Jeep Gladiator pickup - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-27-2019, 06:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Jeep Gladiator pickup

Just saw this video showing the innovative way that the new Jeep Gladiators will be built.
Looks like it will have a 7,650 lb tow rating. Might be good for those trying to decide between a Jeep Wrangler or a pickup truck in the future, although I suspect it will be pretty pricey to begin with.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Cool and with a touch of "Christine"!
Its not for me, but that thing is gonna be hotter than a three dollar pistol!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:23 PM   #3

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
What a great way to recycle!

I find it hard to get behind the hype of the Tacoma, which this is aiming to compete with. Somehow I doubt the price tag will change my mind. But lots of other people like the Tacoma. If you combine the number of Colorados and Canyons sold last year...Tacoma still outsold them. That's a big chunk of the mid-size market for the Gladiator to go after.

I can see this being more practical than a Wrangler, but that only matters if you were already thinking about getting a Wrangler. If I was picking between a vehicle built by Toyota vs Fiat-Chrysler, the Toyota would win hands down.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
What a great way to recycle!

I find it hard to get behind the hype of the Tacoma, which this is aiming to compete with. Somehow I doubt the price tag will change my mind. But lots of other people like the Tacoma. If you combine the number of Colorados and Canyons sold last year...Tacoma still outsold them. That's a big chunk of the mid-size market for the Gladiator to go after.

I can see this being more practical than a Wrangler, but that only matters if you were already thinking about getting a Wrangler. If I was picking between a vehicle built by Toyota vs Fiat-Chrysler, the Toyota would win hands down.
If those were my choices I would have kept my 2001 Ranger
I drive on pavement, so all the off road hype fell on deaf ears for me.

Tacoma in the US will suffer, now that it has so much competition.

Besides...
The new Jeep has all those cool folding and removable parts...
Its HYPNOTIZING!!
Old 03-27-2019, 08:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
I’ve had Tacoma’s as tow vehicles for the last fifteen years and a Wrangler for off-road fun the last twenty. The third generation Tacoma is a non-starter for me due to the lack of torque in the 3.6. Colorado/Canyon and Ranger will require a lift on the Scamp and I just don’t like the inconvenience of their high bedsides. It will be interesting to see how the Gladiator shakes out.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #6

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If those were my choices I would have kept my 2001 Ranger
I drive on pavement, so all the off road hype fell on deaf ears for me.

Tacoma in the US will suffer, now that it has so much competition.

Besides...
The new Jeep has all those cool folding and removable parts...
Its HYPNOTIZING!!
Curious what you are considering "so much competition?" The Gladiator will be its only direct competitor unless I'm missing something. I hope you are not thinking the new Ranger, with it's abysmal off road performance, will somehow tip the scales. If Toyota suffers it will be because they've finally saturated their market and they've been complacent with updates--but 14 years on top suggest to me they know what they're doing.

As far as the Jeep, it's just more stuff I'll never use, but I am something of a Luddite when it comes to cars. Like you, I'm mostly a pavement driver and I don't like paying for features I'll rarely use or that wear out and require replacement.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Looks like the base price has been released. $35,040 with standard 4WD, V6, and stick shift.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
Curious what you are considering "so much competition?" The Gladiator will be its only direct competitor unless I'm missing something. I hope you are not thinking the new Ranger, with it's abysmal off road performance, will somehow tip the scales. If Toyota suffers it will be because they've finally saturated their market and they've been complacent with updates--but 14 years on top suggest to me they know what they're doing.

As far as the Jeep, it's just more stuff I'll never use, but I am something of a Luddite when it comes to cars. Like you, I'm mostly a pavement driver and I don't like paying for features I'll rarely use or that wear out and require replacement.
I guess you're right....
You're missing something!
Old 03-31-2019, 11:38 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
The Rubicon trim would be nice in the Gladiator. Too bad they don't make it in an extended cab, I only see the four door with a huge back seat. It has a lot of rear overhang which will make it sensitive to tongue weight.

On the lower trim levels of the Wranglers, and I'm assuming the Gladiators, the stock gearing is way too high. 3.23 IIRC. But the Rubicons come with 4.10 gears and that setup matches the 3.6 perfectly. Highly recommend going with the 4.10 gears! Especially if you plan to tow with it. The mileage is surprisingly good for the type of vehicle and the six speed stick has excellent ratios.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:13 PM   #10

Registry
Jeep Gladiator with an Airstream

Looks good in the picture, my 16' Scamp would look nice behind the Gladiator. Of course, in my humble opinion, my 16' Scamp would look good behind any tow vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
JeepGladiator.JPG  
Old 03-31-2019, 01:18 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post

On the lower trim levels of the Wranglers, and I'm assuming the Gladiators, the stock gearing is way too high. 3.23 IIRC. But the Rubicons come with 4.10 gears and that setup matches the 3.6 perfectly. Highly recommend going with the 4.10 gears! Especially if you plan to tow with it. The mileage is surprisingly good for the type of vehicle and the six speed stick has excellent ratios.
3.73 will be standard, and they have two towing packages. The Max tow package includes the 4.10 gears, which are optional on the regular tow package.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Just saw this video showing the innovative way that the new Jeep Gladiators will be built.
Looks like it will have a 7,650 lb tow rating. Might be good for those trying to decide between a Jeep Wrangler or a pickup truck in the future, although I suspect it will be pretty pricey to begin with.
I love the look, but the quality has always been bad. For some reason they are at the bottom. The car list. We almost bought a Jeep, but after having one and it was always needing repairs, we couldn't risk our money. It's a shame because they look so nice.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:32 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Cool and with a touch of "Christine"!
Its not for me, but that thing is gonna be hotter than a three dollar pistol!
It's nice, and the ad is great, but I'm still holding out for the re-release of the forward control...

...I feel conflicted enough owning the GC with it's Daimler platform and infamously marginal reliability.

..however, when they offer the forward-control again, I will open my checkbook, sign up for my lobotomy and get the Jeep logo tattooed across my forehead, all just for the "cool" factor...
Attached Thumbnails
jeep-mighty-fc-concept-photo-461824-s-986x603.jpg   jeep-mighty-fc-concept-photo-461826-s-986x603.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:47 PM   #14

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Here is an interesting article on the tow rating and how hard it was to obtain and why the Diesel is likely to be lower.

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering...ing-1833657453
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:22 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
It's nice, and the ad is great, but I'm still holding out for the re-release of the forward control...

...I feel conflicted enough owning the GC with it's Daimler platform and infamously marginal reliability.

However when they offer the forward-control again, I will open my checkbook, sign up for my lobotomy and get the Jeep logo tattooed across my forehead, all just for the "cool" factor...
That would definitely be cool!
My only Jeep was a 94 Jeep Cherokee 4 cyl stick shift 4WD I special ordered coming back from England and had waiting for me at the port in the USA. Loved that Jeep, still kicking myself for getting rid of it.
I've wanted a Wrangler for about 30 years now, but the left side of my brain keeps me from getting one.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:41 PM   #16

Florida
The original FC was a little nose heavy and would turn turtle in a panic stop.
Jeep added a huge cast iron weight behind the rear axle to keep it on the wheels
Old 03-31-2019, 04:58 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
The original FC was a little nose heavy and would turn turtle in a panic stop.
Jeep added a huge cast iron weight behind the rear axle to keep it on the wheels
My '65 split-window VW breadbox had a small aluminum weight like that. The weight had 4-cylinders.

Somehow, the passage of a design, such as that of the Jeep COE, generally denotes it as an evolutionary failure.

I also have a weakness for Pinzgauers, which can easily turn the cab into an ear-splitting pizza-oven when driving in warmer climes.

So, from what you guys are saying, it sounds like I'll just need to take out the left side of the mush-box along with the frontal lobe. Then all will be well...
Attached Thumbnails
jeep-mighty-fc.jpg   Jeep Mighty FC Concept mp012_027jp.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:31 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Here is an interesting article on the tow rating and how hard it was to obtain and why the Diesel is likely to be lower.

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering...ing-1833657453
WOW! What a neat article.
Two ideas...
How about a Snorkel up by the A pillar to induct air for the intercooler?
How about a GIANT heater core inside, venting the excess heat to the outside!

For me...
7500# tow rating for half the price will do just fine!

Its also funny that the reviewers often knock Nissan and Toyota and some even Ford for having dated styling, while applauding Jeep for going to such extreme measures to keep that 80 YO look!
Old 03-31-2019, 06:25 PM   #19

Florida
Here is a Jeep, 226 cubic inches of rompin' stompin' fury 103 hp .

First all metal station wagon, hold a 4' X 8" sheet of plywood flat on the floor or standing on edge.

Learned to drive in one

A real Jeep Truck

A real Jeep Gladiator

Italian Jeep Gladiator

Old 03-31-2019, 06:39 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Here is a Jeep, 226 cubic inches of rompin' stompin' fury 103 hp .

[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/roa.h-cdn.co/assets/16/26/768x519/gallery-1467148333-willys-jeep-fc-150.jpg?resize=3492:*[/IMG]

First all metal station wagon, hold a 4' X 8" sheet of plywood flat on the floor or standing on edge.

Learned to drive in one

A real Jeep Truck

[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/roa.h-cdn.co/assets/16/26/768x519/gallery-1467148333-willys-jeep-fc-150.jpg?resize=768:*[/IMG]
LOVE IT!!