Less is More - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We went to a camp ground near Camp Sherman Oregon this past week-end. We stayed in a Forest Service Camp Ground. Most of the sites were pull-through. Now for the kicker, most of the trailers and motor homes couldn't manage the pull through. They pulled in and had to back out. I watched one guy pull into a site, then decide he couldn't pull through so he spent the next 1/2 hour going back and forth until he could get his 32' back out of the site. Then he moved to another with out much better luck. He did stay in that one.

Another couple was in the site beside us. Yup, another 32 footer. Because the ground wasn't level he had several pieces of wood blocking up the curb side. This isn't so bad in itself, but the first step to stairs going into his trailer was a doozy. They spent quite a bit of time talking to us about our little 13' Scamp and wishing they had bought one like ours instead of the 32'. They also said they were going to Yellowstone next summer, but not taking the trailer. The gas consumption was pretty high, I think he said about 8 or 9 mpg, was the reason for leaving it at home and renting cabins at Yellowstone. Oh, and they kept a generator running all week-end.

The Scamp had no problems with the pull throughs or leveling.
Yup... Less is more...
Old 09-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I've mentioned it here before, we have a 16ft Scamp that we use and a 26ft Avion that we leave home. It's not the fuel cost, one at about 19 MPG and the other about 16 MPG diesel. It's the convenience.

I have a friend that when he retired he set out to outfit he and his wife with the "ideal" camping setup. Since they were avid trailer boaters also, they bought a dually with a upper scale 9ft camper. However there were two downsides to this that caused them to change over to a large fifth wheel.

1) They liked to spend several winter months in the southwest. If they got a week or so of bad weather, they found the camper awfully small.
2) They also had quite a few friends with larger fivers that they would camp with. The social life, card games and the like, all were done in the big rigs and they couldn't reciprocate. So they felt like they were always on the owing side.

So, since the Avion isn't depreciating, we plan to keep it in case we decide we really want a bigger rig. In the meantime we are setting the Scamp up just as we want and are not pinching pennies on anything. This past year the dog died, both of our kids are on their own and neither of us has or needs a regular job, so we have plans for some more extensive traveling.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I'm not going to say anything bad about what other people do in the way of trailers. Whatever suits them, I reckon, is fine with me.

However, I don't understand the enormous fifth-wheels and such that I see in campgrounds. Personally, I go for the camping experience (I still backpack when I really want to get away from it all). Also, my wife and I enjoy camping in National Forest campgrounds that have no facilities, so our Casita and generator are perfect for getting into small campsites in out of the way campgrounds that large trailers and big rigs can't even get to.

It's fiberglass for me!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
We went to a camp ground near Camp Sherman Oregon this past week-end. We stayed in a Forest Service Camp Ground. Most of the sites were pull-through. Now for the kicker, most of the trailers and motor homes couldn't manage the pull through. They pulled in and had to back out. I watched one guy pull into a site, then decide he couldn't pull through so he spent the next 1/2 hour going back and forth until he could get his 32' back out of the site. Then he moved to another with out much better luck. He did stay in that one.

Another couple was in the site beside us. Yup, another 32 footer. Because the ground wasn't level he had several pieces of wood blocking up the curb side. This isn't so bad in itself, but the first step to stairs going into his trailer was a doozy. They spent quite a bit of time talking to us about our little 13' Scamp and wishing they had bought one like ours instead of the 32'. They also said they were going to Yellowstone next summer, but not taking the trailer. The gas consumption was pretty high, I think he said about 8 or 9 mpg, was the reason for leaving it at home and renting cabins at Yellowstone. Oh, and they kept a generator running all week-end.

The Scamp had no problems with the pull throughs or leveling.
Yup... Less is more...
Hi: We just got back from Watkins Glen N.Y. I would say that lb. for lb. we had as much or more fun than the "Big Rigs". Its just that the lady at the K.O.A. desk kept refering to us...(my Brothers and our Bolers) as the "Little people" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:55 AM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
This is a timely thread. My wife and I have the best of both worlds!

Like Lauren, we have two trailers (actually three at this moment, but one's for sale), a 34' Airstream, a 25' Bigfoot, and a 17' Bigfoot. The Airstream is for sale, and we just (yesterday) downsized our larger 34' trailer to a 25' Bigfoot rear queen. I use the smaller trailer when it's appropriate and the larger when IT's appropriate for where we're going and what we're doing. I recognize that we're fortunate AND atypical in that we're able to have and store two trailers. If I could only have one, I'd keep the 25'. It's perfect for extended stays, but not too large to get in anywhere and travels more like the 17' than the 34'.

That said, I've had my 34' Airstream in places that left on-lookers with gaping mouths. Indiana Dunes State Park comes to mind... A little practice in backing goes a long way to where you can go and where you can't, but sometimes when trees are placed just 'so', you're not going to thread through them with 53' of trailer and tow vehicle.

The founder and past president of the Bigfoot Owner's Club Int'l aquired a Prevost motorhome last year, and is now looking to downsize it back to something he can get into smaller parks with. A 45' behemoth is tough to get around back roads in. They're great for staying in luxo-parks in Las Vegas and Palm Springs, but fall pretty short when you're trying to get to the back country.

The big rigs are luxurious, but they're for living in, not travelling. We like to travel!

Rog
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
One of the "secrets" I have for getting our 26ft Avion (when we use it) into impossible places is a short wheelbase tow vehicle and a TowRite hitch. In my case the tow is an 83 diesel GMC Jimmy, same as a full size Chevy Blazer of that era.

Pulling the Scamp it is even better!

With a TowRite, you can back into places you can't pull back out of in one swoop.

Roger, I would think your 25' Bigfoot is actually larger inside than our Avion. What do you think your use percentages will be between the 25 and the 17?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote