Leveling issues - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #41

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
I sent this question to Customer Service at Norco Industries:

and promptly received this reply:

If I had two of these things and a light tandem trailer, I'd give it a try... but wouldn't blame Norco if they jammed or wouldn't go up properly. I suspect it can work, but the obvious choice would be to go with the experts - the people who make them - and assume that the BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler is viable only for single-axle applications. Too bad.
Brian, thank you for contacting Norco.

I think that the answer could be different for different types of trailer suspensions. Airstream’s torsion bar dual axle suspension could have problems. Because axles are not connected, the trailer weight burden could be indeed placed on the axle being lifted quickly. On Bigfoot’s spring leaf suspension axles’ leaf springs are connected. The axle being lifted could travel a good few inches before taking up the full trailer load. It seems that there is a need for simple leveling of dual axle light weight trailers. Will BAL follow-up with a solution?

I did not order yet a tongue jack for my Bigfoot 21’. Is there any experience with the new Odyssey jacks?

George.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/product...93&src=SRQB
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #42

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I agree that a pair of rubber torsion suspensions (such as in an Airstream) is a very different situation from a linked tandem pair of leaf spring axles. The rubber torsion suspensions do not share load equally, so if only one were lifted at a time, that axle's leveler could easily be overloaded. Also, the spacing will vary more as the short suspension arms swing through their arcs.

I doubt Norco (BAL) is really concerned about anything other than leaf spring suspensions (almost no one other than Airstream uses tandem rubber torsion axles), but maybe it is a factor in their recommendation.

In my note to thank the Norco customer service person for the prompt response, I did mentioned that at least a few light tandem axle travel trailer owners would be interested in product for tandems, but realistically I think it's a tiny market with little hope of being provided with a solution. I think a frame-mounted leveling jack, like that in the Oliver Legacy, is a better solution if it can be successfully integrated with the trailer's frame, suspension, and body.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #43

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
I use a 14.4v drill (not impact) with my BAL lifter and it does a fair job. It is only when I need to go higher than about 2 inches that I have to resort to a ratchet wench and that is only about 1 in 10 times (or when I forget to charge the battery).

Maybe I'm just easily amused but if my trailer had tandem axles I think it would be great fun to pull into a site, make a fuss of some kind to draw attention, haul out two BAL wheel levelers, slide then into place, pop out two 18v drills and do a simultaneous two handed lift!
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #44

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I'm sure there's some way to complicate this beyond common sense. Hmm, let's see...

Perhaps some sort of 12v two direction worm drive for the BAL leveler connected to an electronic balance device to lay on the trailer floor to automatically balance the trailer!

Send the money for this new patent idea, cash preferably, to Steve L.....
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #45

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I'm sure there's some way to complicate this beyond common sense. Hmm, let's see...

Perhaps some sort of 12v two direction worm drive for the BAL leveler connected to an electronic balance device to lay on the trailer floor to automatically balance the trailer!

Send the money for this new patent idea, cash preferably, to Steve L.....
Add a couple load cells to the Bal levelers so that they can be raised together for tandum trailers. Of course a nice controller will have to determine which leveler needs to raised and at which point the trailer is level.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #46

Registry
We'll need a USB port in there somewhere and optional data collection software. Can we justify an infrared temp sensor in there as well?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:
We'll need a USB port in there somewhere and optional data collection software. Can we justify an infrared temp sensor in there as well?
While we're at it a WiFi connection and a gps to we can send our location to internet. Yup on IR temp sensor, as long as it's RoadWatch. Then we can include in our internet report to the fiberglassrv forum the surface temperature.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #48

Registry
I'm thinking it updates a Google map on the FiberglassRV web site..."Where our members are camping", with temperature conditions.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #49

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
we should be able to include a visible line laser for absolute levelling, and maybe pest control as well?
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #50

Registry
Don't forget the web camera and pod casting.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #51

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Once the trailer is level, it can signal the service robot to undock and start connecting the utilities - power, water, sewer, phone, et cetera.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #52

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
I am designing mounting brackets for BAL C-Jacks for the ordered Bigfoot 21RB trailer. Jacks mounted in the Bigfoot factory are BAL but not C style and would not accept BAL Power Pack motors. If you don't order stabilizing jacks option you will not get welded mounting brackets from Bigfoot. Jacks should be mounted in the way that at the extended position they are at the 45<sup>o</sup> angle. I am collecting info from BAL and measure another 21" Bigfoot to make certain that the design is correct. E-mail me if you are interested in the coming up final design.

I found Power Pack BAL 24210 (good for C and scissor type BAL) at http://www.campersdirect.com/susqrv/details.php?ITEM=5824210 for $228.95. This price beats JCWhitney's price of $300- coupon discount of 20%.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote