Just bought my second Trillium 4500 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Just bought my second Trillium 4500

I just closed the deal on my second 4500. I was looking for something that I could put a front bathroom in. Maybe something that had an air conditioner that had caused the roof to sag, or a botched, or unfinished gaucho mod, or what ever. My budget was limited, so I was willing to compromise.

I am told that the trailer that I bought is in good shape, It is another 1978 Trillium 4500 deluxe, just like my first trailer. In fact, from what I have seen, it is an exact replica. of my first trailer. The attached photos are from the kijiji add. This is all I have seen of the trailer.

It was in Elliot Lake Ontario. There seem to be a glut of trailers on kijiji in Ontario right now. Elliot Lake is 200km from my dad's summer place on Manitoulin Island. My dad and brother in law went and picked it up on Sunday. Dad tells me it is in good shape. No obvious defects, and it towed fine for 200km.

This summer I am taking the family out to the west side of Vancouver Island to camp on the beach at Green Point camp ground. So it will be next year that we head out to my dad's place to pick up the trailer. We will leave my first trailer at home, and once more tent camp till we get to my dad's place. Spend a week fixing up the trailer, maybe change the axle, and coupler. Then tow it home.

My oldest son will be 18 in September. He and my wife, do not get along. He hasn't expressed any interest in post secondary education, or a job. So it is my prediction that not too long after September, he will be looking for a new address. I am thinking we tow him to the parking lot of the nearest Walmart. When they tell him to move, then it is off to the next nearest Walmart. Or maybe, my brother, who is squatting with his big fifth wheel, will take him under his wing and show him good a good squat. I realize that we will have to loan him the first trailer until we pick up the new trailer. My fantasy is him sitting in the parking lot of Walmart, hungry, bored, (but not cold, I will provide him with propane) and thinking to himself, "boy do I need a job". I can dream. Of course, if he gets a job and pays a symbolic rent, his stay at our house may be extended. That would give him time to work on his trailer, maybe put a bath room in the place of the gaucho.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 1.jpg   Picture 2.jpg  

Picture 3.jpg   Picture 4.jpg  

Picture 5.jpg   Picture 6.jpg  

Picture 7.jpg   Picture 8.jpg  

Picture 9.jpg   Picture 10.jpg  

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
Well, first- congrads on your new trailer! My first trailer was a Trillium, and since I've sold it, and have a Fiberstream.
Second, congrads on giving your son a good option! My own son, also 18, doesn't want to work. He says there is no need to have money because we take care of him! He continues to go to college- just finished his first year- but I told him, he needs to decide what he's going to do. I'm not paying for a Gen Ed degree for him!
Well- best of luck to you and your new FBG trailer!
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #3

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
A day late and a dollar short is the story of my life. Called on a 4500 only 4 hours away as soon as I saw it on Craigslist. Already sold. Congrats on yours and good luck w/ your son. Our oldest has moved home about 5 times-generally only stays a couple of months. Now back in college ( luckily mostly on his dime).
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Wow, that's quite the distance, good job you have family in the area! It looks in pretty good shape. They seem to be breeding Trilliums in Ontario!!!
Good luck with your son sometimes it does take a few hard knocks and maturity and then they blossom!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #5

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Wow, that's quite the distance, good job you have family in the area! It looks in pretty good shape. They seem to be breeding Trilliums in Ontario!!!
Good luck with your son sometimes it does take a few hard knocks and maturity and then they blossom!
He is a good kid, but it is time to be a grown up.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #6

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Congrats on the trillium score.

What's that awning in the picture? I'd like to have some kind of awning.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #7

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddo411 View Post
Congrats on the trillium score.

What's that awning in the picture? I'd like to have some kind of awning.
Boy do I wish I knew! I am hoping dad sends me some pictures. I am not even sure it has the bunk supports yet. I have asked for more pictures, and he says, "you have already seen pictures of it, online". No offence to the seller, but I think he needs a new camera. Dad says it doesn't have any weird smells. That's good.

I got lucky with my first Trillium. It came with the original awning, and all the hardware, (some I still don't know how to use). It takes some time to set up though.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=David Tilston;307869 My fantasy is him sitting in the parking lot of Walmart, hungry, bored, (but not cold, I will provide him with propane) and thinking to himself, "boy do I need a job". I can dream. .[/QUOTE]

you never know he may be one of those that decides to shock his family and totally change over night! Next week you might find yourself selling one of the trailers to help finance his university degree..... Its been known to happen!

In the meantime congrats on the new trailer!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Next week you might find yourself selling one of the trailers to help finance his university degree.
The trailer stays ether way. The plan is that each of the 5 kids gets a trailer as a wedding gift, or launch pad. One down, four to go.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Sometimes tough love is what it takes. Fortunately we didn't have to use that on either of our boys.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #11

Alberta
Registry
I was somewhat concerned about pictures 2 and 9. I could see a dark spot on the top of the trailer.

My dad sent these pictures of the worst of the flaws that he found. I sure hope those aren't bullet holes.

Not too bad. I guess a paint job is in order.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2056 From Dad.jpg   DSCF2057 From Dad.jpg  

Old 05-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #12

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
fixing holes ..

You can fix those holes (assuming that's what they are).

6 month's ago I knew nothing about fiberglass, and now I have a belly band repair ( and other smaller fixes ) under my belt.

I haven't done it this way, but I understand that you can apply gel-coat to specific areas that need repair .... In otherwords, you may not have to do a full paint job (unless you want to).

Message me if you have questions.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #13

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Looks really nice on this inside - gotta say, I'm kind of jealous. I've got so many things to do to the trillium I have now, why oh why am I thinking about what it would be like to have another?!!! If it doesn't work out with your son......I'd be more than happy to move in to the trailer!
lhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Actually, if it does work out with my son, he won't need the trailer, but, the odds of that seem low. He did get a summer job though. He will be working a the Real Canadian Super Store in the garden department. My wife did all the work to get him the job, but at least he will have some income. If he does a good job, maybe they will give him a permanent job.
when I give him the boot, he would do better with a trailer that has a toilet and shower. I am trying to convince him to go come up with half the cost on this trailer, assuming that we can negotiate a better price.
1985- 20ft 5th Wheel Trailer Spiritwing by Bigfoot - Moose Jaw Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Moose Jaw Canada.

Of course I will need a pickup to move it, but in Calgary, an old regular cab pickup, that runs good, can be found for less then $1000.

Tags
trillium