Light weight camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Light weight camper

We have a Nissan Rogue... We want to camp but we were told we can only pull 1500 lbs. is there a camper out there we can get? . Thanks in advance..Ann
cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Check the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World - there are a few makes/sizes that are known to weigh in at 1500lbs or less once loaded for camping.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi Ann and Welcome to the group. I woul d check your vehicles owners manual for the actual towing weight allowed. If you don't have one you can contact Nissan Customer Service for correct Information.

That Said;

The "Short list" of real lightweights includes:
13' Hunter Compact I , II & Jr
Campster
And several others with similar construction, mostly from the early to mid 70's

Maybe a Burro if your are very careful packing.

As the "Real World" list shows, a lot of FGRV's that have factory weights well below 1200 lbs don't work out that way in the real world. Both because the mfg was a bit light on the scales to help sales and also, that they would weigh bare stripped models without appliances, propane, battery etc.

If a seller quotes a low weight, be sure to have it weighed yourself before buying. In many cases sellers doen't really know how much their trailer actually weighs.

Here are some pics of a Hunter Compact-II that currently weighs about 1300 lbs RTG, vs factory bare weight of 840 lbs.:

Robert Miller's (advocateone) Library | Photobucket

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
You don't say what year your Rogue is, but for most model years the limit is/was only 1,000 pounds UNLESS the car was equipped with certain other features.

Easiest way to check/see if yours is one that can tow up to the 1500 pounds is to take a look-see under the hood. If you have the auxiliary transmission cooler pictured below, you're probably good to tow the max. Otherwise, mfr. says the limit's 1,000 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
RogueCVTFluidCooler.jpg  
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #5

Light weight campers

So happy I found this site....thank you all for your help...the Nissan Rogue is a 2013... Only had it 6 months...I called the dealer we purchased it from and they said 1500 lbs.... The internet says 1000... We live in FL and want to travel out West... Sounds like not much available for our car......
cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #6

Again, Look in the owners manual for the towing rating.....

If you looked at the link to my Hunter Compact-II go back to that link and look at the StarCraft pop-up listed in my library index. It's only about 750 lbs and a whole lot less expensive than an FGRV.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Neat little Starcraft you had Bob, I've only seen one of those and just missed buying it for our daughter. We still own our '73 Starcraft pop-up that sleeps 8, but it's well over 1000 lb. Pop-ups are a great way for families to camp. Bought a '93 Jayco for the daughter, put new canvas on it, and its' like a new camper. She has 3 kids, and they love camping.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #8

Actually I rebuilt that one for my son and his wife that didn't want to look like tourists in the way off road campgrounds they frequent.

It currently lives in my garage when they aren't using it... Free Parking I guess.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #9

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

It currently lives in my garage when they aren't using it... Free Parking I guess.
Same with my daughters camper, it's in my barn for the winter, along with our old pop-up and our teardrop. Now she's so spoiled I deliver it to the campground for her, set it up, and bring it home when she's done. The campground is 2 1/2 hours away! Her husband isn't a camper so he's useless.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Same with my daughters camper, it's in my barn for the winter, along with our old pop-up and our teardrop. Now she's so spoiled I deliver it to the campground for her, set it up, and bring it home when she's done. The campground is 2 1/2 hours away! Her husband isn't a camper so he's useless.
Bob, My hubby doesn't camp either, so I do it myself. Why not encourage your daughter to start handling things on her own, and she might find that gives her more freedom to camp in other places. (and you are not handling double camping duties). There are a huge number of ladies that hook up, tow, park, set up, and then settle back with a glass of wine and girlfriends around a fire... wait a minute, that's me too . I love the empowerment of knowing I can do it myself.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I think a 13' Scamp could be kept under 1500 lbs, if you put almost nothing in it. A bit of bedding and clothing, and some paper plates & plastic cups. Fill with water when you reach the campground, then empty before leaving. Carry the pots and pans in the Rogue.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The portion of the Nissan Rogue that most concerned me was the CVT, continuously variable transmission. They have been available for awhile but I've yet to read much about their ability to tow.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Bob, My hubby doesn't camp either, so I do it myself. Why not encourage your daughter to start handling things on her own, and she might find that gives her more freedom to camp in other places. (and you are not handling double camping duties). There are a huge number of ladies that hook up, tow, park, set up, and then settle back with a glass of wine and girlfriends around a fire... wait a minute, that's me too . I love the empowerment of knowing I can do it myself.
Daughter can, and has towed and set up herself. She has a very small yard and driveway so doesn't like to keep the camper at her house. I have a barn big enough for a couple dozen pop-ups, so I'm the designated storage space. Her normal camping routine is 3 weeks at a campground with ocean beach with 4 other friends and their kids. Then a week somewhere with us, and that's it for the summer for her. When we can no longer camp, she wants both our Uhaul and teardrop, her brother gets our pop-up.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
All five of my kids are getting a Trillium. Most will get a 4500, one really likes her 1300 with a front 1/4 bathroom. She is quite small, and likes to have a small foot print. She likes the single seat by the door. Might trade up when, (if?) she has kids.

The other two 1300's will eventually be fixed up and sold.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Another thread here with links
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-62402.html
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats View Post
We have a Nissan Rogue... We want to camp but we were told we can only pull 1500 lbs. is there a camper out there we can get? . Thanks in advance..Ann
Hi Ann and welcome to the forum. You might find a tear drop works for you.

Little Guy Teardrop Trailers | be different.

Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
All five of my kids are getting a Trillium. Most will get a 4500, one really likes her 1300 with a front 1/4 bathroom. She is quite small, and likes to have a small foot print. She likes the single seat by the door. Might trade up when, (if?) she has kids.

The other two 1300's will eventually be fixed up and sold.
You shouldn't have disclosed that. Now a bunch of us will be writing and asking you to adopt us! I want a Trillium too, "Daddy"! LOL
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #18

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...I agree with David. Here is my 1300Trillium with my towing vehicle as a little 4cylinder Toyota wagon. We have been camping for a few years with the same gear. The Trillium has capacity of sleeping 4 , no bath but with faucet and water tank for cooking isnide when necessary. It has 120VAC, 12VDC and 120VAC power alone it could even branch for....another pop-up camper..Just a share...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG648.jpg   IMG124.jpg  

IMG704.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #19

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...When camping ...DRY in which we used to go with a group, my Trillium will utilize its smart charger and this charger would be charged by towing vehicle once a while. About bath, we use a make-shift out door shower( it is a formation of a tarp b/t 2 trees and 2 other make-shift poles. At night time, everyone in my family ( 2kids, me and the wife) can have a warm or really hot shower as wish. Our camping fire always has a big pot of hot water when we sit around camp fire eating and drinking. The fresh water is supplied from 2 of 200liter barrels( home made with valves, specialty for campings), take water twice a day by one of my friends' P.U truck. Believe me or not, both camping dry of hydro hook-up, we enjoy them very much. One way we have all kinds of freedom and privacy, partying all night...noisy all as wish and the other with park shower for convenience but...less of privacy or even got complaint from fellow campers.....If someone asks me to choose a light camper with bath,...my answer will be BIG NO...Just a share...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
You shouldn't have disclosed that. Now a bunch of us will be writing and asking you to adopt us! I want a Trillium too, "Daddy"! LOL
That has already been proposed, and rejected. The plan to supply a trailer to my kids started as a way to eject my oldest, (currently 19) who has very low ambition. I didn't want him to die, so I decided to provide some shelter, somewhere else.

The plan kinda backfired. After I purchased "Launch Pad", The twins, (soon to be 17) asked, "what do we get?". So began my Trillium journey.

The plan is especially off track, as my 19 year old still lives with us, for now.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, weight