leveling the frig - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
O.K. I understand that the frig must be level, but how close to perfect must it be?

Surely there is some leeway permissable.

Anyone have any idea?
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have always leveled "Within a bubble" and been fine. Maybe just lucky, but it works for me.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Surely there is some leeway permissible.
I use these RV levels (marked in one inch increments) on the front and side of my trailer. I find front-to-rear leveling is more critical than side-to-side leveling. I figure +/- 1" on these is close enough.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Between the BAL leveler I have available and the tongue jack, I can get my trailer level... spot on. Because the 3-way in my trailer is 22 years old (and still going strong), I make every effort to be perfectly level. Besides, I sleep better when the blood isn't rushing to my head or feet

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Bud Kennedy... Half a bubble off plumb might work...might not!!! The trick is to be able to tell the difference!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Bud,

You are really leveling the evaporator section, the cold part inside the refrigerator. The refrigerator may not even be level in the trailer when its level so always level with respect to the evaporator.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Quote:
Bud,

You are really leveling the evaporator section, the cold part inside the refrigerator. The refrigerator may not even be level in the trailer when its level so always level with respect to the evaporator.

Harry

We put our level inside the fridge and go by that, when the fridge is level, that's where we settle, even if the trailer is not perfectly level.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
If the trailer is level enough for you to sleep in comfortably, ... it's level enough for the fridg.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 77 Scamp
ditto....any less and my fridge revolts...But I love it so I pamper it

Quote:
We put our level inside the fridge and go by that, when the fridge is level, that's where we settle, even if the trailer is not perfectly level.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
My trailer service pro told me the same thing as April and Brandy. His reasoning is that the fridge when installed, is not always level with the trailer. So you can have a level trailer, but unleveled fridge. Because the fridge must be level to insure proper operation, you need to verify that the fridge is level at the campsite.

He suggested that I put a small bull's eye leveler in the freezer (when I'm parking - not permanently!) to verify that the fridge is level. If 1/2 of the bubble is inside the bull's eye, all is well.

BTW, he did say that recent model refrigerators are not as sensitive as older ones.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
If there is enough of a discrepancy between the refrigerator and the rest of the camper in regards to level - so that you find yourself living with an un-level feeling trailer - you could always shim or re-fit the refrigerator so that it is level with the trailer, then all is good.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
When your driving and pulling with fridge on what happens when you come to all the mountains either going up or down????.

At one rally we were at a few years ago we had a rep from Dometic come and this subject came up. He said they would sputter at 7 degrees, I take sputter to mean something like it doesn't want to run right
Old 04-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I was always under the impression that when you are moving keeps the refrigerants mixed up, but when sitting still just the heat is not enough to keep it mixed and moving if off level.

Bill K

Quote:
When your driving and pulling with fridge on what happens when you come to all the mountains either going up or down????.

At one rally we were at a few years ago we had a rep from Dometic come and this subject came up. He said they would sputter at 7 degrees, I take sputter to mean something like it doesn't want to run right
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote