kinda bad news re: knee replacements-any one else dealing with this? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #1

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
kinda bad news re: knee replacements-any one else dealing with this?

i just got on the road a few weeks ago and today found out i need a revision on one of my knees or i might lose my leg. does this make any sense??? i have had some problems since november...but really minimal pain compared to other issues i have.

3 months after my replacements i was riding horses again and kayaking and walking long distances. but it sounds like revisions are much harder. i plan to get a second opinion but my doc did do a really good job the first time.

so i would love to hear from anyone who has gone thru this. how you did. did your doc really say you could lose the leg???

i was looking forward to many hours in the camper before winter. not sure what will happen now.
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
That stinks, I'd be asking a lot of detailed questions around "why?". Friend of mine was told by an ortho that he'd likely be in a wheelchair in a year and lose his legs soon after. Second and third docs told him he's fine, if he had continuing pain they'd do minor cleanup surgery. It's been three years and with some minor changes he rarely has pain at all now.

I'd ask about your particular brand of replacement, lots of class-action lawsuits out there against DePuy and others over faulty joints. My mother had to get both hips redone because of a recall.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Kayak, sorry to hear your having problems with your knee replacement :-( I have a few bookmarks on the topic as I have knee issues as well.

Here is one website that has good info on the topic of Revision Knee Replacement and gives the various reasons why it might be necessary.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
This will not help the replacement people but may help others with joint problems. Check out the site then look for a provider in your area.
Truong Rehabilitation Center Fredericksburg, VA - aquatic therapy . ultrasound . manipulation . massage . injection . exercise . prosthetics . acupuncture
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #5

New Hampshire
thx-today was a bit crazy on the phone with doc and nurses etc. it turns out..."losing the leg" was probably an exageration on the part of the doc because i kept telling him i wasnt ready for surgery...he said that to make his point that if i didnt do it soon THEN losing the leg would happen.

i guess there's places on the xrays that show the beginning of fractures so i have to be careful.

they have me scheduled for 7/12 and on a waiting list if there is a cancel. it could be worse. there's really too many tourists around july and august anyway...i like less traffic and less ppl and pretend the beach is all mine. spring and fall are my favorites.

thx for the info.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #6

New Hampshire
carol-i just got around to reading that link. thank you. that one says 90% of revisions are successful mine said 46% are successful. im glad i read yours. im pretty sure i do need the surgery and i do like the doc but i am getting a second opinion anyway.

i am both obese and active and that is a combo that leads to failure i guess. no one tole me that. i didnt ski or play tennis or football...thats all they said not to do. i think it was the lifting...i moved a bunch of times. tried to live with my son and it didnt work and then a recent move out of the mountains. flat land is easier with these knees.

anyway thanks a lot. still would love to hear from anyone else with experience with this.

kevinpete-your story is scarey. and there was somthing on the news last night about hospital admins pushing for more surgerys and more tests etc. because that is how they make $. it seems like just yesterday you couldnt get anything done cuz of health ins companies stopped it
Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #7

Name: dave
Trailer: castia 16ft
Kansas
Had my left knee replaced 2 years ago doing fine. Going in next week , for full knee replacement on my right one. Hope to be back to walking 5 miles daily by 4th week.with rehab back to full motion by 6-7th week. Time will tell. Already have site reserved for Kansas extravaganza in Sept can't wait LOL
dave in kc is offline   Reply With Quote