Just what is a geezer pass and how do I get one? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Old 03-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #22

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Sorry...I meant...RAZ..
Old 11-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #23

Name: Sandi
Trailer: sold
Alberta
Sure wish the American one was offered for higher price to Canadians, sounds like a excellent perk for seniors to encourage travel. Does anyone know if Canada offers a senior pass?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi J View Post
Sure wish the American one was offered for higher price to Canadians, sounds like a excellent perk for seniors to encourage travel. Does anyone know if Canada offers a senior pass?
Parks Canada does sell a yearly pass with a discount to seniors but it does not include camping fees.

At least some of the Provinces offering a discount on camping fees to seniors - each province is different and the discount is not always for the whole year. For example in BC Seniors camp for half price from Labour Day through to June 14th of the following year.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Working hard and paying my own bills is a duty for which I expect no "reward", nor do I anticipate a time when that responsibility will pass to others.

And certainly, my responsibility to provide for the next generation precludes the expectation that I'll make them pay more just so I can pay less; which is what "senior discounts" amount to.

I can't say that I feel your guilt, or agree with your conclusion on which it is based, but.....

Remember, Seniors leave a smaller footprint and average only about 1.5 persons per site, they stay longer and at off times , like off season and weekdays. Thereby filling the coffers and actually lowering the cost for the younger folks and leaving the parks for them at peak times.
Hopefully these rationalizations can assuage your conscience and allow you to accept this small token of appreciation and respect.

If not, I suggest you accept the discount, then donate the balance to your church or favorite charity.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

I can't say that I feel your guilt, or agree with your conclusion on which it is based, but.....

Remember, Seniors leave a smaller footprint and average only about 1.5 persons per site, they stay longer and at off times , like off season and weekdays. Thereby filling the coffers and actually lowering the cost for the younger folks and leaving the parks for them at peak times.
Hopefully these rationalizations can assuage your conscience and allow you to accept this small token of appreciation and respect.

If not, I suggest you accept the discount, then donate the balance to your church or favorite charity.

Well said, Floyd. Many businesses realize this and offer senior discounts because making a reduced profit is better than making NO Profit. I seriously doubt any private or public enterprise is losing money offering senior discounts, military discounts, new mother discounts, or "greatly reduced sale prices."

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #27

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Good response Floyd, and no guilt here either.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I am a Geezer I have a Geezer pass . I have used it on a few occasions . I do not feel any guilt in owning or using my Geezer pass .
Old 11-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #29

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
I'm philosophically opposed to/refuse to use senior discounts since costs are just passed down to those under the age of "qualification". Which age I've reached, by the way.

I think such passes should instead be issued to families with children since that's the population most squeezed by today's economy.

Working hard and paying my own bills is a duty for which I expect no "reward", nor do I anticipate a time when that responsibility will pass to others.

And certainly, my responsibility to provide for the next generation precludes the expectation that I'll make them pay more just so I can pay less; which is what "senior discounts" amount to.
I appreciate your stance on this issue and applaud the guts it takes to make and practice it. I don’t, however, necessarily personally agree with it.

During the past 47 years I have gone to school, earned a professional degree then worked until now. During all that time I never asked anyone for anything I didn’t work for and earn. With the exception of auto and mortgage loans I’ve never borrowed any money and all of this has long been paid off. I’ve paid all my taxes thru the years. I don’t find anything really special about this scenario as I’m sure it mirrors most of the participants of this and many of these forums.

So, I’m not really feeling too guilty about my $10.00 card from the NPS.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I qualified for a Geezer Pass this year, can't wait to get one. Doesn't mean I'll use it... but I can!
Old 11-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #31

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
There is nothing wrong with getting a break, On Black Friday, During a Sale at a store or living living enough to get a lifetime National Park Service pass that you still have to pay for.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #32

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I'll do ya folks one better. I've got the Disabled ACCESS pass. Not only do I enjoy the discounts, but it was absolutely totally FREE!
Old 11-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #33

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Province of Newfoundland Discount.

Provincial Parks in Canada provide a 50% discount to seniors for anyone that is a senior. Typically discounted prices vary from $9-14CND. It requires the purchase of a yearly pass, $15 I believe.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #34

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Unfortunately as Carol said not for everyone in BC. You have to be a resident of BC and it is only before June 15th and after Labour day. Unfortunately many of the campground in BC aren't open much longer than that outside of the lower mainland.
You do get a $10 discount on the National Park pass, its $57.90 per person instead of $67.60 but that is just for admission for a year, no discount for camping.
I wish we had the geezer pass!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
I'm philosophically opposed to/refuse to use senior discounts since costs are just passed down to those under the age of "qualification". Which age I've reached, by the way.

I think such passes should instead be issued to families with children since that's the population most squeezed by today's economy.
Sorry, late to the game, somehow missing this thread before.

To some degree, I agree with what Francesca said here, as would my mother, not that seniors shouldn't get breaks, but it affording things can sure be tough on young families. My mother always says, that though she does appreciate all the benefits that seniors get, she would have rather had these breaks when younger and needed them more. Since then she has had most of a lifetime to plan for her senior years.

However, if any breaks are offered to me because of my age, I would not turn them down. Maybe then I could use these savings to help out my kids as they raise families.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #36

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
To me, getting a senior pass will be just as agreeable as getting social security and medicare. I'll have paid my dues through the years, and by then it will be time to receive some returns.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:41 PM   #37

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

This statement makes some very interesting assumptions. The first and foremost assumption I see is that somehow you controlled who your ancestry was, and where you were born. The luck of the draw determines your social economic position is life.

I feel extremely lucky to:
Be born in the US and have along US citizen ancestry.
Be born of parents that helped guide me to a career that I managed to make a living at.
Live long enough to enjoy the discounts granted to "seniors", and be healthy to enjoy them.

I would not turn down a large sum of money won in a lottery game, which would have come my way by pure luck, would you?
Old 11-30-2014, 12:58 AM   #38

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Also I feel that it's my obligation to take advantage of senior discounts so that others that might need it more will have the discounts to take advantage of.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:12 AM   #39

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm 64 and new to FGRV camping. I just found out about the geezer passes before our last trip. I received mine and was elated to save $24 at the LBL Rally.

I worked all my adult life in service to our great country. I spent 40 years as a Soldier, both Active and Reserves, and 30 years as a Dept of Army Civilian. I paid taxes my whole life and never collected one penny of welfare , food stamps, EBT cards, free phones or any other form of wealth redistribution. I'm not complaining about it. It was the life I chose, and loved every minute of it. I did what I did for a few reasons, but I had to make sacrifices most people can't even imagine. My wife and kids even more so. I never made much money, but still managed to camp with the family, albeit in a tent.

Owning a camper was something to dream about. The dream came through for us, and if the country wants to give us a break on the costs with a little discount, I for one don't feel the least bit guilty taking it. Our kids are happy to see us take advantage of it as well. Someday, they hope to get a geezer pass.

My wife and I also take advantage of McDonald's senior coffee. How cool is that?

Tom
Old 11-30-2014, 07:00 AM   #40

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Some senior citizens depend on them, i`m sure, to go camping in our tiny little campers. Not all have the "golden parachute" retirement income. For myself i have not used anything yet, I`m 70, I will though. Carl
Closed Thread