Joe's EggCamper Journal - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2017, 01:36 AM   #181

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have seen the flex that happens just driving over a mall speed bump at an angle.
My first RV was a F 250 w/a 9' cabover camper. Going down some hairy backcountry fire roads the camper, over hanging the truck cab, would almost touch the roof on one side and disappear from view on the other side. That's some frame flex and nothing broke.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:57 AM   #182

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
But, you didn't have the front portion of the camper attached to the roof of your cab, did you? I think your experience illustrates the forces at work.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:27 AM   #183

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Joe,
Who's Escape 21 is that?
Old 12-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #184

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Joe,
Who's Escape 21 is that?
Hi Jim. That belongs to our friends Rick and Kim. It’s a 2016 I believe. They are both retired Air Force and done working which makes Cherie and I very jealous! But happy for them too!

They bought the Escape new. I believe they have a user name on here (rschlosser) but they don’t do forums much. I know they will show the Escape 21 to interested folks and do belong to the Escape referral program. One other couple in our town viewed it then bought one so now we have 2 Escape 21s in our small town. You will often see us camping with them and with another couple who bought our Casita a few years back.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:16 AM   #185

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I was advised many years ago that I should not place my racks on the cab of the truck and on my canopy because the bed of the truck and the cab twist in different directions, going over uneven surfaces, which would twist my canoe.
You could mount another rack to the front bumper so that both racks are attached to the cab.
Hi Glenn. I like that advise. Unfortunately I may not be able to because my hard cover won’t allow it so my rear rack will have to be mounted off the hitch. I understand what your saying and never gave flex that much thought. I’m wondering since we just have cheap plastic kayaks if all will be ok. I may have to test the theory because my roof is so short and I’d hate to give up my locking hard topper.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-31-2018, 04:34 PM   #186

Ohio
Propane bottle holders (cont.)

Got the egg out of storage last weekend. Had time today to do a small project that was needed! It was fun to get her out - spring is here!

Last year I had 1" x 1" x 0.25" angle welded to the tongue to support 2 propane bottles. But the bottom of the bottles wanted to walk outwards during travel, even with the center rod and wing nut very tight. So after discussion here with others (thank you!) we decided it needed extra bracing to keep the tank bases from sliding.

I can't weld I and didn't want another trip to the weld shop (LONG WAIT) so I just bolted on some more 1" x 1" x 0.25" to make the bottles secure side to side. Some stated drilling holes weakens the frame, but the holes are not in the frame at all. They are only in the added propane bottle braces, so no frame mods. Then the side braces were still 0.25" lower, so I added a 0.25" shim of aluminum stock, bolted down with flush mounted screws. Now the propane bottles sit flat on four points, and are trapped in all directions.

I would hope it should be good to go now!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1472.jpg   IMG_1473.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #187

Ohio
Kayak Rack (cont.)

Well after winter researching racks, we finally have a setup I hope works out well. Its a Yakima front rack and rear rack. The rear rack mounts to the bed rails and sticks out under the hard cover when its closed. Then it has vertical poles that hold the rear rod. I'm hoping frame twist is not an issue. The Silverado does boast their frame does not twist much. And we are just carrying cheapie plastic kayaks. Also it allows the topper to open so that's huge in my book. Access to stuff at all times.

I also learned from the kayak peeps to use cam buckle straps and not ratchet straps. The ratchet straps clamp TOO tight and can damage the plastic kayaks on a hot day. I bought bow and stern tie downs for safety. I haven't got the kayaks up there yet but will add pics soon. For now here is the rack on the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1296.jpg   IMG_1297.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-31-2018, 10:06 PM   #188

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Joe, I'm a little late for your rack/flex concerns of hurting the kayaks on the truck. Yes trucks will flex a bit but just how much flexing do the kayaks do while using them in the water? Maybe using pool noodles on your rack would give the kayaks a bit more cushion to absorb a little of the flex. BTW, I use ratchet traps on every thing I tie down and have never had a problem with any damage from sunlight and my desert summers can easily be 125*. Like always, YMMV .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #189

Ohio
Fridge door lock

When we bought the EggCamper it had already had an upgraded fridge. It has the 2.7cf Norcold NR751BB. It’s been a great fridge but sometimes the door can open a bit while traveling. The latch will keep the door from swinging open completely but it will open a half inch before the latch stops it. Then temps drop as cold air escapes.

I wanted a way to keep this from happening so it needs a lock. If you open the door you will see a small plug on the top of the door opposite the hinge. This will pop right out with a small screwdriver. It is for switching the hinge. Well that hole was very deep. I took a 5/16-18 tap and I tapped out the hole to add threads. Then I drilled a same size thru hole thru the upper fridge lip.

Now when you close the door you can optionally screw in the a same sized thumb screw. This holds the door shut tight as can be! The thumb screw is only needed during travel, and not needed once at camp.
Attached Thumbnails
5E985BD8-5A9D-4526-B6E9-8CE4D853D53B.jpg   784F0142-E91B-460A-8D7E-8A1BFEDA916B.jpg  

B6B890DC-4FEB-4BA6-B9A9-DF0F6CEC6D6A.jpg   AC4FB133-B25C-4B21-84D3-194AD8145AC5.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 04-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #190

Ohio
I'm only posting this pic here for reference. I dug up this panoramic view pic to give peeps a feel for interior.

p.s. - I get to bleach / un-winterize the water lines this weekend! FINALLY
Attached Thumbnails
insideegg.jpg  
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 05-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #191

Ohio
Mattress replacement

After 2 years of sleeping on 3 different pieces of foam (horrible setup) we decided to take the plunge for a good mattress. Some research here and good tips from members (Thank You) took us to Mattress Insider. Ended up talking to a rep who steered us to a coil spring mattress. I think its called their Parkview model. It comes shipped in a box rolled up, but does expand quickly being coils springs.

The dimensions for any other EggCamper owners were 87" x 53" x 8". We also had the two back corners radius-ed to 14". We actually ordered 53" wide but it measured 54" (length measured correctly). 53" would have been better as it is a tad snug at the sink area.

Now we have to sew 2 full size fitted sheets together to fit ha
Attached Thumbnails
m3.jpg   m2.jpg  

m1.jpg  
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 05-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #192

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Cherie View Post
Maybe try one of the larger sheets fitted for a deep mattress? We happen to shopping for sheets for the 21 which apparently is sized for Full XL, 54"x80".

XXL at Amazon, Macy's and Bed, Bath and Beyond in King and other sizes seem to be 84" long, and some are designed for ridiculously thick mattresses. (One reviewer noted a poor fit, stating that her mattress was "only" 15-inches deep!?)

Anyway, reworking the edges on a large fitted one or adding elastic to a huge flat sheet might be a lot better than having a seam across the middle.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #193

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Maybe try one of the larger sheets fitted for a deep mattress? We happen to shopping for sheets for the 21 which apparently is sized for Full XL, 54"x80".

XXL at Amazon, Macy's and Bed, Bath and Beyond in King and other sizes seem to be 84" long, and some are designed for ridiculously thick mattresses. (One reviewer noted a poor fit, stating that her mattress was "only" 15-inches deep!?)

Anyway, reworking the edges on a large fitted one or adding elastic to a huge flat sheet might be a lot better than having a seam across the middle.
Darn it Mike! Why didn’t you tell me this earlier lol. I had no idea they sold XXL sheets! Had I known I’d have made the mattress 84 long. Oh well, yes I thing since they are for thick mattresses they will fit just fine on our 8” mattress! Thankfully you caught us before we cut new sheets and mattress pad! New XXL Full size have been ordered from the mother ship! Thank you again!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 05-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #194

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Darn it Mike! Why didn’t you tell me this earlier lol. I had no idea they sold XXL sheets!
Next up; the difference between bone, taupe, ecru and ivory...

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #195

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
After 2 years of sleeping on 3 different pieces of foam (horrible setup) we decided to take the plunge for a good mattress. Some research here and good tips from members (Thank You) took us to Mattress Insider. Ended up talking to a rep who steered us to a coil spring mattress. I think its called their Parkview model. It comes shipped in a box rolled up, but does expand quickly being coils springs.

The dimensions for any other EggCamper owners were 87" x 53" x 8". We also had the two back corners radius-ed to 14". We actually ordered 53" wide but it measured 54" (length measured correctly). 53" would have been better as it is a tad snug at the sink area.

We bought a "ParkLane RV" mattress for our EggCamper a couple years back when they were still marketed through Camping World. I believe at that time it was called a "Queen Narrow" or something like that (just under $100 on clearance). Anyway, it is 3" memory foam on top of 6" interlocked coil springs and one of the most comfortable mattresses we've ever had, home or camper. I thought ParkLane had stopped making them, so maybe the company you're talking about (Parkview?) is indeed a different company but with a similar product.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper