, managed by the National Park system. If you want you can pull you trailer onto the beach. The main campground on the gulf side during January/February has several returnies that are fishermen also. About every two or three weeks there's a great fish fry. We were there two years ago, great fun. (no hook ups, dump station and fresh water) Geezer card works too.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm in a similar boat. Lots of vacation, but "pay" for it preparing to leave by working my A$$ off and then return to a desk that looks like no one did a dang thing while I was gone.

Why not just head south for half the time and search for warmth and sun... with no destination in mind, then turn around and go back north to get home when time runs out.

It really isn't about the destinaton, its the journey. And yes, I know you're looking for sun and warmth, but even the weather(man) can't predict weather more than a day in advance... accurately!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I would suggest the FL keys, but you almost certainly need reservations there.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The state parks in the Florida Keys are almost impossible to get a reservation. They had taken Long Key SP out of the reservation system because of construction projects there. When it went back into the system it was all booked up in 15 minutes. We managed to get a site!!. Retired or active military personnel can get cheap campsites on base in the keys, I was recently told they are nice sites and never full. The private campgrounds in the keys are very expensive. We have our whole 3 month trip reserved except for 2 nights after we leave Florida and heading to Hunting Island SC.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote