Knowing the earth - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2015, 07:15 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Knowing the earth

As we travel about I always buy books on the local geology, always wondering how it all happened. Today I came across the following book that may be of interest.

101 American Geo-Sites You've Gotta See (Geology Underfoot): Albert B. Dickas: 9780878425877: Amazon.com: Books

Part of traveling is seeing with new eyes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:20 PM   #2

Name: Marijke
Trailer: Biod X2
Alberta
Registry
Knowing you from your photo here and your wonderful posts only, I'm beginning to hope that some day, browsing a bookstore...................:-) wouldn't it be great to bump into you!
marijke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

Florida
Marijke,

We're great book buyers and will buy for ourselves and any of the nieces and nephews. The rule is if you'll read it I'll buy it.

This week I bought boxed sets of Percy Jackson and the Olympians and The Heroes of Olympus. My niece gave me the first book to glance at and realized how exciting it was for her and actually want to read it myself. Her unbelievable joyous response to getting the first boxed set will forever be part of my life. I saved it and listen to it regularly.

We had a difficult time this week because we took most of the books we own, many hundred, to the library for their book sale, part of our moving process. We have managed to get rid of virtually every item in our home. Ginny has a pad with what goes to whom, a rather interesting list of what makes memories for different people.

We no longer wander book stores unless you consider Amazon to be a bookstore. I love Amazon because when a book is suggested by something I'm reading or in conversation I can look it up almost immediately while it's fresh in my mind.

Right now for me, my reading is geology, climate and alternative earth formation theories.

Hoping to meet you some day...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #4

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Sounds like an interesting book, Norm. We enjoy seeing unusual geologic features as we travel around. Some places that have wowed us have been Yellowstone N. P., Lassen Volcanic N. P., Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument, the Painted Hills in eastern Oregon, and the strange tuffa towers of Mono Lake in CA. We have two neat books about our own region's geology - Roadside Geology of Washington and Roadside Geology of Oregon - that we often take on short trips around our area.

Getting rid of all your books must be tough! Over the years we've wittled down our book collection significantly. Our rule now is that we can only buy books that we know we will look at, read or peruse over and over again. Rarely buy fiction anymore. Being the daughter of a librarian I appreciate the wonderful resources our local libraries can offer! And when we're traveling we pick up cheap paperbacks at garage sales, thrift stores or those "take one, leave one" collections at RV parks.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:47 AM   #5

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Norm, after my first Geology course I made the mistake of driving from Houston, via Texarkana and Nashville, to mid-Indiana in the early 70's. There was no counting the times my wheels hit the edge of the road because I was looking at some interesting (to me!) geologic feature. Decided right then that Geology was my field of choice. I later modified that to Earth Science because I was lead astray by morphology, hydrology, weather (!!!), soils and fossils.

Just sayin', the more you know about our Earth, the easier and easier it is to admire!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #6

Florida
Kathy, We, like you, have a bunch of geology roadside books. They definitely add to the travel. As well I'm a collector of unusual rocks, different to the eye rocks. Ginny says we can take them to FL.

We have a twisting walk way originally populated with white quartz but now mainly populated with rocks from around the country, they stay. Young children are forever picking through them. It's interesting that most adults seem to be oblivious to the interesting stones they're walking on, stones not to be found around here.

Ginny's a big reader of fiction mystery and adventure as well as biographical non-fiction. A lot of that is pickup books. Our Escapee park has a pretty good size 'trade it' library, usually more input than output.

Getting rid of the books was difficult because it was a lot of work, books can be heavy. Actually I didn't feel too bad because we'd read them. When I buy a book I usually read it within a couple of days. Generally if I don't, it won't be read. Some books I read a few times.

Geology has always been interesting to me. I discovered the Continental Drift theory as a young teen and have continually found wonder in geology. It's just amazing that oceans can come and go, that island chains are created, that... it's all a wonder.

There's wonder every where.. this weekend we went to a niece's Confirmation, a nice service where each confirmed child spoke. It was a wonder to consider the concept of confirmation, the effect on the children and their future. How events small and large add up to how we become..

Life is precious..so much to see and learn,,every moment is a challenging joy.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #7

Florida
Mon,

We have two geologists (gold) in the family, that live in Elko, NV, the countries present gold capital, a community worth an extended visit. (The place to stay is a passport park in Welcome, NV. The owners can keep you busy every day with places to visit.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-02-2015, 07:11 AM   #8

Florida
Why books?

I commented that I bought my niece, Kate, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, a five book set. Today I received this from her mother.

"Just heard Kate laughing so hard, so I checked t see what she was watching...the best thing ever, she wasn't watching anything she was reading a book!"

She's on book 5 of the set. Books are like travel. They can take you away, to new places that stretch your mind.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
As we travel about I always buy books on the local geology, always wondering how it all happened. Today I came across the following book that may be of interest.

101 American Geo-Sites You've Gotta See (Geology Underfoot): Albert B. Dickas: 9780878425877: Amazon.com: Books

Part of traveling is seeing with new eyes.
Great tip Norm. Pushed the one click button to buy from a Pennsylvania bookshop. Thanks.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Thanks! Now that one is on my list to get as well.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #11

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Norm i read very thing you write . books not so much
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #12

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
The best bet is to get the "Roadside Geology of XXXXX" (where XXXXX is the state/province your heading for) book for wherever you're traveling. All the books are written by folks with local knowledge. For example, the SD book was written by the (late) head of my department at SD School of Mines. The front bookshelf of the Scamp gets well stocked before each journey with the appropriate books.

The other thing is to look for "Rockhounding in XXXXX". They are chock-a-block full of goodies. Hey, what's an extra half ton in the back of the TV? (Insert reference to Lucy in here!).

When you visit a national or state park, look in the bookshop. If the shop is any good, you'll always be able to pick up some cool books.

The thing about geology is that you are NEVER bored! "Flat" Nebraska? Look at those meandering streams! I love it that The Dot is into geology as much as I am. It's cool to say "Look at that angular unconformity over there!!!!" and have her get excited.

If anyone needs some suggestions for books for where they're going, pop me a line.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Besides all the wonderful books on geology and rock-hounding, of which we have a pretty fair collection as well, I also have a fondness for books about old ghost towns, abandoned mining communities, old logging camps, etc. Pretty much anything historical relating to early settlements. I love "ghost-towning". One of our favorite trips each summer when Brenda gets time off from work at the school district, (I'm retired so I'm always on vacation, ha ha,) is to "trailer up" and head off to the wonderful rock-hounding areas of central Oregon and the opal digging areas of northern Nevada's Virgin Valley. There's also a lot of history in these areas, not only of early settlers, ranchers, prospectors, etc. but also of the many indigenous peoples who inhabited these areas for thousands of years. We find these things very interesting to see and explore.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #14

Florida
The opportunity to extend is part of the basis of good travel. We've added Presidential libraries/homesteads to our list of stops. This month we've been going through everything in our home, accumulated stuff/memories of our 57 years (50 of marriage). Of course there's more stuff from the last 15 of travel. It triggers memories of the places we've been, it has been wonderful.

As to geology, I absolutely love the surface geology of the earth, most recently I've been wondering about the internal geology of the earth and really our solar system. Our Sun has been unusually quiet, no major hurricanes in 10 years, and new discoveries from space continually. It's all interesting and hints (maybe shouts) how little we know. On my way to the end, with the freedom of retirement, I seek more. Retirement can offer wonder every day... to be found in books, the internet and travel and just plain thought.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #15

Colorado
Norm, no wonder you are so attracted to "The Rock". Newfoundland has one of the richest mixes of geology, including the exposed mantel in the Gros Morne N.P. It is that, and how it was all worked over by the glaciers. So much to see.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #16

Florida
Paul,

You are correct. Gros Morne could keep a person busy for years. On the Burin, down by Fortune there are some old, rather unique fossils, a place few visit.

Wilderness and Ecological Reserves| Environment and Conservation

We are so tiny compared to it all, yet we can be aware of it all.

I just read that 420 billion particles pass through every square inch of the earth every second. It just shows that a lot is going on all the time, a lot of it passing right through us and we are unaware....

Reading is about becoming more conscious about everything.

This Sunday I had a conscious moment... I sat in church this Sunday for a niece's Confirmation, part of the service was a group confession.

It reminded me of my youth and the post confession punishment of lengthy prayers. I wondered if it might have been better to confess the good we did and be praised for good than punished for bad, wondering if living in joy might be better than living in fear.

The number for the day.... 430 billion neutrinos pass through every square inch of our bodies every second...

Paul, speaking of glaciers in NL reminds me of the hanging valleys in the Long Range Mountains, shortly after the getting off the boat in Port aux Basque.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #17

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Norm, you to to check out Airstream Forums - Powered by vBulletin and go to the Boondocking section and read some of Ray Ecklund's stuff. He seems to be a real "rockhound". He is a interesting read.
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #18

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
East Coast Geology, etc

Hi Norm and All,

The internal geology events in Hawaii and other places have gotten much attention lately, but I'm always impressed by the local and regional "close to the surface" geology. Sometimes, even when I'm digging a fencepost, I hit a layer that I have to try to figure out "how it got there"!? Once in while all that built-up memory of old National Geographic articles helps me figure it out.

(Oh-- I have almost all Nat. Geo's from 1964 to present that I probably should sell, donate, or give away)

There's been a few coastal lighthouses (Cape Hatteras NC, Hunting Island, SC, & others) that have had to be moved inland, and the 1900 era tower foundations at the Marconi site on Cape Cod have mostly fell off the escarpment to the beach or in the water. Cape Cod, the Outer Banks, much of the Eastern Shore of VA, and probably much of the East Coast in general continues to slowly move farther west.

At some places in Eastern North Carolina, there are shoreline layers exposed that were once the insides of outer coastline and inner coastal islands. And, mostly in inner waters, some islands continue to wash away, where at others sand and land gets added.

Recent hurricanes and storms have opened and closed inlets along the Outer Banks, especially in the southern portion. The bridge at Oregon Inlet (NC Rt 12) has been closed off and on, and is in serious danger because the inlet continues to move south. At the north end, about 1/2 mile of bridge is now over land instead of water, and at the south end, all sorts of repairs continue to be made so that the bridge approach doesn't fail.

Thanks to glaciers maybe 10,000 or more years ago, we have a good sized gravel deposit part way down our hillside here in southern New England. It's great for fill, for our septic tank & leachfield, and it's the only flat area on our property, so it really benefits having a friend over that has an RV. So there's the FGRV to Geology connection-ha!

The rest of the property is rock. And that's interesting too. Lots of cool bedrock granite sticking out of the ground. But, Man, it's tough to have a lawn here. For lawnmowers, I'm on RockChopper3. RockChoppers 1 and 2 really went thru the (geologic) mill. They are both retired. I should have a museum of mower blades and the shapes they can be bent into.

I can't wait to go out to Southern California in a year or 2 when we get some time off. My son & family bought an almost 100 year old cabin in the National Forest and it's less than 1000 feet from the San Andreas fault!. That's gotta be an interesting geological place.

This past winter, due to a family death, we had to turn around just before we went into Big Bend Nat. Park. We could see the mountains on approach. Hope to re-do and take a look at the geological makeup of that area sometime in the future (with the EggCamper).

And, Norm and Paul, Now you've got me interested in Newfoundland too........What to do?

Geology (even when it sticks up in your lawn) sure is interesting!

Mark
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #19

Colorado
Speaking of mowing rocks - many years ago (late '70s) my boss who moved to MA from CA told me how many rocks he used to have in his lawn, and he had to keep raking and removing them. We discussed the possible causes of rocks and grass growing side by side in California, both aware that a lot of stranger things happen in California. I suggested that the micro earthquakes, that are frequent, cause the small rocks to move up through the mixture, a little bit at a time. Every once in a while I wonder if there is a better explanation. Thanks for reminding me.

From Massachusetts you can travel a long way "down east" and beyond. The ferry is expensive, but it is worth it. Unless you drive across Labrador - another world to discover there.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #20

Florida
They're digging up our streets to install new gas lines giving me a peek into the soil, mostly rocks, below our grass. Our home is 17 feet above sea level making it the highest spot in our neighborhood. We and our two abutting neighbors are the only ones who never have had water in our cellar, valuable during tropical storm Sandy.

Interesting we're on a mixture of gravel, sand and stones, all ocean rounded stones, definitely good for drainage. None of the stones work their way to the surface to bother our electric lawnmower. Of course most people I know own a lawnmower, though it doesn't seem to be the case in Newfoundland though that's probably changing as well.

Paul, We've traveled about as far 'down east' as one can travel by car, out to Newfoundland's Cape Spear Lighthouse. I hope the house sells relatively quickly..I'd like to steal away before we head south. Tonight the weatherman's predicted Boston will break the low temperature record set in 1881 for June 3rd, still chilly here.

One of the first geological/historical sites in Newfoundland was a soapstone cliff where Native Americans carved soapstone bowls out of the cliff face. Partially completed bowls can still be seen in the face.

I also get a lot of pleasure out of end of the road trips, little villages of 50-200 people where everyone knows everyone, little houses clustered around a long harbor, maybe one little store, a post office, home gardens and many cords of firewood stacked for the winter.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16