Leaning toward Lil Snoozy but new twist - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
Leaning toward Lil Snoozy but new twist

Based on the pictures that Melissa posted I was leaning heavily toward the Lil Snoozy for my new digs. Then a couple twists came into play. I traded my small SUV in on a GMC Sierra 1500. Now I'm thinking the Scamp 19' might be a good fit. I like that the bed is out of the living area and can be partitioned off with a curtain.

The second twist was based on the pictures of the Lil Snoozy on their website. I'm not realy crazy about where the air conditioner is hanging. It looks quite ugly AND I can just see me hitting my head on it every time I walk in or out.

Anyone here have a Scamp 19'? Why did you choose it over say a 16'? Is it worth the extra space and price? How has it affected your gas mileage?

Getting real close to needing to make a decision. Heading to Wyoming in a couple weeks, then across to Pennsylvania and then I need to find my home. I'll be full timing so it needs to be the right decision.

Thanks for your help.
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Personally, I would go with the 19ft'er, if your planning on fulltiming. As well as Lil Snoozy isn't a proven product (don't slam me, just my opinion as well as a fact!)

The Scamp is a proven product that your re-sale is pretty much a given. I am not a huge Scamp fan (just a few things I don't care for) But that being said it's a proven product with thousands of them on the road. The 5'er would be far more spacious for a full time situation. Best of luck in your new adventure!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: nikljones...The 5th certainly has my vote and for your reason. The separate bed area. I liked the Escape over the Scamp even tho they're more bucks...but they can't build 'em fast enough... tho I'd not want a fast built trailer!!!
Towing's towing and gas mileage will be affected but only slightly. We got 17-18 MPG(Imp. Gal) with our Sierra and 5.0.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
new combo.jpg   Buffalo shuffle.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
I agree with the above suggestions; 19' 5'er. Since you're fulltiming, bigger will be better. Whatever minor difference in fuel economy will be worth it. I also agree with going with a proven product over one just going into production. Things like service, parts availability etc. are important. Your new GMC Sierra 1500 is a proven product. Would you have purchased a vehicle from a new manufacturer just going into production to start your fulltiming venture?
I like what I have seen of the Lil Snoozy. They are continuing to make adjustments, including parts sourcing, which suggests THEY are not yet satisfied they have the ideal product yet.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
No matter which you choose, if you're looking to buy used... it can take some time to find that perfect trailer at a price you want to pay. If buying new, you'll need to make that decision quickly and get on the build list. These trailers aren't like stickies where you can find one on most any corner.

I vote for the Escape 5th wheel
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
For what it's worth, this is on the Scamp web page now.

Trailers in stock for immediate pickup.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Based on what you have said previously about how much you are going to be traveling with your new trailer for what its worth my vote is with the Escape as well - the 17', 19' and 05 all give you the option of leaving a bed down and still having a place to eat.

In case you are unaware there is no duty charged due to the Free Trade Agreement between the USA and Canada should you purchase in Canada. The process for importing a trailer either way is pretty simple - have done it from the US to Canada with both a trailer and a car and would do it again in a flash if I saw something I wanted :-) I see on the Escape form there is currently a 17' for sale. For Sale, Trade or Barter

I really dont know a lot about Lil Snooze and have only looked at the photos and the standard equipment list. Based on only that I think though as a current 16' Scamp owner I would miss greatly a number of things that are on mine and are standard on the Escape's. From what I can see on the web site of Lil Snooze the basic propane set up is not standard, nor is a stove and I cant see any inclosed place to hang up clothings, small standard hot water tank (hard to get a shower with 4 gallons), 3 way fidge is optional but standard on the Escape. The porta potty and no black water on LiL Snooze would not make me a happy camper ( have done that in the past and would much prefer to deal with a black water tank than a porta of any kind). Due to the lines of Lil Snooze I suspect the awning may not be very long length wise giving you less covered usable space - dont know that for a fact as they dont have the awning sizes on the site as yet. As stated this is just MHO and based only on what I can see in the photos etc.

I am not knocking Lil Snooze as I am sure it is a nice trailer and it would suite a lot of users just fine but it just would not be my personal choose
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #8

Name: Nicholas
Trailer: LiL Snoozy
South Carolina
This is the amazing thing about this forum, people don't mind giving an opinion. True honesty is difficult to find in this Politically Correct world we live in. Robin G gave her opinion that she would be hesitant because our unproven track record. I'm not first to agree with you Robin, but I do agree entirely. In my personal life I am reluctant to pull the trigger on a new company. That is our reasons for being on this site and doing all of the proto-typing. I understand that we are the new kid in the play ground and it takes years to earn the respect and reputation for quality that the other manufactures have.
Barrie,
You are correct. We are making adjustments and changes. We will always be making changes. Ten years from now we will still be making changes. We will always find a better way. Technology and taste change with every year. It is only logical that a manufacture continues to listen to its customers, and make adjustments as needed.

Nick,
If I where going to buy a fifth wheel, my choice would be the Escape 5.0. It is a more elegant design (just my opinion)
You mentioned that the Scamps bed is separated by a curtain, and that was one of your concerns with the Snoozy? The Snoozy's bed is not raised like the bed in the Scamp but we do have heavy curtains separating the bed from the rest of the cabin.
Revisiting what Barrie was saying: I actually have a small scar on my head from the first A/C in a Lil Snoozy. The reason it wasn't changed in the second one is because the hole was cut just prior to my collision. The newer models have the placement of the A/C tweaked. Its placement is about 5 inches higher, out towards the curb 4 inches and recessed an inch and half. Now even someone over 6 feet would have to TRY to hit there head. A company just down the road from us is building a Vacuformed plastic cover with louvers, similar to a roof mount A/C, to improve the aesthetics.
As for availability of parts, that is one thing about the Snoozy that (in my opinion) is very nice. Short of the items that have to be custom built (IE the outer shell, cabinets, frame etc) Our components can either be found at your local Lowe's, Camping World, or West Marine. For example, the A/C unit can be bought at Lowe's for under $100. If you are on a trip and the A/C dies, run to the store and grab another one. Any one with some handy person skills can put it in. If your close to us, drop by and we will put it in. The water pump is a Shurflo Revolution, the plumbing is 1/2 in CPVC.

Thanks Ya'll
Nicholas
LiL Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #9

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We lived in our 19' 5th wheel quite nicely last and there is a good chance he will be living in it again. The hitch is very simple and cab be taken out easily. You might want the larger shower. If you get the larger shower there will be steps and even more privacy.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #10

Texas
Thank you all for you replies. Much to consider. At this point I haven't ruled out any brand.

I appreciate your response Nicholas and still want to drop down to SC once I get to PA toward the end of June. I noted the change in placement of the AC unit and if there is going to be nice looking shrouds around it then that will remove the ugly factor though it will still look strange hanging out the backend as it does. Kind of detracts from the smooth lines. I believe I saw in your options that you have propane available and while I don't recall seeing it on the option list I'm assuming a range along with the heater I did see. By the way, having a curtain separating the bed area from the rest of the area is minor and can easily be added. I think what I really meant to say was the separate bed area is a nice feature to separate the bed from the rest of the living area.

I've kind of stayed away from the Escape because of it's price. By the time I add the options I'd want it would be over 30K. A tad bit rich for my blood. I do like it's overall design however.

I still like the concept of the 5th wheel and will probably continue to pursue the Scamp. I actually have a lead on a used one that looks well maintained and has most, if not all, of the options I'd want. That might work real well for me if the price is right and I can get everything together fast enough. My problem, I'm still in CA until mid-June.

I might just add that I will be a solo traveler, which doesn't make any difference, but that means personally I could live full time in a 13'er but why if you can afford to have a little more room.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Snoozy View Post
This is the amazing thing about this forum, people don't mind giving an opinion. True honesty is difficult to find in this Politically Correct world we live in. Robin G gave her opinion that she would be hesitant because our unproven track record. I'm not first to agree with you Robin, but I do agree entirely. In my personal life I am reluctant to pull the trigger on a new company. That is our reasons for being on this site and doing all of the proto-typing. I understand that we are the new kid in the play ground and it takes years to earn the respect and reputation for quality that the other manufactures have.

Thanks Ya'll
Nicholas

Nicholas, I certainly am not saying you won't get there. But you don't even have the product out in the market. And until there is one on the road I will maintain my caution to recommend a product that isn't even out there. As well as, from what I have gathered your product isn't truly being made for the full timing market. So having been an owner of a rv resort that catered to full timers, a lil Snoozy would most likely never be recommended to someone for full time living situation. I am a firm believer in selling someone the correct product for their needs, rather than the car sales man approach. Just my motto for any endeavour I have taken on.

I wish you luck in your endeavor and understand that your trying to get your product on the market (life gets in the way) but as soon as they are rolling around you will hopefully will find the nitch that it fits into. Robin G
Old 05-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hey Nicholas,
Why not try to attend some of the rally's on the East Coast with your product this summer. I realize you are in production, but most are on weekends and several are within a days drive from NC up to Pa. I think seeing one in person or getting some out in the market would really eliminate some if not all of the hesitancy expressed here.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita
Nick,
If you're considering the Scamp fifth wheel, make sure it fits you. When we were shopping for one a few years ago, the website implied the bed was much longer than it actually is.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #14

Texas
Thanks for the heads up Marv. I'm just average build (well height wise) and it's just me so I'm sure the bed will fit just fine. I do hope to be able to actually see one before I order even if I have to go Minnesota to do so.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #15

Nick, Many manufactures actually have a program with their customers where the customer allows potential buyers to see the rig in person. The manufacture compensates the rig owner. Just call the manufacture your interested in and ask if they have a owner in your area. They will hook you up with owners in your area.

Or you can be like so many people I come across on the open road. They just ask to see inside. I have been followed (stalked) by many potential lookie lou......

I know when I was in the search mode, I walked up to peoples door if they had a egg parked in there driveway. Of course I was looking to buy but you could explain your looking to buy and you never know they may be looking to sell. Or at the very least you might get a peak in........... Good luck!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
How to get a track record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikljones View Post
Based on the pictures that Melissa posted I was leaning heavily toward the Lil Snoozy for my new digs. Then a couple twists came into play.
Getting real close to needing to make a decision. Heading to Wyoming in a couple weeks, then across to Pennsylvania and then I need to find my home. I'll be full timing so it needs to be the right decision.
Thanks for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Snoozy View Post
Robin G gave her opinion that she would be hesitant because our unproven track record. I'm not first to agree with you Robin, but I do agree entirely. I understand that we are the new kid in the play ground and it takes years to earn the respect and reputation for quality that the other manufactures have.
Nicholas
Does anybody besides me think that this is a match made in Trailer Heaven?
Lil Snoozy needs an actual user to tell us about this new trailer, and Nick is about to become available to take one on the road!
You guys even have the same NAMES, for crying out loud.
Snoozy Nick can't post promo info here forever, since he's a manufacturer, not an owner like the rest of us!
He needs somebody to take this baby on the road and report back.
Why not give one (temporarily- 6 months, say) to Nick Jones to "road review"?
Maybe he'd even do a blog or something. What great publicity, and a way to get the trailer "out there"!
Making a track record has to start somewhere-why not right here?
Think about it, guys!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #17

Texas
Actually this doesn't sound like a bad idea Francesca. I have plans to travel throughout the mid-west, east coast and through the south into Florida in the July-Dec time frame. It certainly would give a good work out and get it out in front of people. I would gladly attend any rallies and open it up for all to see. Stock me with literature and I'll pass it out to anybody with even the slightest interest. The plus for me would be to confirm in my own mind that it would meet my long term needs.

Oh and the blog. Excellent idea and I would gladly do that and having a link from the Lil Snoozy site and of course FGRV would lend credence to the brand. I'm not a stranger or afraid to use the internet for for promotion.

I'm open if you're interested Nicholas. If not I'm still interested and intrigued by the product you've brought to market.

Nick Jones
Old 05-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #18

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Nick, Many manufactures actually have a program with their customers where the customer allows potential buyers to see the rig in person. The manufacture compensates the rig owner. Just call the manufacture your interested in and ask if they have a owner in your area. They will hook you up with owners in your area.

.......... Good luck!
Thank you Robin. I plan to contact Scamp on Tuesday to pursue this very avenue.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #19

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikljones View Post
Actually this doesn't sound like a bad idea Francesca. I have plans to travel throughout the mid-west, east coast and through the south into Florida in the July-Dec time frame. It certainly would give a good work out and get it out in front of people. I would gladly attend any rallies and open it up for all to see. Stock me with literature and I'll pass it out to anybody with even the slightest interest. The plus for me would be to confirm in my own mind that it would meet my long term needs.

Oh and the blog. Excellent idea and I would gladly do that and having a link from the Lil Snoozy site and of course FGRV would lend credence to the brand. I'm not a stranger or afraid to use the internet for for promotion.

I'm open if you're interested Nicholas. If not I'm still interested and intrigued by the product you've brought to market.

Nick Jones
Hear that, Snoozy Nick?
Here's a volunteer with his own TV who's willing to take the little girl on the road for all to see. You'll have a user posting his experience and suggestions here for potential buyers...
He looks and sounds real respectable, too.
!I'll bet he's even got insurance!
Oscar Meyer Weinermobile, stand aside for Team Snoozy!
And all you have to provide is the trailer...best bang for the 100% deductible advertising buck you'll ever come across
PLUS- there're enough folks in this forum who'd like to see the trailer- we might even be able to put together some kind of hosting network...
Oh.

And of course we all want to meet you, too, Nick J
If it comes together and you make it a-l-l-l-l the way to Hadlock, Washington, you're welcome to camp down by my pond!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Does anybody besides me think that this is a match made in Trailer Heaven?

Think about it, guys!

Francesca

Hmmmmm, they need to start somewhere and that sounds like a good place to start.

« our view | Play Pac »