Journey to Backus in January 2014 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Journey to Backus in January 2014

Jill and I picked up our Scamp 13 Oak four years ago next month, traveling about 300 miles North from Madison, Wisconsin to Scampland in Backus, Minnesota. We checked road conditions before setting out and found dry pavements all the way, at least until we reached Scamp's parking lot (see attached pic). Wayne was pretty flexible about when we chose to arrive. Thankfully delivery orientation was indoors and much warmer. Wayne gave us a factory tour as well as explaining everything about our new camper, our second Scamp. If you look closely at the attached pic you can see stickers on the tire tread. The Scamp shipped without water, but with propane so we could camp right away. Would you believe we had to wait 4 months from order to pickup?

Over the next 4 years we slept 6 months in the Scamp, towed thirty thousand miles, crossing the Rockies 6 times, visited dozens of parks from Organ Pipe on the Mexican border to Jasper in the Canadian Rockies and from Pictured Rocks in Michigan to Big Sur in California. Six months out of 48 is far too little. This earning a living stuff really gets in the way.

Also we made dozens of modifications to the rig over that time, from lifting it 3 inches, to adding solar on top. I expect we will keep on Scamping til they pry my driver's license out of my cold fingers.

Happy 2018 all and Happy Trails, john
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Scamp 13' 3 (1).jpg   2014 Scamp 13' 1.jpg  

2014 Scamp 13' 7 (1).jpg   2014 Scamp 13' 6.jpg  

2014 Scamp 13' 8 (1).jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Great memory, John!

I still find work very rewarding, though it certainly does tie you down. It was an adjustment for me when I transitioned from teaching, with summers off, to ministry, in which summer is usually my busiest time of year. In my teaching days I made several 2-3 week cross country tours, but now travel is limited shorter 3-7 day trips within a long day's drive. On the plus side I now enjoy the flexibility to schedule our vacations during off-peak seasons. One advantage of the Southwest is decent camping weather somewhere nearby pretty much all year round.

Limited time means I appreciate each day spent camping all the more. Hope 2018 brings you many new adventures!

Happy New Year to all!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote