La Crosse WI to Niagara Falls route - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp 13
California
La Crosse WI to Niagara Falls route

Google maps suggests I-90 which has toll roads. Does anyone know the approx cost of the tolls? Is there a better route option? Plan on stopping overnight 1 or 2 times. Thanks in advance of your help.
Tom
nofieldfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:18 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Maybe go north instead though the UP and Canada (2.5 hours longer). Maybe spend a few extra nights enjoying the trip. Or if you are in a hurry maybe one of the Lake Michigan ferrys. Anything to avoid Chicago IMHO.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Are you able to travel part of the way in Canada (from Detroit east)? That would save toll road charges in Indiana, Ohio, and PA. You can also take I-90 from La Crosse to Madison and then I-94 to Milwaukee and down to Chicago save on tolls. There are no tolls going straight through Chicago but that drive can be awful at times. I-294 around Chicago has tolls.

Overall, I-94 has the fewest tolls from La Crosse to Detroit. As to the total charge...I'm guilty of not really thinking about it since we have an I-Pass (EZ-Pass) with automatic recharge. I do know it cost us about $150 total round trip in tolls from near Rockford, IL, to western NJ earlier this summer using toll roads as the fastest way.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #4

A quick check of the price for using the ferry from Manitowoc, WI would be $72 per adult plus $72 for the tow vehicle plus $91 for a 13' trailer. $235 total one way for one adult. That would cover a lot of tolls or an extra night or two on the road going the longer route.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #5

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
In my navigation unit the options "avoid Interstates" and "avoid tolls" are almost always turned on. I prefer to travel on US highways. You'll see much more than taking Interstates.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Being a Canadian, I like the route north to the UP, Sault Ste Marie, cross into Ontario then east and south to Niagara.
The best views of the falls are on the Canadian side.
Plus, the exchange rate on the dollar is a big advantage,
Negative, gas prices are higher.
Or, for a shorter trip, take the Mackinac bridge to lower Michigan, and cross into Canada at Port Huron.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofieldfive View Post
Google maps suggests I-90 which has toll roads. Does anyone know the approx cost of the tolls? Is there a better route option? Plan on stopping overnight 1 or 2 times. Thanks in advance of your help.
Tom
We took Hwy 20 across Indiana and all the way into New York. It is slower but a pretty drive and there are some decent campgrounds on it. There's one in Howe, Indiana we've stayed in twice. It's quiet and in a rural area. We also stopped at the RV Museum in Elkhart, Indiana. It's well worth the price and time. If you get there after closing time (we pulled in about 8PM one night) or are there and ready to leave about closing time you can spend the night in their parking lot for free. We've done that 3 times. If there after closing time then you can see the museum as soon as it opens the next morning. It is along I-90 and you can see the traffic on the toll road from the museum. If you see that you'll be happy you took Hwy 20. We left from Fon Du Lac, WI and went around Chicago the best we could. Traffic was bad in Chicago area but we hit it around rush hour.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Thanks to everyone for your input. We decided on the UP/Canada.
nofieldfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #9

Have fun!
Old 09-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #10

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I agree with Sergey. Avoid tolls and see the sites! Also that Canadian cross country route is awesome as well.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I agree with Sergey. Avoid tolls and see the sites! Also that Canadian cross country route is awesome as well.

Frank
Thats all fine and good if Tom has the time for that.. but he implied that he does not..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofieldfive View Post
...Plan on stopping overnight 1 or 2 times. ..
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #12

Name: Richard
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
It's been six years since I took the toll route through the outskirts of Chicago so my information may not be up to date. I remember there being a lot of toll booths, each charging very small amounts -- a dollar or two. It was an incredibly annoying and stressful drive, but it wasn't expensive.

If you have an extra day though, and want to try the scenic route, I recommend the Upper Peninsula route, but with a twist. From Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, drive east on Highway 17 in the direction of Sudbury. But turn south on Highway 6 near Espanola and drive onto Manitoulin Island.

You'll take a ferry from South Baymouth to Tobermory on the Bruce Peninsula. Then continue south on Highway 6 to Hamilton, from where it's a short drive to Niagara Falls. The ferry costs close to $100 CAD or $75 USD for two passengers, tow vehicle and trailer, but this depends on length.

Highway 6 roughly follows the Niagara Escarpment, limestone cliffs and hills -- the same geological formation that results in Niagara Falls. It's a scenic trip through rural Ontario and old towns from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Much, much nicer than driving on the interstate!
Richard McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall