Joe's EggCamper Journal - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #121

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
I know I know!!! WAY to fast! But I just wanted to get her up there so I knew I wouldn't be right on the edge of sway during normal travel. I won't go over 70ish traveling but at least I know if I drift up there it's stable! I was only up there for a few seconds!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #122

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
I know I know!!! WAY to fast! But I just wanted to get her up there so I knew I wouldn't be right on the edge of sway during normal travel. I won't go over 70ish traveling but at least I know if I drift up there it's stable! I was only up there for a few seconds!!
Well, I've already swept the rubber off the street here.

Actually that's exactly what I do. There's such a strong relationship between speed and sway that I want to find out what the limits are under controlled conditions before I find out later in some unexpected and unpleasant way.

But, I don't go posting about it online and tell the whole world about it! Oops, I just did!

By the way, the trailer's looking good Joe, I'm enjoying your posts.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #123

Ohio
Thanks Mike! Appreciate it! I hope these posts are useful to others besides me! I hope others can find some good info from them. I know I've stolen a lot of others ideas!

I agree - it's all in the data! I couldn't go down the road at 70ish for years wondering if it got unstable at 72.....ha!

Actually I had dyslexia. I meant to type 48 - yea that's it - I was going 48mph! ha!

My wife is making some pillows over the next few days so hopefully this weekend I can post some interior pics. We kept it simple - but added just a little color.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 04-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #124

Ohio
Interior Pics

Here is some pics of what my wife did to the inside! In my opinion she did a great job! The original EggCamper carpet is grey. She found a grey comforter, then found a shower curtain she liked and bought two of them. The shower curtain is the clothy type so she added a liner on the bathroom. Then used the extra shower curtain to cut up and make valances and throw pillows! Then found a matching picture and stuck it to the wall with 3M sticky strips. Added a gray small entry rug at the door and another on the counter top for protection.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0615.jpg   IMG_0607.jpg  

IMG_0613.jpg   IMG_0609.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 04-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #125

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Looks great Joe, one suggestion I did with mine. The lock on the closet on the bath wall facing the dinette would hit my back when sitting at the dinette, I moved it up to the top, centered. It still functioned properly there and no more back stabs.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #126

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Looks great Joe, one suggestion I did with mine. The lock on the closet on the bath wall facing the dinette would hit my back when sitting at the dinette, I moved it up to the top, centered. It still functioned properly there and no more back stabs.
I like that idea Jim!! Another mod to do very shortly! Thanks very much!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 04-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #127

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
Hi Joe,

I love what you've done modifying your Egg Camper! I wanted to check in to see if you have any leads on an Egg Camper for sale this Spring. I'm 6'7" and just know that my wife and I belong in an Egg Camper. I've checked out all the sites you suggested and have yet to find one. Any help would really be appreciated.

Big Daddy
Hey Big Daddy! Great news - one just showed up in the for sale section on this site today! I would jump fast as they do go quick! Let us know how it goes!

I just pm'd you as well to trigger an email to you!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...per-79222.html
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 04-15-2017, 05:46 AM   #128

Name: Kora
Trailer: Shopping
Michigan
Quote:
Thanks Joe,

I'll keep looking. Let me know if you head of anything.

Big Daddy
There was one on the Grand Rapids Craigslist this week. Not sure if it is still there but worth checking if you are still looking.
Ksuee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #129

Name: Dave
Trailer: In the market for an EggCamper
Michigan
Big Daddy

Hi Joe,
"
Thanks for helping me look. That was the same "over priced" one now also listed on Craigslist for $15,900.00. They are probably listing at multiple sites. I'm still looking for a reasonable priced older model that makes sense for us.

Big Daddy
BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #130

Ohio
Florida Panhandle Trip

I wanted to post we finally got the EggCamper out for a trip - it was a biggie for us! We left home in Ohio and went to Indian Pass Campground in Florida. Actually spent 2 full weeks there! I have to say we loved it there!! So laid back! Its not for everybody, but if you don't mind a nice laid back place with nice people - but some may consider it a little rough around the edges. We loved the laid back rustic vibe of the place! And the people and the campground could not be beat!! Some full timers, but mostly short timer rentals.

The egg traveled well. I actually put the spare on the back bumper, and a bike rack, and bikes. But still no sway at all. Our speeds were mostly low 70's. All went well! The camper was very comfy and luckily no issues arose on the trip. This trip was the big reason for the push to get many of the previous mentioned mods done!

The rest of the summer is just short camping trips.....uuggg! Until retirement.......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0619.jpg   IMG_0620.jpg  

IMG_0621.jpg   IMG_0655.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 05-06-2017, 05:06 AM   #131

Michigan
Big Daddy to Joe

Hi Joe,

It sounds like your trip went well! Thanks for sharing your positive experience........we all need to concentrate on the positives. I'm still looking for that Used Egg in the Haystack.........I know it's there.....I just need to find it. Have some fun getaways this summer and let me know if you hear of any Egg Campers for sale.

Big Daddy
Old 05-06-2017, 08:50 AM   #132

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Hi Joe,

It sounds like your trip went well! Thanks for sharing your positive experience........we all need to concentrate on the positives. I'm still looking for that Used Egg in the Haystack.........I know it's there.....I just need to find it. Have some fun getaways this summer and let me know if you hear of any Egg Campers for sale.

Big Daddy
One just came up in the Classified section of this forum yesterday, in NH for $15,500.00
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #133

Michigan
Big Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
One just came up in the Classified section of this forum yesterday, in NH for $15,500.00
Dave & Paula
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #134

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Here is some pics of what my wife did to the inside! In my opinion she did a great job! The original EggCamper carpet is grey. She found a grey comforter, then found a shower curtain she liked and bought two of them. The shower curtain is the clothy type so she added a liner on the bathroom. Then used the extra shower curtain to cut up and make valances and throw pillows! Then found a matching picture and stuck it to the wall with 3M sticky strips. Added a gray small entry rug at the door and another on the counter top for protection.
These are beautiful! Could you elaborate on how you attached the valances? I want to do something similar to ours. . .

Thanks for sharing all your mods. I love the photos!

Tonie
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:44 AM   #135

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
These are beautiful! Could you elaborate on how you attached the valances? I want to do something similar to ours. . .

Thanks for sharing all your mods. I love the photos!

Tonie
Hi Tonie,

Thank you! I wanted to add pics thru all the mods for anybody's reference (including mine), and like a diary.

As for the valances, those are just sewn in a loop, then a curtain rod slid thru, then just laid on top of the mini-blinds loosely. The curtain rod actually just lays behind the mini-blind resting on the brackets, then the valance material lays up and over to the front. When we travel we just lay them on the bed, then put them back up when we stop - takes 30 seconds.

Now that you have me thinking, I suppose I could poke a small hole in the material and maybe slide a zip-tie thru and fasten the curtain rod to the mini blind bracket then they would stay put. Cherie said if she had to do them over again she would have made them a little longer - so they would have hung down a bit more in the front. But not worth the redo....ha.

Thanks again!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 05-24-2017, 05:54 AM   #136

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Egg Window Valances

Thanks, Joe and Cherie!

We've been "otherwise committed" lately, but will soon have some time to spend on the new (to us) Egg. I can't wait to get started, and have read all of your posts concerning the mods you have done. I appreciate the time you have taken to post the explanations and the photos! I think Cherie did a great job with the valances and shower curtain and pillows, and am looking forward to adding some color to our Egg along the same lines!

Thanks again,
Tonie
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #137

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Hi Joe,
We share your EggCamper enthusiasm! We've done a Queen size+memory foam bed mod, added propane but hardly ever used it, but we use a#78 AGM battery with the fridge on single overnight boondock sites and charge the AGM while we are driving, so maybe 2 AGM's might be an answer for 2 days of boondocking. Our spare is under the bed, which we leave in place. This past winter we towed #109 with the 2006 Tundra from MA to NC to FL to TX to CA and thru many of the Southwest National Parks and back to MA. Took about 10/11 weeks. I haven't been on the forum for a while, so now I've got to take some serious time off to read & digest all your interesting posts about what you've done with the Eggcamper-ha! Thanks for starting this thread. Now you've got me a-thinkin' about what do with the A/C on ours....I have never run it and have taken it out because we've only used the camper in the winter months. This picture is Scamp Camp 2015. We will probably be at Scamp Camp in Sebring, Florida in Feb 2018.
Mark & Linda
Western Mass. & Coastal North Carolina
Attached Thumbnails
Eggcamper & Outback at Scamp Camp, Sebring , Fl Feb. 2015.jpg  
Old 07-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #138

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastsignal View Post
Hi Joe,
We share your EggCamper enthusiasm! We've done a Queen size+memory foam bed mod, added propane but hardly ever used it, but we use a#78 AGM battery with the fridge on single overnight boondock sites and charge the AGM while we are driving, so maybe 2 AGM's might be an answer for 2 days of boondocking. Our spare is under the bed, which we leave in place. This past winter we towed #109 with the 2006 Tundra from MA to NC to FL to TX to CA and thru many of the Southwest National Parks and back to MA. Took about 10/11 weeks. I haven't been on the forum for a while, so now I've got to take some serious time off to read & digest all your interesting posts about what you've done with the Eggcamper-ha! Thanks for starting this thread. Now you've got me a-thinkin' about what do with the A/C on ours....I have never run it and have taken it out because we've only used the camper in the winter months. This picture is Scamp Camp 2015. We will probably be at Scamp Camp in Sebring, Florida in Feb 2018.
Mark & Linda
Western Mass. & Coastal North Carolina
Hi Mark and Linda,

Sounds like you've done some nice touches! I'd love to know more about the queen size bed mod, and the propane. How is the bed setup? What do you have running off propane? Also, what is the red netting on your egg front tongue/battery box? The long road trip sounds soooo nice - I cant wait till we can be gone that long!

I may replace the AC some day from the 5000 to an 8000, but its on the back burner right now. I think my next mod is a Trimetric TM-2030-RV install, and a 12v outlet.

We did just get home from a 2 night boondock and when we left the camp to go home, I checked and the battery was at 12.21v after about 40 hours of use. I did forget to unplug the egg from the truck the first night - I'm sure that helped.....ha! Fridge running entire time and small amount of water pump and lights. I'm wondering of 3 days is possible between charges?
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 07-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #139

Ohio
Battery Box and Propane Bottle Holders

Well after a 6 month wait - I finally got the egg into the weld shop. It wasn't cheap but I added onto the initial task and think they did a great job. I guess its worth it if we keep this thing till retirement!

Anyway I asked them to weld a frame on the tongue where I could sit the dual 6v battery box. This keeps it snug in all directions. Then I also asked them to weld a rack for the propane bottles.

I do CAD work, so I was able to give them a 3D drawing with dimensions. They hit it spot on! Also the L channel in the center of the battery box was the original one from the egg and it supports right down the center of the box so that worked out well and we left it on.

I have to order a propane hold down bracket and a dual tank cover. Between that cover and the egg body is enough room to mount a 4" PVC tube for the sewer hose so that will be done soon.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0820.jpg   IMG_0837.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 07-21-2017, 10:30 PM   #140

Ohio
New Bumper, Spare Tire Mount, and Receiver Hitch

Part two of the weld job was to cut off the thin rear bumper, then add a new rear bumper, along with a spare tire mount, and a receiver hitch. Again the CAD layout came useful as I tucked this stuff against the body but not too close.

The bumper is 2" x 4" steel capped off at both ends at 30 degrees. The receiver is welded to that bumper and goes under the trailer 2 feet. Then they added a 1.5" tube welded from one side of the frame to the other. This supports the receiver and doesn't allow any twist in the bumper with loads. I cant take credit for this design as I copied the Escape Trailer design.

Then they welded a 2" x 4" steel straight up and cut it at 45 degrees and capped it off. Then welded on the angled spare tire holder bracket. Now nothing is bolted on to the rear of the egg - its all welded and strong.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0821.jpg   IMG_0823.jpg  

IMG_0829.jpg   IMG_0832.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal

Tags
eggcamper