Lightning worries - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Lightning worries

Anytime you're in the mountain a good old thunder storm and blow up and blow rapidly. Lightning can be a problem which can be resolved to some extent by know how far away that lightning you just is. You can count 1,000 one, 1,000 tow, etc. or somehow count the seconds from seeing to hearing. 1 second is approximately 343 meters or approximately 1029 ft or approx. 1/4 mile. If it's that far away or farther chances are it won't be a problem. However as in all things there's no guarantee.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Anytime you're in the mountain a good old thunder storm and blow up and blow rapidly. Lightning can be a problem which can be resolved to some extent by know how far away that lightning you just is. You can count 1,000 one, 1,000 tow, etc. or somehow count the seconds from seeing to hearing. 1 second is approximately 343 meters or approximately 1029 ft or approx. 1/4 mile. If it's that far away or farther chances are it won't be a problem. However as in all things there's no guarantee.
I can't think of the article off the top of my head right now, but i recently read something that said the old 1, 1000 trick is not at all accurate and that any time you hear thunder you should look for cover as lighting can strike up to 10 miles away from where the storm actually is.

The one draw back of fiberglass also seems to be that its not good protection in a lighting storm, so if it gets really bad we will have to move to the car if we are out in the open.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #3

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
I would not worry about it. The chances of you getting hit by lighting is crazy small.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500 View Post
I would not worry about it. The chances of you getting hit by lighting is crazy small.
Usually yes, but we do a fair bit of backpacking and when you are the tallest thing around past tree line, i think the chances are not in your favor!
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It's kind of like dying from falling off a roof. Chances are extremely small in the general population, but if you're a roofer....

Thunderstorms are a near-daily hazard in many high mountain areas during the summer.

Agree the tow vehicle is the better place to ride it out, or a building if available. I'll hazard a guess most people choose to take their chances in the trailer, though. Not a bad idea to unplug the power cord during a storm.

The greater danger is falling branches. Not necessarily fatal, but far more likely than a direct lightening strike. Choose your spot wisely during storm season. Near trees is good. But not too near.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #6

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
Usually yes, but we do a fair bit of backpacking and when you are the tallest thing around past tree line, i think the chances are not in your favor!
I also backpack a lot and well we are talking about scamps. Yes if you are up above the tree line on a mountain than you have a higher chance of getting hit. Still not a large chance, but it is higher.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:00 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Some years ago our house took a direct hit. Because of that I'm not as casual as others.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
step potential

If you are really stuck out in a lightning storm, squat down and keep your feet together. Step potential is the amount of voltage resulting from the difference in voltage between an average persons feet while standing. If you are near the lightning, like under a tree, the step potential could be 10s of thousands of volts. You really don't want that kind of voltage between your feet because you know where its going to go!

Here is some light reading.
https://pureportal.strath.ac.uk/file...ng_current.pdf

MIL-HDBK-419 is another great source on grounding, lightning, etc.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #9

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500 View Post

My father in law got struck 2x by lightning, and survived. Other farm workers actually saw the strikes hit him. Small chance yes, but that is what keeps insurance companies bloated with cash...
Old 07-12-2020, 02:22 PM   #10

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I was just at the Airstream forum reading posts about lightening and what to do. Some experts said use a lightning rod on top of the trailer, other experts said no, don't use a lightening rod. Some say use a ground rod, others say nay. Some say the AS acts as a Faraday cage, others say not. Very confusing...

If the lightning strikes are so close that I have to squat with my feet together, well, I will keep my feet well apart rather than be found with ordure on my boots. There are things worse than instant death by a lightening bolt...

Tags
light