Layoffs in the RV Industry - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #21

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Bartering and workamping are an excellent way to ride out the economy..or to spend the rest of your life if you choose.

I have been doing this for over 3 years now and have learned very quickly that the $$$$ # on your paycheck is only part of the equation for making ends meet. Its not what you make, its what you don't spend.

I have not paid rent for most of those 3 years. Part of my work "Compensation Package", even at the motorhome dealer, includes a place to park my rig. Obviously, when I am camphosting, I get my site for free and a stipend for utilities..non taxable all the way around. I also get a full time wage.

At the motorhome dealer I work at in the winter, I live onsite and get a salary/wage ta boot.. full time. I am not going to get rich, no. But I eat daily, am warm, clean and I have a roof over my head. My living "space" is comfortable and private.

We are seeing an increase in the qty of "Luxury" units that are a few years old, but have virtually no miles on them. There are many reasons for this, but the most common is "We can't afford to go anywhere" with consignment units. The second most common is folks trying to short sell..just like is so common in the housing market now.

An RV loan in the case of the mega monsters are truly mortgages, and these days, keeping the second "house" is just not on the top of most folks lists.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
My wife and I just came back from the Portland RV show, it was interesting…… I have not seen in long time so many opened slideouts at once. The show was an amazing set of controversies especially in light of current fuel prices:
- Living light, Lance, Aliner, Airstream Bambi were the small trailers.
- No fiberglass trailers I assume because of cost but Aliner was there.
- Very big fifth wheel with 3 pullouts with 3 sided windows, fire place, ceiling fans, 2 air conditionings, generator, cabinets with etched glass, and many other utilities all new for $45-$65K depending on the brand.
- 11K lb. Sprinter conversions were from $100K to $135 for Airstream conversion. I asked Airstream folks, if Mercedes Van cost $45K what is there for $90K. The Airstream’s rep said that chassis roof modification is very expensive; they have to cut out factory roof and add their own steel roof, when I confronted that with the knowledge that high roofs come that way from the Mercedes factory he switched the topic heading deeper into another truth twister.

Our overall experience was very negative. The ratio of the whopping RVs to small vehicles was overwhelmingly high, likely in the high ninety percent range. Turning this US RV industry from huge to small will take many years. Will take many layoffs before this industry will revamp but I believe it will.

We both did not see anything which could light up our fire, including Sprinters’ conversions with 6” road clearance at best with prices way above out threshold.
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What makes me weep, isn't just the employees of a singular corporation, but all the small companies that offer support. Coburg, Oregon is a very small town with no real manufacturing, but lots of small businesses (Mom and Pops) that support the RV industry. When one major manufacturer goes out of business.. if affects so much more than just one business. Sigh.

On edit: here's one such business.. they make fitted sheets for a Casita "The business is Interior Creations (pretty snazzy for a Casita accessory place, don't you think?), located in Junction City, Oregon. Phone 541-998-6623. They have the template that John made, on file. "

Junction City is within minutes of Eugene, OR: http://www.interiorcoachcreations.co..._products.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
Bartering and workamping are an excellent way to ride out the economy..or to spend the rest of your life if you choose.

I have been doing this for over 3 years now and have learned very quickly that the $$$$ # on your paycheck is only part of the equation for making ends meet. Its not what you make, its what you don't spend.

I have not paid rent for most of those 3 years. Part of my work "Compensation Package", even at the motorhome dealer, includes a place to park my rig. Obviously, when I am camphosting, I get my site for free and a stipend for utilities..non taxable all the way around. I also get a full time wage.

At the motorhome dealer I work at in the winter, I live onsite and get a salary/wage ta boot.. full time. I am not going to get rich, no. But I eat daily, am warm, clean and I have a roof over my head. My living "space" is comfortable and private.

We are seeing an increase in the qty of "Luxury" units that are a few years old, but have virtually no miles on them. There are many reasons for this, but the most common is "We can't afford to go anywhere" with consignment units. The second most common is folks trying to short sell..just like is so common in the housing market now.

An RV loan in the case of the mega monsters are truly mortgages, and these days, keeping the second "house" is just not on the top of most folks lists.
Gina, what sort of work do you perform for these dealerships? (If you don't mind the question)
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote