Les Stroud, OFF the Grid - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

thats OK tho, if you have hi speed internet, you can watch the whole thing on youtube.

VERY interesting.. he and his family buy some remote acreage and set it up to live off the grid. It's a long series for internet watching, but it is not so large a scale that it does not address some of the questions we have all had about boondocking.

I much prefer him to the mostly dramatic and phony Bear Gryliss.. he is a bit more real and down to earth. I was very dissapointed to see he will not do another season of Survivorman.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
This is fabulous. I just finished watching all the installments.....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
I understand he has just released a book. It is called Survival, and is receiving a lot of praise.
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #4

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I much prefer him to the mostly dramatic and phony Bear Gryliss.. he is a bit more real and down to earth. I was very dissapointed to see he will not do another season of Survivorman.
Yeah, but Bear gets naked in just about every show(not that I watch it)!
K

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... My son had the good fortune to meet Les Stroud at his condo in Huntsville Ontario. Les was assembling a bicycle and my son being an avid cyclist couldn't resist getting in there too. The two found they had attended the same college and taken some of the same courses. Les' shows are real reality!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I always enjoyed watching Les in Survivorman and am sorry the series is over. Lots of good information, some of which might help you someday. Couldn't stand to watch Bear Gryliss constantly showing off. I remember when Bear was in the Copper Canyon and he was freehand climbing up rock faces. More like stupidity than survival.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I thought it was a really good series too,interesting to see them go about the conversion, but I couldn't help but wonder how much $ it took to do what he did, the way he did it. Bringing in helicopters to move his cabin kit, hiring crews, installing solar and wind power etc... there was no mention of budgeting or costs on any of his modifications and that is where it lost me, when it started to appear unrealistic. He must have had sponsors or had a pretty good chunk of savings to make all the changes he made in a years time. Still interesting to watch none the less. Thanks for sharing that link!!
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
April, that's exactly what I was wondering....how much did all that cost?

I also wish there would have been more details about how things were built and how they planned to utilize the buildings. I really don't understand the need or rush to build the kit cabin. I always want more info than that type of program gives but overall it was still interesting.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
To my understanding, this was being filmed at the same time the last of the Survivorman series was.. so he no doubt had some substantial income coming in by then.. but he admits he ran out of money for his well.. maybe the chopper took up that $$$ reserve.

He really had no choice on the chopper. But because he used them for doing Survivorman as well, he may have had connections and it was not so bad.

The solar system he has it not much .. I was actually surprised at how small he had it sized. The array is only 525 watts, and the wind generator is tiny, only 450 (I think thats what they said)..

effectively, he has an inexpensive system (relative) compared to most household installations.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote