Just couldn't sell it - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-16-2018, 05:11 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Just couldn't sell it

We bought a Scamp 13 in 2000, and have really enjoyed it over the years.

Unrelated, we discovered many years ago that it was possible volunteer at many parks and wildlife refuges, where they provide a full hookup site in exchange for part-time work. We made that our post-retirement plan. We realized the Scamp wouldn't cut it for that lifestyle, so when we retired in 2013 we bought a larger trailer for our volunteer adventures.

We kept the Scamp for weekend getaways from our home base, but have not used it much. We decided to finally sell it. I had one minor repair to do before posting the ad, so I went to get it from the storage lot. My wife tagged along. Driving it home, we didn't get a quarter mile down the road before we realized we just could not part with it. So we have committed to finding more opportunities for Scamp camping.

The big trailer is great (Airstream 25') but the Scamp just has a whole different vibe, and the experience is much more "camping" than with the big one.
SteveGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Good move! As long as you can handle the storage, different sized campers can have totally different uses. Ideally, I'd have four or five different ones, but by then, the maintenance and storage would be overwhelming. I still wouldn't mind #2, a small, basic, lightweight, vintage one, like a Trillium 1300 or a Boler.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I just sent my winter 35 ft stickie to a Prescott, AZ Rv dealer on consignment. Keeping my Escape 19 which I call my fun trailer. I spent one AZ winter in it and I can do it again. The sale of my stickie will give me more gas and campground money.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
even more fun

bob its even more fun managing in a 13f scamper for a month at a time!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #5

Name: Sara
Trailer: I'm now married to a 16 Foot 93 Scamp!
Florida
It takes one to understand one

scamploversRus
Old 02-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
We have 3 . A 16 foot Scamp, a Hunter l and a Trailswest Campster. We do longer trips in the Scamp and camp with our teardrop friends in either one of the poptops . Desperately searching for a 12 step program for fiberglass addiction. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
If only I had the room to store them all.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #8

Name: Sara
Trailer: I'm now married to a 16 Foot 93 Scamp!
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
If only I had the room to store them all.
ROFLOL!
Old 02-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
indeed, i wouldn't mind keeping our Casita 16 for my solo trips (I do several multinight astronomy campouts each year, which my wife finds too boring), and using the Escape 21 for our together trips. but we'll need the $$ for the casita, so I need to get off my duff and prep it for sale.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I fully understand and appreciate the difficulty in letting loose of of our FGRVs. We started with a Casita. When we bought our class A, we sold the Casita, but I kept following this site. The class A was a pain to maintain, drive, and park. I bought the Campster, not thinking that we would downsize, but thinking we could go places on the spur of the moment and get into places where "Bertha" couldn't. I also wanted a portable ham radio setup. We originally did not consider selling the class A but then decided we didn't need both. So we are down to just the Campster.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #11

Name: James
Trailer: Escape... exScamp 19 both great trailers
Wisconsin
Can’t explain why

Funny that this thread just popped up. My wife Linda and I just got back from the Quartzite rally, we had a great time. Early this November we decided to take a permanent site in Why, Arizona. After we had spent a few weeks on the site our 19 foot Scamp got a little tight. We decided to purchase a 29 foot Arctic Fox, great camper by the way, and where considering selling the Scamp. The rally rekindled the feelings we had when we first bought the Scamp. Needless to say we will be a 2 camper family until further notice. Hi to everyone we met at Quartzite.
Jm Rintel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #12

Name: Jim
Illinois
I have 3 . A tent for my motorcycle, a Kompact Kamp for my Miata & a Scamp 13. Each has it’s place .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #13

Missouri
do you all

do you all know about the addiction network?

bob
Old 02-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #14

Name: Susan
New Mexico
For us,after 1 year, the 13' Scamp (w/o bathroom) is still luxurious after 35+ years of car camping & backpacking. Of course- the car camping was luxurious compared to backpacking. Mainly got the Scamp, to have a place for the dog to hang out while we hiked dog unfriendly trails, or went out to dinner occasionally. (Being able to cook out of the rain/snow & dust storms didnt hurt either!
Poodlesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #15

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Keeping it simple!

We had a 1999 2-door Tahoe. It was the last year of the 2 door model. We would fold down the back seat - it folded into the floor flat. Blow up the full size air mattress and it fit perfectly front to back and side to side!! We would crawl in the back over the tailgate into our BIG COMFY bed! TONS of blankets! Hot out = hatch open. Cold out = hatch shut! On really cold nights we would run an extension cord in the door window and have a cube heater on the console. I miss those days!!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
do you all know about the addiction network?
honest, I can quit any time I want!

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:46 AM   #17

Name: Jim
Illinois
Addiction

I became addicted when I was 13 ; that was 67 years ago . I see now there will be no stopping until I am no longer able !
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:22 AM   #18

Missouri
addiction

well I have 4 cars 1 pick-up just cant seem to get rid of them even at 76 none of them worth much!

we love our 13f scamper after tenting for 41 years all over the world with a cabellas Alaskan guide tent the scamper is pure luxury. but even now I have a hankering for 1 more trip to Europe if my back will hold up.

now trouting has taken over so one more addiction to deal with!

bob
Old 02-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #19

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Well Papa-t here. Yea after owning U-haul 16’, Scamp 16’ and a Scamp 19’, we went back to the dark side in 2015. We now own a 28’ Crossroads 5er. We had to change back for my wife who developed Psoriatic arthritis and just couldn’t deal with the climbing up into the bunk anymore and needed more comfort. We are doing well but I still check out this sight from time to time and can spot a FG unit a mile away. Once in the blood you never really forget it. Good luck to all you FG junkies.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #20

Missouri
john I was amazed at the Mercedes pulling trailers in Europe. camping in a big deal there!

they have funny looking hitches!

bob