Joe's EggCamper Journal - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #81

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Next item up was to add a "Charge Wizard" to the PD9130 converter. This turns the converter from a dumb charger into a 3 stage smart charger without replacing the entire converter. This is a must for any EggCamper owner - so simple to do and the benefits to your battery are huge. Faster charges, and no more overcharging! Once its installed - forget about it - it does all the modes automatically (bulk/normal/maintenance).

Pretty simple - just remove the screw in the back of the converter, plug in the charge wizard, then reinstall screw. The screw goes thru a tab on the cord and holds it in to the converter so it cant come out.

I put a mirror in the bottom of the closet to get a good picture of the area the wizard plugs into. My wife can never find her mirror - not sure how it always ends up in the tool box....

The Charge Wizard pendant head is just laying on the closet floor for now, but you basically just run the wire wherever you prefer and stick the pendant to the wall with the double sided tape. I'm going to just leave it stuck to the wall inside the closet.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0514.JPG   IMG_0515.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #82

Ohio
This next mod is temporary. I wanted to get the spare out of the closet to free up storage room and start building shelves soon. Since the welding shop which is going to weld the back bumper is so booked up, I decided to move the tire to the tongue for now. Eventually it will go to the rear of the camper on the welded bumper (just like an Escape). I'm even going to reuse the spare tire brace you see here, but they will weld it to an upright post.

Not worried about weight on the back with spare tire and bikes because it will be offset with dual 6v batteries on the front tongue. The spare is ok on the tongue for now, but I really don't like the reduced ground clearance or appearance so that's why I want to eventuality get it to the back.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0528.JPG   IMG_0532.JPG  

IMG_0531.jpg   IMG_0533.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #83

Ohio
These are small items here - but like mentioned this thread is for documentation too!

This took all of 5 minutes. Changed out the interior incandescent 921 bulbs for LED's. Went with Green Value (shot in the dark on quality) brand LED's. Had 250 lumens and the color is called "Natural White". It was their in between color between the warm white and the cool white. It definitely got rid of the yellow look - its pretty white, but not super white. 6 pack was $36 and I needed 5 so one spare!

Next really isn't a mod - ordered a wheel for the front jack. This is for turning the egg around in the driveway. When I back the egg in, the door faces the trees. I need it the other way for access. With the wheel I can turn it 180* in the driveway by hand.
Attached Thumbnails
led.JPG   wheel.JPG  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #84

Ohio
Next on the list was a dual 6V battery box. Went with a NOCO 426. It seems quite sturdy.

The mounting of it is temporary as the welding shop will weld on a four sided L-channel support for it to sit snug in. But I went ahead and installed this for now so I can go ahead with (2) 6V's without waiting on the weld shop if desired.

I went with the way the EggCamper was setup. Front sits on flat stock and uses jack frame as a stop if needed. Rear is 2" x 2" x .25" aluminum L channel. This was already on the tongue from previous owner for a bike rack, so I shortened it and used it. Sides are open but I bolted down box with a stainless steel fastener on each corner - so it shouldn't go anywhere. Also got lucky because the small L channel currently welded on the tongue for the smaller box fits perfectly in the center of the box and is the right height to support the box across the center.

I can wrap a small chain and padlock around the whole thing for deterrence. While the single 12v is still in there, I just threw in a bunch of scrap 2x4's to fill the space and keep it from shifting.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0534.jpg   IMG_0535.jpg  

IMG_0536.JPG   IMG_0537.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-20-2017, 06:17 AM   #85

Ohio
Got some more time over the weekend to continue. Next up was to do some wiring. I took the main closet door off temporarily for better working access. All the wiring is in the false floor of the closet.

First thing was adding a refrigerator switch. The refrigerator switch is a must because this fridge is 12v DC only - its a compressor type fridge like the semi truck drivers use. I love the fridge vs propane, simple and cold, uses little energy. But when you plug in the camper its always on! There is no way to turn it off besides pulling the fuse. So a switch is necessary to be able to plug in camper at home or wherever without the fridge running all the time.

The fridge wires were coming into the closet at the top of the door, then running down to the fuse panel. This was perfect because that's where I wanted the additional switch. I pulled that wire out and cut it shorter and hooked it to the switch - then ran another wire from the switch to the fuse box. That was pretty simple.

I know the switch doesn't look all that, but I wanted a quality switch. NAPA had 30A heavy duty switches they keep behind the counter. $12 vs the $5 junk on the display. It's worth the extra few bucks to do this right and buy a good switch with good contacts!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0548.jpg   IMG_0549.jpg  

IMG_0551.jpg  
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-20-2017, 06:31 AM   #86

Ohio
Last was to install a main battery cut off, and mount the Charge Wizard pendant. The main battery cable was coming in thru the floor and going to a lug on the fuse panel. I disconnected that and ran it up the wall on the other side of the closet door. Installed the switch there, then ran a new wire back down to the same lug on the fuse box. While I was at it I mounted the Charge Wizard pendant. The tided up all the wiring with new wire ties and good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0555.jpg   IMG_0554.jpg  

IMG_0553.jpg  
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #87

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
... First thing was adding a refrigerator switch. The refrigerator switch is a must because this fridge is 12v DC only - its a compressor type fridge like the semi truck drivers use. I love the fridge vs propane, simple and cold, uses little energy. But when you plug in the camper its always on! There is no way to turn it off besides pulling the fuse. So a switch is necessary to be able to plug in camper at home or wherever without the fridge running all the time.
Not sure what your refrigerator is, but our 2010 EggCamper (#083) has a Norcold Model DC0751B (original equipment). As you can see, it has an "OFF" position, so we don't need a separate switch on ours. While the little fridge cools nicely, the compressor is very noisy, and we often prefer using an ice chest versus hearing the noisy compressor kick on and off throughout the night.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09273.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #88

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Not sure what your refrigerator is, but our 2010 EggCamper (#083) has a Norcold Model DC0751B (original equipment). As you can see, it has an "OFF" position, so we don't need a separate switch on ours. While the little fridge cools nicely, the compressor is very noisy, and we often prefer using an ice chest versus hearing the noisy compressor kick on and off throughout the night.
Boy that little knob would be nice!! The previous owner did state EggCamper replaced the fridge shortly after they bought it new. Not sure if it went bad or not. It does have similar knob as yours - but its inside the fridge, and all the way to the back!! So I opted to leave it set on the best number and do the switch thing. But that knob on the outside like you have seems like a nice feature!! The fridge is definitely not loud. I'll see if I can find the model number and post back.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #89

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Hi Joe,
...following all your great mods! I have a few questions: how did you remove the decals and what brand wax did you use to polish your Egg? Also, have you had a chance to try out the bike rack, and if so, how is it working out?
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #90

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
Hi Joe,
...following all your great mods! I have a few questions: how did you remove the decals and what brand wax did you use to polish your Egg? Also, have you had a chance to try out the bike rack, and if so, how is it working out?
Hi Letitia!

The decals come right off! It was a cooler day so I hit them with a hair dryer to soften them up. It only took a little bit of heat - no need to blast one spot. Once they softened up (1 -2 minutes) you can get them started with your fingernail and then they peel right off. I think on a hot sunny day no heat would be needed at all. I bet they were all removed in less than an hour. I did notice the warmer the decal, the less residue they left. GooGone took the tiny bits of residue off. I do think the camper looks bare. I think the side decals looked better than bare sides but we couldn't get past the font so off they went. Well, they are off now and no going back....ha!

The wax was a cleaner/wax called Meguiars Mirror Glaze #50. It worked well. I think the camper shined up well because the previous owner kept it covered since new. I hope to be able to but I don't have the shelter so a cover will have to do and I get too lazy to put it on/off. Hopefully it will retain the shine.

The bike rack is still the bolted on bulky contraption thing (post #40). We have not used it yet but it's WAY overkill and will work fine. Its on there very solid. But I still will take it off if the weld shop ever gets to me and can fab up the receiver and bumper (post #47). They are extremely good and priced nice (ma and pa shop), but their wait time is horrible!

I am looking forward to the welded one being done right and selling the bolt on receiver bar. I'm also having the dual 6V battery tray welded on the tongue and a dual propane rack welded between the battery box and the egg shell for future propane tank install.

One awesome thing about the EggCamper is they used a 4" frame! Super stout for a camper of that size and weight. Way overkill - but that's ok!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-21-2017, 07:01 PM   #91

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Hi Dale,

I looked tonight and I have a 1.7cu ft Norcold NR751BB. It seems pretty quiet, not sure of the differences between it and the original one tho. I do know the knob on the inside way back in the back is dumb.....ha!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0562.JPG   IMG_0561.JPG  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #92

Ohio
Next mod was to add a 1/4 turn shut off valve to the toilet supply line. After buying one I found no good way to add it due to lack if space between the toilet and the wall. I didnt want to add it to the line on the other side of the wall because that is in the closet and under a false floor so I didnt want more leak points I couldnt see.

So I thought just carrying a plug would do the trick! With help from members here (THANK YOU) I went and bought a $0.98 plug which is 1/2" NPT Male. All I need to do is throw it in a closet with the spare fuses, etc. If the toilet fails (which I understand can happen) the camping trip is not ruined. I just unscrew the supply line from the toilet, then screw on the plug. I tried this for a test. Its very tight to get back there but it should work just fine!! No shut off valve needed! You can still use the toilet and flush it with the shower head.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0565.JPG   IMG_0566.JPG  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #93

Ohio
Next is to ditch the 4 year old 12v and throw in dual Trojan T-105 6v batteries. This will now have 225 amp hours which will be a huge improvement on dry camping! I dropped em in the box and hooked em up. That's it! The camper wire is 8 gauge so that is all that is needed for the jumper wire. When I went to solder the lugs to the jumper wire, I saw the lugs had enough room for a lot more wire. I wet ahead and just doubled them up. That was absolutely not necessary at all, but it was a more is better moment.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0563.JPG  
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-24-2017, 01:45 AM   #94

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Guess I MISSED the info on using a 98 cent plug....dang. But on the other hand, I've got enough PEX tubing, rings, fittings and the crimping tool to redo a whole trailer. Don't you just hate it when the forest and tree thing happens .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:21 AM   #95

Trailer: In the market for an EggCamper
Michigan
Big Daddy is still looking!

Hi Joe,

I love what you've done modifying your Egg Camper! I wanted to check in to see if you have any leads on an Egg Camper for sale this Spring. I'm 6'7" and just know that my wife and I belong in an Egg Camper. I've checked out all the sites you suggested and have yet to find one. Any help would really be appreciated.

Big Daddy
BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:27 AM   #96

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Guess I MISSED the info on using a 98 cent plug....dang. But on the other hand, I've got enough PEX tubing, rings, fittings and the crimping tool to redo a whole trailer. Don't you just hate it when the forest and tree thing happens .
Tell me about it Dave!! I keep thinking "don't leave it like that, do it right, go buy some crimpers and a brass valve and clamps"!!! Then I have to remind myself that it is right! The ONLY purpose is to stop flow and the cap does this. But it doesn't equate as "job finished" in my head.....haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
Hi Joe,

I love what you've done modifying your Egg Camper! I wanted to check in to see if you have any leads on an Egg Camper for sale this Spring. I'm 6'7" and just know that my wife and I belong in an Egg Camper. I've checked out all the sites you suggested and have yet to find one. Any help would really be appreciated.

Big Daddy
Thanks Dave! I haven't seen any pop up yet but I promise if I do I will let you know asap! I only saw a couple last year all year so they don't pop up often, but one will I'm sure!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #97

Michigan
Big Daddy Thanks You Joe

Hey Joe,

I really appreciate your helping me. I'm ready to jump if you hear of anything for me.

Have a great day!

Big Daddy
Old 03-24-2017, 08:12 AM   #98

Michigan
Big Daddy's email address

Hi Joe,

I forgot to mention my email address in case you hear of anything since I don't check your thread everyday. I do check my email everyday at DaveNorton8908@gmail.com.

Thanks again Joe,

Big Daddy
Old 03-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #99

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
Hi Joe,

I forgot to mention my email address in case you hear of anything since I don't check your thread everyday. I do check my email everyday at DaveNorton8908@gmail.com.

Thanks again Joe,

Big Daddy
Hi Big Daddy,

I doubt if one comes up for sale that it will come up for sale on this thread. This thread is for mods I am doing to my EggCamper to document what I've done over the years and for anybody's interest in those mods. I think if one comes up for sale it will be in the for sale section on this site or the other sites mentioned. I don't scan the for sale sections much anymore since I purchased. But if I happen to see one I'll let you know!

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #100

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
... One awesome thing about the EggCamper is they used a 4" frame! Super stout for a camper of that size and weight. Way overkill - but that's ok!
I'm not sure, but from previous threads, I think many if not most EggCamper frames were built with 3" channel iron. Like you, we feel luck to have the extra beefy 4" frame on our 2010 #083. We have done the polar opposite with our EggCamper compared to you. Other than a couple things that you'd have to look close to notice, ours is still all original, pretty much just like it was when it rolled off the production line, even though we are the third owners. Although we've upgraded the mattress and seat cushions for our personal comfort, we still have the originals in dry storage. We enjoy it in "classic" configuration. But to each their own....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper