Leaving tomorrow for Backus to pick up new 16' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 04:01 PM   #21

Name: Alice
Trailer: 16 'Scamp Trailer
California
Getting my Scamp hitch worked out

OK, yes. Thanks for this advice. Scamp told me the ball should be 21" from the ground but you are right, it is a little high as is.

I had uhaul put on the hitch for me so maybe should take it back to them to look at based on the new information. Or maybe I'll just pick something out on etrailer.com with less rise AND less length if I can find it. They probably have a better selection.

And of course I'll check the tire pressure.

I'll look into it this weekend, but thank goodness at least I got it home safe and sound so now the pressure is off. I might also sleep a lot this weekend.
Alice
AliceGardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #22

California
To Herman Parker: Yes! So Scamp told me I didn't need chocks but I brought two anyway. I don't see how it is supposed to not roll away otherwise.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceGardner View Post
OK, yes. Thanks for this advice. Scamp told me the ball should be 21" from the ground but you are right, it is a little high as is.

I had uhaul put on the hitch for me so maybe should take it back to them to look at based on the new information. Or maybe I'll just pick something out on etrailer.com with less rise AND less length if I can find it. They probably have a better selection.

And of course I'll check the tire pressure.

I'll look into it this weekend, but thank goodness at least I got it home safe and sound so now the pressure is off. I might also sleep a lot this weekend.
Alice
I would look into the tongue weight first. I really think that is the most likely issue. If you do end up changing the weight distribution to increase tongue weight, the hitch will drop some.

I had some fishtailing on my first trip, too. Been there, not fun. But it can be fixed.

And yes, rest first!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #24

California
As for increasing tongue weight: Well hmmm, I've got double propane tanks on the front, and the bigger battery. Not sure how to get more tongue weight up front without maybe filling up the black tank or packing the bathroom full of something heavy anytime when I'm going somewhere. I've got the front bathroom in the Scamp, and then on the same side as the awning, there are a couple cupboards.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:54 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
(2) Add a device to remove play from the drawbar connection
(2a) The adjusting bolt under the coupler should be properly adjusted so there is not excessive play.

This adjustment probably doesn't have much to do with the sway you experienced, but it's something that needs to be done and that sometimes gets missed.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #26

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
You can easily buy a ball mount (the par that slides into your hitch receiver) at Walmart or any trailer or rv place. You probably just need one that is a couple inches lower than what you have now. But by all means, weigh that trailer tongue; a bathroom scale should work for you. Hitch weight should be 10%-14% of total trailer weight.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:06 AM   #27

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Hitch weight: just lowering the tongue will increase your hitch weight. Don't put a box full of stuff on the back of the trailer. Amazon sells a variety of hitch receiver stabilizers. I bought one for under $10.

Dont trust Scamp or Uhaul to make the decisions for you. You will be the one driving and at risk. Spend some time on google and YouTube and you will be an expert!! Not that Scamp and UHaul are not trust worthy , they are. But ultimately it is up to the driver to get it right.

FWIW, in the middle of our last trip, I changed out the receiver on our tow vehicle. It had been the right height for our old Casita but it was too low for our larger wheel Escape. $20 at Harbor Freight and I was set.

Towing a trailer regardless of size is tricky. If it's not set up right it can be dangerous!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #28

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Buy a drop hitch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2inDropHollow12inShankBack.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	109828
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags