Leave window unlocked - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-24-2021, 05:07 AM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Leave window unlocked

Reading the Casita A-Z book it mentioned leaving the emergency window unlocked in case the door lock fails. ( This way you could slide the window open & unlatch the emergency window ).
This is wise advice. Last year we stopped by the Casita factory to get some repairs done. After we left we were 2 hours away & stopped to pee. We could not get the door open. We called Casita & let them know we were returning. They had to force a window open & enter to get the door open. The deadbolt had broken in half. I upgraded to a combination lock.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:25 PM   #2

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
Reading the Casita A-Z book it mentioned leaving the emergency window unlocked in case the door lock fails. ( This way you could slide the window open & unlatch the emergency window ).
This is wise advice. Last year we stopped by the Casita factory to get some repairs done. After we left we were 2 hours away & stopped to pee. We could not get the door open. We called Casita & let them know we were returning. They had to force a window open & enter to get the door open. The deadbolt had broken in half. I upgraded to a combination lock.
Leaving a window unlocked also lets thieves in. I prefer safety. Would you leave your house unlocked and go on a vacation? Same difference as leaving your RV window open or unlocked. Also while traveling it could come open on its own.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:44 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Hide a key somewhere on the trailer.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Doesn't help if the door lock fails and that's the point the OP was making.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:43 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Carry a crowbar on your belt.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:01 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Leaving the emergency exit window unlocked on Casita's has been a recommendation amongst owners since at least 2005, when I started following the forums. That window is different from the others with a thick rubber gasket, and will stay closed while traveling if closed properly. A sideways slap of your hand on the glass will open it from the outside. Many folks, myself included, have benefited from that bit of advice. No way a thief would know it was unlocked, and believe me, it's no easy feat to enter the trailer by that means. But it sure beats the options of having to break in another way or call a locksmith.
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:27 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I’m not familiar with Casitas but on some fiberglass trailers people have removed the hinges on the door and backed the door away from the strike plate.
For minor crisis situations I have a door key hidden (wired) on the exterior of the trailer. I have a complete set of camper keys in the glovebox of my tow vehicle.
I know for sure that I have a proper screwdriver for the door hinge screws accessible in an exterior hatch and some tools in the tow vehicle. Once a year I take my lock out and give it an inspection, tighten any loose screws, and a light internal lubrication with Tri-Flow. It only takes a few minutes. Those “paddle-slam” latches are somewhat prone to failure due to the abuse they take. I tend to close the door with two hands and not “slam” it. Be Prepared and Easy Does It
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:00 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
"I’m not familiar with Casitas but on some fiberglass trailers people have removed the hinges on the door and backed the door away from the strike plate."

Not an option with 17' Casitas.

I totally agree with your recommendations, but when a lock does fail due to a backed our screw, jammed dead bolt, or broken key there is no way to enter other than a window. If it's unlocked, one can enter and remove the door lock from the inside. No damage done other than to replace the lock. I do think this tip is useful only to owners of 17' Casitas.
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:00 PM   #9

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
KEY WILL NOT HELP. I experienced lockout in my 99 motorhome within a week of buying in 2017. Old style paddle locks, The [paddle to strike bolt] connection has a slot in the bolt, which is pot metal, (and with age?) bolt snaps at the weak point so that paddle will not retract. It is a major challenge to remove screws, and unlatch after the bolt snaps, to get door open. There are/ were steel bolts (vs (cast pot metal?) sold on eBay for some models of paddle locks. NOT sure if any keypad locks or more modern paddle locks cure this issue or not??
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:19 AM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by THene1713 View Post
KEY WILL NOT HELP. I experienced lockout in my 99 motorhome within a week of buying in 2017. Old style paddle locks, The [paddle to strike bolt] connection has a slot in the bolt, which is pot metal, (and with age?) bolt snaps at the weak point so that paddle will not retract. It is a major challenge to remove screws, and unlatch after the bolt snaps, to get door open. There are/ were steel bolts (vs (cast pot metal?) sold on eBay for some models of paddle locks. NOT sure if any keypad locks or more modern paddle locks cure this issue or not??
This is true. They had a hard time getting the door open from the inside. The deadbolt had broken in half.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote