KOA CEO Undercover Boss Friday - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #21

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we've stayed in a few KOAs over the years...and have no complaints except for one. we were booking in to one of the ones in daytona beach (not the one near the flea market) and the lady told me "you'll save money on this stay by renewing your membership"...so i did, to the tune of $23 (at that time). then she proceeded to tell me, once i'd paid for it, that this same week, canadians were being offered a discount and the price was dropping to $15/nightly....no membership needed!
that park was very nice, very well kept and we enjoyed our stay.
the KOA in quebec city as well as the one in niagara falls, ont, are also both nice, clean and well-run.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #22

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
OK, the Undercover Boss came across as a dork. Not the kind of guy that is going to lead, innovate and motivate.

The theme that most of the Undercover Boss shows have is that the boss is out of touch with operations.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
isn't that true everywhere, both in government and private industry? It is a fact of life!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #24

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
On most of the episodes I've watched, the "boss" seems to be some egotist who just wants to see themselves on TV. Seriously if your manager brought someone to you and told you they needed to follow you around for awhile because of some "contest" wouldn't that set off a bit of hmmmmmmmmmmm!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #25

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
On most of the episodes I've watched, the "boss" seems to be some egotist who just wants to see themselves on TV. Seriously if your manager brought someone to you and told you they needed to follow you around for awhile because of some "contest" wouldn't that set off a bit of hmmmmmmmmmmm!
Yes, and I think there must be some pre-interviews by the production company to find interesting employees. I'm sure an introvert or quiet person doesn't get picked.

Did they really give 50,000 to the woman for her education. Did I hear that correctly? And, did she then leave in a few weeks to open up a spa? I wonder if she got the $.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #26

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Non of it, is believable. All TV hype in my book. I gave up on KOA's more than 20 years ago.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextersp1 View Post
Did they really give 50,000 to the woman for her education. Did I hear that correctly? And, did she then leave in a few weeks to open up a spa? I wonder if she got the $.
LOL I burst out laughing when I read that she opened her own spa with the money. What did he expect she would do with it! Good on her! If he had any management skills at all and wanted to keep her as an employee he would have give the money to her with a contract of some sort so she stayed for at least a couple of years.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #28

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
This just what I expected ,they only showed the better ? ones well like Kathy said only if you haft to ., way over priced for what you get . last year it cost $350. for 4 days in South Carolina
Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #29

Pennsylvania
Registry
$85/day seems unreasonable, did you question and is that the advertised on line price. I know some KOA's have premium patio sites with bar-b-que set ups.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
$85/day seems unreasonable.
Yup it is unreasonable especially if one cant expect a hot shower for that price, which was my experience. The prices KOA charges on the west coast are often high compared to prices they charge further inland. Their prices also go up in relationship to how close they are to a big tourist attraction.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #31

Pennsylvania
Registry
But South Carolina for $85/day?????
Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
How does KOA pricing work. Is is set by the individual campground owner, and they just pay a fixed or percentage fee to KOA for being part of their system?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #33

Pennsylvania
Registry
I have a feeling their prices are set by headquarters/franchise agreement. If you go to any KOA website, their prices are shown, normally $45-55 for a campsite. If you belong to KOA there is a 10% discount and after 5 days you get one free.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #34

Registry
Quote:
I have a feeling their prices are set by headquarters/franchise agreement. If you go to any KOA website, their prices are shown, normally $45-55 for a campsite. If you belong to KOA there is a 10% discount and after 5 days you get one free.
Some of the ones I have stayed at also have what they call a "Resort" fee of $6 a night on top of their camping fees.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #35

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, those located in the high rent areas like disneyland/disneyworld locales. Some locales charge this fee no matter if you are in a KOA or a hotel, denoted as amusement tax or recreation tax. You should know before hand if this is the case. I remember a long time ago making reservations using my AAA handbook, which use to guarantee the rate quoted in their travel books.. Calling a place in Sturgis, SD and getting a price that was 5 times the book rate was. I was told, that 51 weeks out of the year it was the written amount $40/night, but one week they charge the higher $200 amount. You live and learn. That was the year I learned about the KOA in the BADLANDS NP. Although it was 90 miles away, their cabin rates were $25/night. My first KOA experience and one of my favorite locations.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
How does KOA pricing work. Is is set by the individual campground owner, and they just pay a fixed or percentage fee to KOA for being part of their system?
According to their website"Ongoing franchise fees include an 8 percent royalty, and a 2 percent advertising fee used for marketing programs which add to the recognition and success of KOA campgrounds. KOA franchise fees are based solely on site registration revenue"

Their website also indicates that they have a computer system Campground Management system which they say "KampSight’s rate management capabilities and KOA support also provide a streamlined process that ensures you receive the price you deserve for your services. Why? Because offering the right price, for the right site, at the right time, to the right camping guest is an effective way to increase your camping revenue without adding a single additional camper"

Sounds like they have a computer system that sets the rates but no indication if they can disagree with it, but I suspect they can.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Yes, those located in the high rent areas like disneyland/disneyworld locales. .
LOL had never really though of little Astoria Oregon in context to Disneyland before.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #38

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Thanks for the link and confirmation, Carol. Kinda figured it worked something like that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #39

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We are willing to pay for comfort, and KOAs are still cheaper than hotel rooms. If one is dirty, I won't return, but our experience with KOAs has been positive.

Hotels do the same thing. If you stay at a hotel in a tourist location, you pay a lot for them too.

Didn't the show say that the CEO worked his way up through the system? Maybe he was offering the manager who got the money for schooling a chance to do the same, since she had come from a difficult background.
My guess is that the skin spa gives KOA guests a discount .

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #40

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I bought my campers so that I could have low costs when staying overnight/traveling. I can get into a motel 6 for cheaper than a lot of the KOA's, plus I am spending more on gasoline and wear and tear on my car to haul my camper.
I am not about to pay those high camping fees for a small hunk of land just big enough to park my camper on overnight. Nor will I pay $100 or more a night to get a motel and warm the bed overnight and hit the road again.
No bed bugs in my camper, and I have my own personal belongings. I haul my camper so I can have my own place. However I do not like paying the big bucks to haul my camper to a fancy high priced resort campground. Maybe if having kids I would consider Yogi Bear campground, or a KOA, but for now being retired, I need the basics at a low price just so I can travel just a bit. Therefor I have avoided all KOA's because of their high costs when traveling.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote