Joe's EggCamper Journal - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: In the market for an EggCamper
Michigan
Hi Joe,

I'm 6'7" and am looking for an Egg Camper. I'm from Michigan and am disappointed that they are no longer being made. I know they're hard to find but I thought I'd ask if you know of any on the market. Do you have any Egg Camper contacts who might know of any that may be available?

Thanks Joe,

Dave Norton
DaveNorton8908@gmail.com
BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:16 PM   #42

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
Hi Joe,

I'm 6'7" and am looking for an Egg Camper. I'm from Michigan and am disappointed that they are no longer being made. I know they're hard to find but I thought I'd ask if you know of any on the market. Do you have any Egg Camper contacts who might know of any that may be available?
Hi Dave, Unfortunately I don't currently know of any for sale. I did find that being patient would pay as a few popped up for sale over the summer this summer. Most sold vary fast. But the good news for you - most were for sale in Michigan! I'd keep looking on this forum, the fiberglassrv4sale forum, and craigslist in Michigan. I'm sure one will pop up hopefully in the spring!

Good luck in your search, and if I find one, I'll yell.!

Thanks! Joe
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:59 AM   #43

Trailer: In the market for an EggCamper
Michigan
Thanks Joe,

I really appreciate your help. I sure hope I'm able to find an Egg Camper. It would be perfect for my wife, our dog and me as we plan to visit National Parks in our retirement. By the way, I'm a retired Veterinarian and would be glad to offer any advice if you ever have pet questions.

Dave
BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:37 PM   #44
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Joe, thank you so much for taking the time to post all about your Egg upgrade adventures! As a never RV owner, I have been researching daily for about a year, for what I want and need in an RV, to type, to tv, to videos of RV disasters. After making an excel chart of all the molded fiberglass rv's available, with what is important to me, the eggcamper is one that is close to fitting all my needs/wants. I even called Joe at eggcamper and talked to him today looking for one or even the teardropp.

So to my question, coming from one who has only once towed (a uhaul behind my car and yes I almost lost it in a sway), do you think lifting it adds to the rv being more prone to blowing over? I would want to do the lift kit on the one I get as well. I will be full timing and towing and the blowing over concerns me after watching videos of rv's blowing over.
JLynn
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 AM   #45

Ohio
Hello Tua, Best wishes on your search for the perfect FGRV for you!

I will give you my "opinion" on the lift. As far as blowing over, I would say the lift will have zero effect on this. The lift is only 3" and the center of gravity of the egg is still very low. I noticed no difference in sway (uncontrolled sway could lead to a flip) after the lift.

That being said, I think what is more important is weight distribution. Make sure the egg is properly loaded with the weight front to rear. Too much weight behind the axle, and a light tongue, will cause sway. Also, make sure the trailer is level once hooked to the tv. In other words, you may have to raise the ball on the tv to compensate for the lift of the egg.

But with a properly loaded level egg, you should be totally fine even with the 3" lift and not have sway or worries of flipping. As for blowing over from wind gusts, I'd say you are nowhere near any worry of that unless your in a hurricane...ha! The large flat sided rv's and semis are MUCH more at risk than your lifted egg.

I have yet to install the larger tires, but I believe these will also help stability (wider = more rubber on the road). But again, right now there is no instability, so its just a bonus, plus I like the look....ha. I will most likely also add a sway bar which I do not have now. Again, just a bonus because I don't have sway now, but if I ever get in a panic maneuver, I believe the sway bar would help with the outcome. And again, there is no downside to adding it. Just a little cost.

Lastly, my tv is overkill for the egg. I drive a Silverado. Its not so much that I need it for the egg, cause its overkill in tow capacity, but I'm 6'6" and have always drove full size trucks just for my comfort. But I do believe overkill on the tv capacity is a good thing. Many will disagree, its just my opinion.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 01-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #46

Ohio
Starting to get the itch to work on the Egg again

I have not done anything new to the Egg yet because I'm just plain not comfortable anymore out in the cold. On top of that its stored in a friends garage about 15 miles away, so it makes it hard to work on there, with all my tool etc here. So I've just been planning and now starting to collect parts for when I get it back (maybe Mid March).

Anyway, I think I'm going to order the wheels and tires sooner rather than later. I just want them on there this year - but I'll wait till March to order. I did just order a dual 6v battery box and it arrived today!! Its a NOCO 426. So I will be buying two Trojan T-105's in March also. I'm still pondering ordering 2 boxes and 4 batteries - that's a lot of $ and weight, but I really feel it would make those 3-4 day boon-docking very doable - even with the fridge running.

The other option the wife and discussed is we normally have electric where we camp, so just going with the single box and 2 batteries. Then in the rare occasions where we do an extended boondock trip, well, we pack a cooler like we used to! This is probably the way we will go (1 box and 2 batteries).

Either way, its going to the welding shop and when they weld the L channels on the tongue, Ill have 2 welded by the jack for a single box, and two more longer channels welded back by the body for if I ever go to dual boxes (ready for expansion without another trip to the weld shop). Hope that all makes sense!
Attached Thumbnails
EggBatteryBox.JPG  
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #47

Ohio
Welding Shop

Speaking of the welding shop - I went to a very reputable one and quoted a new rear bumper. I cant get used to the added on receiver, so its going to be done right. It will be just like an Escape bumper. He quoted $300 for everything front and rear - I wish I would have done that in the first place! If anybody needs a BRAND NEW bolt on adjustable receiver hitch (posts #39) I'll sell it for half price! Attached is a diagram I drew up, and a pic off the web of an Escape bumper. Not worried about the weight back there cause it will be offset by the batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
EggBumper.JPG  
Attached Images

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #48

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Joe, I'd add a flexible solar panel to the roof, maybe 150 watts and it will keep those 2 batteries charged by noon everyday. I put my batteries in a tongue box on the front of my Eggcamper and put the solar on top of the box.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #49

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Joe, I'd add a flexible solar panel to the roof, maybe 150 watts and it will keep those 2 batteries charged by noon everyday. I put my batteries in a tongue box on the front of my Eggcamper and put the solar on top of the box.
Hi Jim,

That's a great idea and I have been pondering this. I started a different thread on Solar so I could learn about it. I may end up going that route! One thing I need to be careful of is sinking so much $$$ into this rig, but I guess that's the fun of it. We know someday we will buy a 5.0TA and I sure hope we don't find that new camper just after adding 4k of mods to this one......haha!

The thing that keeps me pondering is even with the solar $, batteries $ etc - we still have no A/C, and no hot water. I can do without the A/C when boondocking - but would love hot water. That points me to a Honda 2000. So now I have a real delima - I sure don't want 4 batteries, solar, and a Honda. I mean I guess I do want all that - but the cost....uuggg! So I had to put that decision off for a later date - maybe after another season of use.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 01-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #50

Ohio
Roof vent

Last thing that came in the mail today!!! A new MaxxFan 6200K

So that install is a definite, and will be added to this journal. I like the 10 speed, the in/out, thermostat, and the built in rain shield. Also like the smoked lid where you can see thru. Somebody on a different thread talked about the smoked lid, and I like their idea - so copied it! I opened it today and it looks nice. You can see thru it nicely! If the open/closed knob sticks down, I plan to build up the roof outside with Fiberglass square tubing to raise the whole vent (also stole that idea from another thread ), then the knob will be tucked up into the vent square opening, and headroom will not be reduced. Pics of the install in a few months.
Attached Thumbnails
fan.JPG  
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 01-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #51

Pennsylvania
Registry
I have had smoked lens on all my fans, both Fantastic and MaxxFan, love the look. They do have portable propane showers, otherwise why not use the cg's facilities.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #52

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Joe, don't know if you have an electric water heater or not but thought I'd throw this out. Heaters can come elc/LP. If you have shore power, great. Plumb the heater with a quick LP disconnect and use a small bottle when boondocking.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #53

Pennsylvania
Registry
EggCampers are all electric, no propane.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #54

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Didn't some early builds offer propane as an upgrade?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:30 AM   #55

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Yup, I understand that Jim. The idea I tossed out was to be able have both sources available but not having full blown LP tubing run in the trailer. Kind of like the connection you may have for a BBQ from the main tank. 10 minutes or so run time, full tank of hot water, disconnect and no idle LP in lines for those that don't trust or have it installed. Just food for thought .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:45 AM   #56

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quite simple really. If the trailer is all-electric, get an electric kettle and plug it in. Wouldn't be my choice, but they are readily available and cheap.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #57

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
eggcamper propane

Eggcampers had option of propane, as my 2007 has it, but I rarely use the cooktop. I bought the camper at factory.
weldon freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #58

Pennsylvania
Registry
The early year EggCampers did have a propane option but he discontinued it in later years. My 2011 did not and I added a propane heater. As fas as heating water, the op is trying to camp off grid, thus no electric. Propane is the only source for non electric sites other than solar.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #59

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Yup, I understand that Jim. The idea I tossed out was to be able have both sources available but not having full blown LP tubing run in the trailer. Kind of like the connection you may have for a BBQ from the main tank. 10 minutes or so run time, full tank of hot water, disconnect and no idle LP in lines for those that don't trust or have it installed. Just food for thought .
Sorry, I did not read your last sentence about adding an auxiliary port for propane, but the EggCamper has a small electric water heater used in residential applications for point of use. an electric/propane heater like those in rv's would mean an expensive modification. Even a tankless water heater would be prohibitive. Best bet would be to run propane for a Wave type heater and propane stove. Then water could be heated for showers and heat would also be there.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #60

Ohio
Yep - you guys hit the nail on the head!

This is weird but I really bought the EggCamper for the interior height - along with bed length! I actually prefer having propane. But this is the ONLY FGRV I can stand/sleep in in existence besides a 5.0TA. I love the EggCamper and its wide open space too! My wife and I were so set on NOT having the carpet strip in the ceiling, so it led up to a newer EggCamper only, which does not have propane. We got lucky when we found this one.

But I really don't mind propane in the rv, as I liked it in my old Casita. But to do that water heater mod - yes is major including cutting a hole in the side of the camper - which I dont want to do. I like that its so sealed! I guess if it were our "forever" camper, I would probably go that route, and add propane furnace, and maybe even a 2 way fridge. But that's too pricey knowing 1) we will move to a 5.0ta someday, and 2) it has everything we want when we have shore power - which is 80+% of the time!

Speaking of holes, I really wish they would have vented the black tank out the side wall higher up - just like they vented the sink with that little square louver - but higher! That would have been cool because there would have been NO holes in the roof besides the vent.

So anyway, I like the solar shower idea! When we boondock - it can be where there are no showers. That's why we like to have a hot shower. But, the hot water wont be there w/o a generator. The generator has advantages and solves all issues (except noise)

Anyway, yea - that's a decision for the future. Now I just want to do mods I know we want, and know the direction is solid (lift, bike rack, 15", vent, modified storage, etc.)

Speaking of storage....I was surfing one night stealing peoples ideas.....ha....I came across this guy that added another fresh water tank! I thought "awesome"! We didn't like the Egg's 16 gallon when our Casita had 25. So you know that storage area under the bed on the curb side that's useless cause you cant get to it? (I realize I could add outside access door but prefer not to cut the fiberglass wall). Well, why not add another water tank (or 2)!!! Tie them together with pex at floor level. When you add water to the main tank - they will all fill up at the same time! And they all drain at the same time as you use it! They will need to vent up top somehow, so this may requier a separate fill/vent cap on that side (uuggg - a hole.....ha). Just more wintertime food for thought.....
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal

Tags
eggcamper