Learned something new today - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Learned something new today

This am I had a flat tire and another going flat both slow leaks I took the car to sams to get fixed. Both tires to them were non-repairable they had punctures of some sort in the sidewalls.

These tires were Goodyear which I have always bought but I have noticed they don't hold up on gravel very well. They did honor their warranty I got 1 free had to pay for another essentially!

Here is the strangest thing the guy said you drive on gravel right? I told him we did about 2m each way. He took down a Goodyear and a Perrilli and said watch this!

The Goodyear while standing up you could press it down real easlly the Perrilli took a lot of pressing. He said do you know why of course I had no idea!

Goodyear tires are built for ride and Pirrellis are built for a sportier ride but you get more wear out the Perrillis.

Just a heads up I don't know for sure if this true or not but the next time in Sams check it out. Makes a lot of sense to me and seems to me the Perrillis would have a sturdier build for towing!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I have had great success running Michelin Defenders. I just replaced a set on my tow vehicle that went 77K miles without a flat or any other issue. They still had an evenly worn 3/32" left, so I was tempted to push it to 80K, but we had a trip planned with the Scamp. Needless to say I put on another set of the same.

It's my 5th set of Michelins and I have been completely satisfied with every one. Quiet ride, outstanding treadwear, and acceptable handling (a Pilot ain't no sports car and I ain't no race car driver). Some gravel, less than 5% of miles driven, but includes our 150 yd. driveway.

As they say, YMMV.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I live at the end of a 2 mile long gravel road. I run Hercules tires on my trailer based on input of a relative who is a long haul trucker and my searching for complaints on the internet led to few complaints.

Did have a puncture flat with the OEM Marathons and was advised that sharp rocks on a gravel road could be considered a "road hazard."

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
+ 2 on the Hurcules tires.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A friend had brand new ST radials on his enclosed trailer which he used to carry his golf cart, As he drove his motorhome to the dump station on a gravel drive, a single piece of gravel punctured one of the trailer tires mid-tread leaving a 3/8" hole and destroying the tire!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #6

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
sidewalls...

all tires have ply ratings for the thread AND the sidewall...although you have to dig a little deeper in the literature usually to find the sidewall rating....

it's not the gravel that is the problem it's the roughness of the road (flexing sidewalls)....2 ply sidewalls make for a real comfortable ride on pavement, they put them on new cars and trucks so your test drive will impress

depending on tire size 2,4,6 and even 8 are available...2s are EVERYWHERE on the shelf.....8s are scarce, special application type stuff

I bought a new Explorer once with the infamous Firestone tires they came with....I drove gravel roads every day, most of the day. After a month of constant flats I switched to 4 or 6 ply (I forget) Yokohamas and never had a problem....About four years later I got a letter from Ford about the recall (roll-overs that turned out to be mostly in the hot, sunny southern US).....sidewall ply ratings matter
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
How unlucky.
I got my letter for the Firestone recall while I still had them. Got five new Yokohama LT tires. Paid a small premium to upgrade to LT and the dealer had to fudge the invoice because Ford would only put P tires on as replacement.
As the Yokohamas neared their end of life, the road noise was deafening. Replaced with Michelin and was surprised that I could hear the engine on acceleration.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How unlucky.
I got my letter for the Firestone recall while I still had them. Got five new Yokohama LT tires. Paid a small premium to upgrade to LT and the dealer had to fudge the invoice because Ford would only put P tires on as replacement.
As the Yokohamas neared their end of life, the road noise was deafening. Replaced with Michelin and was surprised that I could hear the engine on acceleration.
Nothing about choosing tires is this simple.

I pretty much only buy Firestone and have since before the recall "scandal" about the the blowouts and I also had several Troopers which were the accused vehicle in those incidents.

Consumer Reports?
Not for me!
In my direct experience,fake news reported out of context to provide some unknown advantage to other tire companies for long since forgotten and ignored reasons.

There is a lot more to tire choosing than this feature and lots of "snake oil" or worse in marketing tires too.
Pirelli in my experience and reading is even widely considered to be one of the worst wearing brands on the road often trading performance for longevity which is fine as long as you know what you are getting going in.

So drive and tow on whatever you like but never stop trying to understand Tire Folklore and keep finding better alternatives.

I try to get Bridgestone Revo on my trucks and have 4 on the road right now and these Revo' have let me get around freakishly well even without 4wd in winter,no slipping in rain and amazing wear and comfort all around.
I just stuck a set on the newest Tundra with the 5.8l engine and before these could not avoid spinning tires almost ever from a stop!

Michelen on the other hand do wear a long time but also ride the best only for a short time at first at least for me while still being the priciest brand in general too.

But great tires are rarely cheap tires and we each need to decide for ourselves which we prefer,I prefer Firestone.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #9

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
good one ED...

good tires are rarely cheap....and it seems the industry goes out of it way to confuse.....

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=55

(my earlier numbers might have been little off, the old memory ain't what it used to be... but the importance of sidewall construction is very real...in my mind anyways)
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #10

Missouri
tires

Well I am going to watch these tires closely I used to drive 60k a year the best tires I found were Generals once had a set that went 100k. They were on so long I had a flat and the rim had rusted to the drum had to have someone come and knock it off.

I had a set of Goodyears on the wife couger one time only went 30k the tread was completely gone. I threw a fit but Sams pointed out on the back of their invoice they only warranty their tires for 5 years.

These Goodyears were on the car a little over 4 years so I lucked out. Anyway enjoyed the comments!!

bob
Old 10-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was also warned by OUR Sams that a certain Pirelli tire people didnt like- yes, long wear = harder rubber- LESS TRACTION! And that my friend can be dangerous as well!

I've got a set of Yokohomas on my Dad's old Cobalt with apx 70K miles on them. They're nearing the end of their life but have been the BEST tires I've ever ran on a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Well I am going to watch these tires closely I used to drive 60k a year the best tires I found were Generals once had a set that went 100k. They were on so long I had a flat and the rim had rusted to the drum had to have someone come and knock it off.

I had a set of Goodyears on the wife couger one time only went 30k the tread was completely gone. I threw a fit but Sams pointed out on the back of their invoice they only warranty their tires for 5 years.

These Goodyears were on the car a little over 4 years so I lucked out. Anyway enjoyed the comments!!

bob
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #12

Missouri
tires

Darrell I don't drive fast as I said I have 2m of gravel each way. This isn't my tug although I have used it.

we will just have to see it will be tough to pile up miles on them I have 5 vehicles and now don't drive one of them once a week. The pickup sets for months.

bob
Old 10-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #13

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I was also warned by OUR Sams that a certain Pirelli tire people didnt like- yes, long wear = harder rubber- LESS TRACTION! And that my friend can be dangerous as well!
My primary concern when buying tires is their grip, everything else is negotiable. I would rather replace my tires sooner and have a set that will help the car stop that much sooner than to save money, reduce noise, etc. I look at tires like health insurance, sooner or later it will save my life.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I totally agree Alex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
My primary concern when buying tires is their grip, everything else is negotiable. I would rather replace my tires sooner and have a set that will help the car stop that much sooner than to save money, reduce noise, etc. I look at tires like health insurance, sooner or later I will need the grip to save my life.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #15

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I had a 1972 Datsun 240Z that I ran with Michelin XZX tires. I could take 20 MPH hairpin turns at 50 MPH and not even screech the tires.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
My primary concern when buying tires is their grip, everything else is negotiable. I would rather replace my tires sooner and have a set that will help the car stop that much sooner than to save money, reduce noise, etc. I look at tires like health insurance, sooner or later it will save my life.
Living in Miami, the first thing I look at is performance in wet conditions, both traction and braking. Hydroplaning is a beech.

One thing I've learned is that anecdotal reports on relative tire performance are pretty useless, there are too many variables involved.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #17

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Might want to go with all terrain trailer tires rather than ones designed primarily for paved road use.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:42 AM   #18

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
There is a difference between a passenger tire and a trailer tire.
The difference is in the side wall construction.
On a trailer tire the side wall is much sturdier so handle the sway.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:17 AM   #19

Missouri
tires

yes trailer tires are a complelely different animal car tires are car tires truck tires are truck tires.

In my case I run car tires and trailer tires. This Goodyear tire thing has always bothered me. In talking to my mechanic yesterday he thinks Goodyear is down in quality now sort of like Firestones of the past!

to be fair maybe Goodyear has some sturdier tires in their lineup!! Next time if I can lift them I will run some tests on the different brands of Goodyear!

In checking trailer tires there are very few tire companies making a true 6ply tire by the way.

bob
Old 10-27-2017, 07:17 AM   #20

Missouri
Race car driver?

bob