Just my opinion - R-Pod - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Yeah but.... This is MFROG.....Ribet..... A little bias should be expected, nothing to "croak" over! [lol]
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #22

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
We have been drooling over the FG Eggs for quite some time now but with a Hubby who is around 300 lbs we just cant do that tiny bed. We have a King bed at home and a queen in our popup and that's about as small as we can go and sleep comfortably. DH also has sleep apnea so we need room for the machine and hose. We also have 2 kids ages 7 and 14 so we definately want to sleep 4 and have the shower/toilet.

Anyway, we're looking for any info on the Rpod especially from previous Egg Owners for towing comparison etc. I've been on the Rpod forum and they aren't as active over there.

Thanks,
Melissa
Hi Melissa! If you're bound and determined to go fiberglass with a king or queen bed, it sounds like you have four options, depending on how deep your pockets are, and how large a tow vehicle you're willing to go. If you can do a full-size half-ton tow vehicle (pickup, suburban, tahoe etc.) and you have fairly deep pockets, look at the Bigfoot 25 RQ. I have a full 80" queen in mine along with a fairly large shower (small entry tho) and adequate walk-around room.

If you demand to stay under 3500lb GVWR, then your options are the Casita 17 with the King bed, or the Burro 17' wide body (no longer in production, but they can be had reasonbly priced used), or the EggCamper 17' wide body. There aren't many EggCampers out there used, but occasionally you might find one. The Burro 17 and the EggCamper 17 both have larger-than-queen size beds.

That's about it in the fiberglass offerings. I've had a Burro 17 and I loved it. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up an EggCamper if one presented itself... and I absolutely drone on about how fabulous it is when anyone asks about our Bigfoot. :

Oh... and don't get too concerned about gas mileage towing... you'll get what you get... and that's another whole topic of discussion. Pick the trailer to suit your needs, and then tow it!

Happy Hunting!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #23
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
That Casita with the "king bed" is known as their "Liberty" floor plan, and, actually, you can get it in both the 16' or 17' models. There's a smidge more head room in the 17 footer than the 16, which really helps if you get the deluxe version (in Casita parlance that means it has a very small bathroom). I recommend you find one of these in your area that you can tour (call Casita Enterprises and they will put you in touch with an owner in their show-off-your-trailer program). Even the 17' may seem pretty claustrophobic compared to a tent-trailer... which is not to discourage you. It just takes some getting used to!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #24

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Imagine, having to duck to get into or walk around a camping trailer and with A/C making it 2" lower, anyone remember the tent?????????
Old 07-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #25

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Although the EggCamper sleeping area is plenty long for a king or queen size bed, it is only 54" wide - about the width of a full bed.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #26

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
2010 R-Pod 173

Well after selling my Trillium4500 a couple of years ago I found I really hated tenting again so no luck searching for a good Egg I took the plunge and bought a 2010 R-Pod 173 at Campkins in Whitby. $13900.00 Cdn. on year end sale. It is easier to tow than my old 80 4500, has much more in it and well the appliances are just newer. Air, furnace, big fridge compared to the old Trill, Convection/grill/microwave oven, shower, toilet, fantastic fan, blinds/curtains, bigger bed, couch that flips down to a bed, water heater, water pump, tv antenna with booster, TV/DVD/CD/radio combo, R-Dome screen house, battery, 20 lb tank, cable or satelite connection. While the tv is only 9" you'd be surprised at how quick it seems just fine. It would be easy to mount a larger flat screen and run the conncections to it. Anyway I only stayed in it one night on my way home to North Bay, at Emily, I think we know where that is, and really liked it. The sound for CD's isn't that great but had my I-Pod stereo and the sound in this trailer is great when you have a good little system. As for ducking we are not a tall people. Now to name it......
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Morris View Post
. Now to name it......
How about the Padi O Latern?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #28

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
We are formally Scamp owners. We loved our Scamp, but we were getting tired of not being able to stand up in it, or have a bed already made. We purchased a 2009 R-Pod in May 2009. We have the #172 model. We love it. We have had a few problems, but were able to fix them ourselves. We just gotten home from an 8 day trip to Minn and Wis. We pull our R-pod with 2009 Ford f150. I had a Chev Trailblazer, but it was only a 6 cyl., which it just didn't want to pull. The Ford is a small v8. We average around 12 to 14 while pulling, and 20 when not pulling.
William Schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #29

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
Padi O lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
How about the Padi O Latern?
Hmm, Kim Mitchell might sue......
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote