Life in the slow lane - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2022, 05:11 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Life in the slow lane

I have not traveled on the interstate for about three months. When traveling in the past in a 70 MPH zone just a few people including big trucks ran 65 MPH. I had to take my diesel truck to pick up some parts about 50 mi away and ran 65 MPH. The big thing I noticed was more people in the slow (RH) lane running 65 mph. About 75 % of the big rigs now seem to be running 65 MPH even in the center lane on the three lane roads. I also saw another diesel PU from 4 states away in the right lane trucking along at 55 MPH. It's getting crowed in the slow lane now.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:45 AM   #2

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
I have not traveled on the interstate for about three months. When traveling in the past in a 70 MPH zone just a few people including big trucks ran 65 MPH. I had to take my diesel truck to pick up some parts about 50 mi away and ran 65 MPH. The big thing I noticed was more people in the slow (RH) lane running 65 mph. About 75 % of the big rigs now seem to be running 65 MPH even in the center lane on the three lane roads. I also saw another diesel PU from 4 states away in the right lane trucking along at 55 MPH. It's getting crowed in the slow lane now.
Eddie
I'm not sure what point it is you are trying to make. People drive slower than they used to? People are in the wrong lane? The center lane isn't any different than the outside lane? Speed limits are too high?
I almost always drive two miles per hour under the speed limit except when towing (never over 63 mph towing). I stay in the outside lane and set my cruise control. This way people can pass me at will without need for me to continually reset my cruise control, as most are driving faster than me.
I like the outside lane as I think it is safer. I often see me on roads with multiple lanes passing on the right! Not sure about all states, but this is illegal, but rarely, if ever, enforced in Pennsylvania.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:16 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Not trying to make a point, just an observation. Looks like people/trucking companies are making a decision to save fuel on their own by slowing down. I wonder if we will see speed limits dropped and rationing like the 70's. The big trucking companies put governors on their trucks to save fuel back then. It's just a much more economical and relaxing drive at the slower speeds.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:03 AM   #4

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
Since gas is so high, I've caught myself easing up as well.

I also spent a considerable amount of time yesterday preparing to sign up for Medicare and Social Security........

Hmmm.
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:22 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sure hope this doesn’t turn into another “price of gas” thread, because they’ve all turned political and gotten shut down…

Besides the trucks going maybe a little slower, it seems to me there is somewhat less traffic overall. We just made a (non-towing) trip from eastern AZ to southern CA and recorded the best time ever without a single significant traffic delay. We spent a fair bit of time in the left lane running close to the posted speed limits.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:28 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Not trying to make a point, just an observation. Looks like people/trucking companies are making a decision to save fuel on their own by slowing down. I wonder if we will see speed limits dropped and rationing like the 70's. The big trucking companies put governors on their trucks to save fuel back then. It's just a much more economical and relaxing drive at the slower speeds.
Eddie
Agreed!
Old 06-17-2022, 07:46 AM   #7

Name: Larry and Gayle
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
I'm not sure what point it is you are trying to make. People drive slower than they used to? People are in the wrong lane? The center lane isn't any different than the outside lane? Speed limits are too high?
I almost always drive two miles per hour under the speed limit except when towing (never over 63 mph towing). I stay in the outside lane and set my cruise control. This way people can pass me at will without need for me to continually reset my cruise control, as most are driving faster than me.
I like the outside lane as I think it is safer. I often see me on roads with multiple lanes passing on the right! Not sure about all states, but this is illegal, but rarely, if ever, enforced in Pennsylvania.

Sorry to seem simple, but which exactly is the outside lane?
Larry and Gayle D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:42 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry and Gayle D. View Post
Sorry to seem simple, but which exactly is the outside lane?
Farthest from the median/double yellow, not including merging lanes, i.e., the slow lane, the right lane.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:04 AM   #9

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Farmer Jack once lived on a quiet rural highway, but as time went by, the traffic slowly built up & eventually got so heavy & so fast that his free range chickens were being run over, at a rate of three to six a week...

So Farmer Jack called the local police station to complain, "You've got to do something about all these people driving so fast & killing all my chickens," he said to the local police officer...

"What do you want me to do?" asked the policeman...

I don't care, just do something about those crazy drivers!!!”

So the next day the policeman had the council erect a sign that said: SCHOOL CROSSING

3 days later Farmer Jack called the policeman & said, "You've still got to do something about these drivers... The school crossing sign seems to make them go even faster!!!”

So again, they put up a new sign: SLOW: CHILDREN AT PLAY.

That really sped them up... So Farmer Jack called & said, "Your signs are no good. Can I put up my own sign???”

In order to get Farmer Jack off his back the policeman said, "Sure. Put up your own sign...”

The phone calls to the Police Station stopped, but curiosity got the better of the officer, so he called Farmer Jack, "How is the problem with the speeding drivers, Did you put up your sign???”

"Oh, I sure did & not one chicken has been killed...”

The policeman was really curious and thought he'd better go out & take a look at the sign... He also thought the sign may be something the police could use elsewhere to slow drivers down...

So he drove out to Farmer Jack's house...

His jaw dropped the moment he saw the sign : ”NUDIST COLONY"
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:53 AM   #10

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Back to the original point of the thread... it was preached 40+ years ago when we had the last big “gas crisis” that if we all slowed down to 55, we would save enough gas by efficiency at the slower speed, that we could stretch our limited supplies of fuel to get by.

By actual experimentation I have found that at least some vehicles do better at speed. I had a 2000 Chevy Astro a few years back that had a device on the overhead console that showed instantaneous mileage and remaining range in the tank. Guess what? It would max out when I could get out on the Interstate and run 70 MPH+! I had that same Vortec V-6 engine in my Chevy S10 Blazer, and the best mileage it ever got was driving up and down the highway at 70+. The sweet spot (or “sweet speed”) is not necessarily some slow speed... it depends on the inherent characteristics of the vehicle. Some vehicles seem to get great mileage putting along at 35 MPH, but it takes a looong time to go anywhere. As with all things,”Your mileage may vary!”

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Really?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
Back to the original point of the thread... it was preached 40+ years ago when we had the last big “gas crisis” that if we all slowed down to 55, we would save enough gas by efficiency at the slower speed, that we could stretch our limited supplies of fuel to get by.

By actual experimentation I have found that at least some vehicles do better at speed. I had a 2000 Chevy Astro a few years back that had a device on the overhead console that showed instantaneous mileage and remaining range in the tank. Guess what? It would max out when I could get out on the Interstate and run 70 MPH+! I had that same Vortec V-6 engine in my Chevy S10 Blazer, and the best mileage it ever got was driving up and down the highway at 70+. The sweet spot (or “sweet speed”) is not necessarily some slow speed... it depends on the inherent characteristics of the vehicle. Some vehicles seem to get great mileage putting along at 35 MPH, but it takes a looong time to go anywhere. As with all things,”Your mileage may vary!”

Froggie
I’ve also read someone on this forum who thought he got better gas mileage pulling his 13ft scamp than when not pulling it. He surmised it had something to do with drafting, like when two cars draft.
Really?!
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:21 AM   #12

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post

Froggie
Problem is that those gauges are most beneficial while informing you when to get off of the throttle and not for determining mpg.
My experience with those gauges has been to not be even remotely accurate when using them to check your actual mpg.
The only accurate method is to:
1. Fill your tank.
2. Set your odometer at zero.
3. Drive
4. Refill your tank.
5. Divide the number of gallons needed to refill into the number of miles driven on that tank of fuel.

This will give you an accurate reading. Doing it two or three times and averaging together will give you an even more accurate reading. Other factors may minimally undermine your ability to determine mpg making a case for averaging. Example, "all full tanks of fuel may not have the exact same number of gallons" (ambient temperature, air pockets, grade vehicle is parked on, e.t.c. can have an effect making averaging more reliable). Though one tank will be close enough for all common reason unless you suffer from the same O.C.D. symptoms I have.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Slow Lane

Guess you have never driven though Atlanta you have people doing 80 ,90 miles an hour in all the lanes plus cutting in and out and no signals .
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:25 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
Guess you have never driven though Atlanta you have people doing 80 ,90 miles an hour in all the lanes plus cutting in and out and no signals .
I have. I found Boston to be even worse.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:23 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
If we are towing the cruise is set to 90 kph and hang out in the right lane.

But yes. We have noticed lots of people hanging out there with us now. Saves a few bucks I’m sure.

Safe travels all.
Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:06 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Fact: Men who do not flush urinals also do not use turn signals.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:43 AM   #17

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
If I want poor gas mileage I’ll just drive 62 mph with my ten speed 2019 F150 in 10th gear with the engine running too low rpm’s (1,200-1,600). If I want better gas mileage I lock out 9th and 10th gears and run in 8th. Realized this with our 2015 F150 3.5 eco boost with six speed transmission (locked out 6th gear to run in 5th) and found the same with our 2019. There is a point where your turbo is not that beneficial and gets poorer gas mileage at slow rpm’s.

Once read a Ford publication where they suggested that 1,700 rpms is the lowest you’ll get good mileage. I generally run at 1,800-2,000 rpms. Up mountain grades I’ll run up to 2,400 or if too steep just slow down. Our sweet spot is at 62 mph in 8th gear on rolling highways. If on 55 mph roads we drive 52 mph in 7th gear. We avoid Interstates as much as possible and enjoy the countryside. Of course, we’re retired.

Food for thought,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:21 AM   #18

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I hear ya Perry.....we are retired as well. No longer in any hurry....a wonderful way to travel....enjoy the view....the dog...each other. We stay off most big highways.....they ain't pretty. On smaller roads.....50 to 55mph.....if I have cars behind me....I pull over...let them pass and smile. If we do get on a freeway.....60 to 62 mph max......people can go around in them other lanes. I have a 2019 Ram 5.7 Hemi....3.92 rear....8 speed tranny...MDS...tow package...crew cab.....I get 20 to 21 without towing....16 to 18 towing our Casita......life is good......feel free to wave to me as you zoom by and miss the world.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote