Kid-proof Happier Camper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #1

Name: Christyn
Trailer: Aliner
Illinois
Kid-proof Happier Camper?

Not sure how many HC owners there are on this forum, I'm looking to see if my understanding is right on this brand...would love any insights!

We've started becoming interested in Happier Camper for a few basic reasons.

1. There do not appear to be any caulk seams to maintain except sealing openings like AC/vent fan. Is that right? I can't tell if windows/belly band etc. require sealing.

2. If a leak occurred on the inside of the camper or between the walls would it simply drain out? I'm not sure if there's a drain or opening for in-the-wall leaks but I think there is one on the floor for the inside? Not having a wood floor seems a huge advantage as far as longevity.

3. My two young boys are sweet as can be and naturally destructive, our current laminate cabinetry is taking a beating, the HC furniture modules being rotomolded (I think?) seemed to me they might be far more long-lasting (and replaceable), however I have NO IDEA how easily the fiberglass interior would take on wear or how difficult it is to clean/maintain.

Does anyone know what the frame is made of? I assumed it was aluminum or steel but then I thought I saw somewhere that the frame itself was fiberglass as well, I wasn't sure how that was even possible.

The only other camper I know of that seem to share some of these traits is Oliver but it's just more trailer and expense than we would like.

Obviously we're looking for a rot-proof, kid-proof camper, lol...thank you so much for any thoughts or if I've missed a good option
Christyn Midwestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christyn Midwestyn View Post
Not sure how many HC owners there are on this forum, I'm looking to see if my understanding is right on this brand...would love any insights!

We've started becoming interested in Happier Camper for a few basic reasons.

1. There do not appear to be any caulk seams to maintain except sealing openings like AC/vent fan. Is that right? I can't tell if windows/belly band etc. require sealing.

2. If a leak occurred on the inside of the camper or between the walls would it simply drain out? I'm not sure if there's a drain or opening for in-the-wall leaks but I think there is one on the floor for the inside? Not having a wood floor seems a huge advantage as far as longevity.

3. My two young boys are sweet as can be and naturally destructive, our current laminate cabinetry is taking a beating, the HC furniture modules being rotomolded (I think?) seemed to me they might be far more long-lasting (and replaceable), however I have NO IDEA how easily the fiberglass interior would take on wear or how difficult it is to clean/maintain.

Does anyone know what the frame is made of? I assumed it was aluminum or steel but then I thought I saw somewhere that the frame itself was fiberglass as well, I wasn't sure how that was even possible.

The only other camper I know of that seem to share some of these traits is Oliver but it's just more trailer and expense than we would like.

Obviously we're looking for a rot-proof, kid-proof camper, lol...thank you so much for any thoughts or if I've missed a good option
Hello again Christyn and just should you know I’m am the Father of the owner of Happier Camper and operate the Amherstburg Ont showroom .
While there are some HC owners here most are on the Happier Camper Owners FB site which unfortunately is only open to owners of an HC1 or HCT. Or those who have made a deposit but I believe they are working on Something for Interested buyers.

Yes you are correct on sealant being on only the fan and some of the interior for astetics only . All windows use butal tape and usually require no other maintenance. Interior and exterior belly band are factory sealed and also require no further maintenance.

While leaks are rare they can sometimes occur as well as leaving the side door or hatch open during rain can allow water into the trailer but the HC1 has been engineered to drain the water out the 2 in drain in the front of the all molded fg floor think of it more like boat construction.

All interior cabinetry and interior walls are gell coated fg and are extremely durable and easy to clean and should last generations with simple care.the only wood in the trailer are the doors and table tops with highly sustainable bamboo being the most popular. The rotomolded cubes which make up the seating and bedding are extremely durable and can be moved around the interior as well as can be used outdoors . The cubes come in 2 choices white and gray but with 2 sweet but destructive boys I would highly recommend the gray as they are easier to keep clean.

The HC1 uses a powder coated steel frame but HC is testing a all aluminum frame for future use

Yes the HC is of a similar build as the Oliver but with a totally different philosophy.

You can take a virtual tour at Happier Camper . com for a better Understanding of the HC1 or HCT or you can ask to set you up with a referral with an HC owner.
Thanks for your interest and good luck in your search for a fg trailer.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Happier Camper - Adult Proof too!

Hi Christyn,

I totally understand your kid proof concerns. While I do not have children, I do have grandchildren, but for me personally, I wanted "ease of cleaning ". I did not want to be spending my time cleaning nooks and crannies. Happier Camper did it for me! Take out all the cubes, lower the front end, take out the stopper in the drain and hose it down!

With the ability to change the Happier Camper interior in a few minutes, setting up three tables with seating on both sides, and still with room to move around inside was a lifesaver during rainy weather keeping the grandchildren occupied with projects on the tables inside, out of the rain.

My Happier Camper has also been used for the little ones naps times. A quiet, safe, and with the shades drawn, dark place, while the older ones would be out playing in the woods.

Recently our Happier Camper has been parked in a driveway while we 'schooled at home' three grandchildren. With all different grades and using tablets connected to their teachers and classmates, each required a quiet space away from the others. The Happier Camper became that space for one of them.

Do I love my Happier Camper? Heck yes! It is and continues to be adaptable in any situation, with children and adults.

And I agree with Mik, choose gray cubes. I've had both.

JLynn
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #4

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Hello again Christyn and just should you know I’m am the Father of the owner of Happier Camper and operate the Amherstburg Ont showroom .
While there are some HC owners here most are on the Happier Camper Owners FB site which unfortunately is only open to owners of an HC1 or HCT. Or those who have made a deposit but I believe they are working on Something for Interested buyers.

Yes you are correct on sealant being on only the fan and some of the interior for astetics only . All windows use butal tape and usually require no other maintenance. Interior and exterior belly band are factory sealed and also require no further maintenance.

While leaks are rare they can sometimes occur as well as leaving the side door or hatch open during rain can allow water into the trailer but the HC1 has been engineered to drain the water out the 2 in drain in the front of the all molded fg floor think of it more like boat construction.

All interior cabinetry and interior walls are gell coated fg and are extremely durable and easy to clean and should last generations with simple care.the only wood in the trailer are the doors and table tops with highly sustainable bamboo being the most popular. The rotomolded cubes which make up the seating and bedding are extremely durable and can be moved around the interior as well as can be used outdoors . The cubes come in 2 choices white and gray but with 2 sweet but destructive boys I would highly recommend the gray as they are easier to keep clean.

The HC1 uses a powder coated steel frame but HC is testing a all aluminum frame for future use

Yes the HC is of a similar build as the Oliver but with a totally different philosophy.

You can take a virtual tour at Happier Camper . com for a better Understanding of the HC1 or HCT or you can ask to set you up with a referral with an HC owner.
Thanks for your interest and good luck in your search for a fg trailer.
Thank you Mikmay, this is super helpful, I wish there was a showroom near me, anything in the midwest? If water leaks in between the fiberglass walls, does it drain to the inside camper (and consequently out the floor drain) or does it drain simply onto the ground?

Also do you know what the insulation is?

What an asset to this forum having you here, thank you.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #5

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
Hi Christyn,

I totally understand your kid proof concerns. While I do not have children, I do have grandchildren, but for me personally, I wanted "ease of cleaning ". I did not want to be spending my time cleaning nooks and crannies. Happier Camper did it for me! Take out all the cubes, lower the front end, take out the stopper in the drain and hose it down!

With the ability to change the Happier Camper interior in a few minutes, setting up three tables with seating on both sides, and still with room to move around inside was a lifesaver during rainy weather keeping the grandchildren occupied with projects on the tables inside, out of the rain.

My Happier Camper has also been used for the little ones naps times. A quiet, safe, and with the shades drawn, dark place, while the older ones would be out playing in the woods.

Recently our Happier Camper has been parked in a driveway while we 'schooled at home' three grandchildren. With all different grades and using tablets connected to their teachers and classmates, each required a quiet space away from the others. The Happier Camper became that space for one of them.

Do I love my Happier Camper? Heck yes! It is and continues to be adaptable in any situation, with children and adults.

And I agree with Mik, choose gray cubes. I've had both.

JLynn
I'm so glad to hear this! That's what I need, something that can be disassembled and cleaned off without easily taking on damage. I really think that is a game-changer for us, right now if something becomes damaged there's nothing to do but try to fix it, but with laminate cabinetry that has its limitations.

I'm glad the grey color was mentioned, I wouldn't have thought of that!

Have you noticed if the frame tends to take on rust?
Old 06-23-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Thank you Mikmay, this is super helpful, I wish there was a showroom near me, anything in the midwest? If water leaks in between the fiberglass walls, does it drain to the inside camper (and consequently out the floor drain) or does it drain simply onto the ground?

Also do you know what the insulation is?

What an asset to this forum having you here, thank you.
We do have a showroom in the Midwest in Amherstburg Ont just minutes from the Detroit border but unfortunately the border is closed until July23 unless they move it again . There are only a couple areas where water could possibly infiltrate ,the fan or ac or both if you had both but that would be a rare occurrence and the windows ,also rare but possible as all windows and fan are imbedded with butal tape.There were a few trailers that were shipped out after a change to a new facility and the fans were not imbedded with butal tape due to miscommunication with the new crew and yes they did leak but only to the inside floor and due to the boat construction no damage was done ,water was easily cleaned up and fan repaired with no further issues. The HC1 also had some issues with water leaking into the rear hatch through the rear latch but was easily rectified by installing weep holes in bottom as it was impossible to change the latch.
These were issues on the first and second generation trailers and as of February 2020 HC has completely built new molds With some significant differences from earlier trailers.
There is insulation between the shell and HC in constantly testing new products so what we have today may not be what is used on future builds
Thanks again for your interest Christyn .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #7
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Quote:

Have you noticed if the frame tends to take on rust?
No, the bare steel frame is covered with paint.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
happier camper