Lil Snoozy Fiberglass Shell Construction - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Just looking
NC
Lil Snoozy Fiberglass Shell Construction

I posted this information in another thread but thought it may be useful for those considering a Lil Snoozy or just curious about it's FG wall construction.

When I was touring the Snoozy factory I inquired about their FG method. Richard took me to the molds and explained to me how the honeycomb foam inner material and the rolls of glass mat are use. I saw huge rolls of FG cloth in different weights. I gathered the structure consist of glass mat that is positioned on both sides of the foam inner core then the resin is pumped into the mold to saturate everything. Oh, I also saw where the lower tub section is actually thicker than the upper section (viewed before entry door was installed). I would say averaging 5/8"-3/4" on the bottom hull section and 3/8"-1/2" on the top. I was told corners are generally thicker too. I was glad to see that, because the lower hull is quite strong & stiff and not as flexible as the top section. Just sharing what I observed.

SAMPLE: The image below shows a scrap piece of the FG wall material on the inside gel coat side. I scratched off some of the white gel coat so you can see the honeycomb inner foam pattern underneath. Right under the scrap piece is the side wall where a window has been trimmed out showing a cutaway of the glass resin, inner foam core, & inside & outside gel coats. You can see the cloth in the resin with the image enlarged if you look closely. This is the upper shell section measuring around 3/8" thick. The foam core structure is suppose to make the overall unit lighter in weight without compromising strength, while also "supposedly" adding some insulating properties. I gave a scrap piece several pretty hard smacks with a hammer and couldn't bust through it. However, I did manage to make small dents and crack the gel coat at the point of impact. Pretty impressive material IMO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample Structure Material.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	76843
Old 09-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
The more I learn about the Snoozy's the more I like them.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
carlkeigley's cracked

Further snoozy reading link if interested, happy trailer shopping.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post433616
Attached Thumbnails
carlkeigley crack.JPG  
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #4

NC
Just sharing what I experienced during my visit, not trying to endorse the campers. Seems if you dig deep enough you can find just about any problem you want on any make FGRV. Personally, I was pretty impressed with what I saw, touched, and beat on.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
That is really a good view, I'm glad you posted that picture.

I see that in case of a blow to the outside, the foam in the middle will do a lot to cushion and protect the inside wall.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Someone posted a problem with Spalling of the shell on a Lil' Snoozy . Anyone know where that post (with pictures) is?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #7

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I was impressed enough to buy one. I believe the cracking problem was on one of the early models. When I was at the factory the first time, Richard showed me a trailer that he was repairing under warranty that had small cracks where they had used screws that were to long. This had caused small cracks in the gel coat. They use shorter screws to attach items now.
In my opinion any product can have problems. LIL Snoozy is a superior product and the hull is stronger than any of its competitors.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #8

NC
The "PERFECT" Fiberglass RV.
One with absolutely no problems or issues.
Where is it?
It's got to be out there somewhere?

I'm in the market for a FGRV, but like most folks, I want to find the "PERFECT" camper, without any issues or problems.
Is it possible?

Any advice or information would be very much appreciated, but please, provide personal experience to back your claim(s).
I'm all ears.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #9

NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
When I was at the factory the first time, Richard showed me a trailer that he was repairing under warranty that had small cracks where they had used screws that were to long. This had caused small cracks in the gel coat. They use shorter screws to attach items now.
Hey Charlie, I've often wondered why the factory doesn't FG in wood blocks to the side walls & bed area for attaching the interior woodwork & cabinetry. Then they wouldn't have to worry about running the screws in too far & cracking the outer gelcoat. It seems that the upper shell being on average 3/8" or less in thickness doesn't leave much material to attach things. The screws would have to be really short. The floor being 1/2" or better would be more forgiving.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #10

" provide personal experience to back your claims"
The forum archives go back many years.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Someone posted a problem with Spalling of the shell on a Lil' Snoozy . Anyone know where that post (with pictures) is?
Don't know if this is what you were thinking but amscram's posts are the ones I was thinking. And his experience with getting snoozy warranty work here.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post356305

Then his most recent snoozy experience this month here. Very sad
http://www.lilsnoozyowners.com/apps/...uy-back-policy
Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg489 View Post
The "PERFECT" Fiberglass RV.
One with absolutely no problems or issues.
Where is it?
It's got to be out there somewhere?

I'm in the market for a FGRV, but like most folks, I want to find the "PERFECT" camper, without any issues or problems.
Is it possible?

Any advice or information would be very much appreciated, but please, provide personal experience to back your claim(s).
I'm all ears.
A Russian Cosmonaut doctor was once quoted as saying...
"There is no perfectly healthy man, only one who has not been examined enough."

That being said, my Scamp13D was delivered in as near perfect condition as any of her kind (including the competition).
It has performed as designed for ten years now, well within design parameters and with minimal maintenance.

As you implied, objective "perfection" does not exist in the natural world.
Start with any great quality product and you will see that perfection still exists only as a subjective perception...
The "Perfect" house, car, trailer, or even relationship is one that you care enough about to take care of it, and view it as worth the cost and commitment.

I have Trek bicycles which are as much as 25years old, they look and perform as new.(ostensibly perfect)...
I sold a 1990 Trek 850 recently in good condition, the buyer returned in only three days with a destroyed rim, bent derailleur, two flats with shredded tires, and various other problems. It was filthy as well.
He blamed the bike!
Old 09-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Don't know if this is what you were thinking but amscram's posts are the ones I was thinking. And his frustration with getting snoozy warranty work here.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post356305

Then his most recent snoozy experience this month here. Very sad
http://www.lilsnoozyowners.com/apps/...uy-back-policy
Thanks...
That might be it. It sure shows the difference in construction methods.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #14

NC
[QUOTE=floyd;484303]
The "Perfect" house, car, trailer, or even relationship is one that you care enough about to take care of it, and view it as worth the cost and commitment.

Well put Floyd! I think I will keep my wife of 31 years
...and thanks for the valuable & personal based experience on your Scamp. I like those rascals too!
Old 09-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If you're looking for perfect...... you will spend all your time looking and none traveling.

I love my trailer, I work to make it perfect, however like a good marriage you should ignore the negative, and enjoy the positive.

My trailer is 23 years old and my marriage 50.....

Every minute on the road is a delight.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #16

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
the screws that are in the FG are only for attaching blinds etc. They originally came almost through the hull causing the stress cracks. the later models use very short screws. The cabinets are attached with stainless bolts through the belt-line where the two hulls are put together. They are concealed under the belt line trim .The only exception is one SS bolt through the upper hull in the right side. It helps give the upper cabinet extra support.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #17

NC
Norm: You are absolutely correct! Glad your camper fits you and Ginny!

Ken: Thanks for the links. Lots of good information to look over & ponder.

Charlie: Yes, I knew about that, but thanks anyway.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #18

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
I am actually pretty surprised that the shell is so thin. I had imagined it to be 3/4" or 1" thick or so. I never guessed it would be as thin as 3/8". That isn't a commentary about their construction so much as a lack of knowledge on my part.

I'm sorta trying to wrap my mind around how you could successfully screw anything into that and expect it to hold, particularly as fiberglass doesn't hold screws very well in the first place. I would think it might be better to use bonding adhesive.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #19

NC
Yes Paul, the thickness surprised me too when I first saw it, but to my surprise very strong indeed. Like I mentioned, I took a couple of pretty hard whacks at a sample piece about 2' x 2' and couldn't begin to bust through it or crack it in half. Maybe I could have with a sledge hammer, but what other camper could claim it could withstand a blow like that? The best I could do was slightly dent the surface and crack the gel coat where the hammer made contact, and the cracks spread no bigger than the head of the hammer. It's pretty ridged stuff. Like I said I'm not endorsing the camper, just sharing my personal experience & test while visiting the plant. The composite structure is pretty darn solid IMO. It tickled my wifey that I couldn't bust it.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #20

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
I have been thinking of buying an empty-shell Snoozy with just the bathroom installed, and finishing out the rest of the interior myself. So, the shell being so thin is making me think things through a bit more.

My experience with screws and rivets on my prior camper leaves me unwilling to put a lot of penetrations through the Snoozy, but I have to think how else I can attach things. The attachment method I had in mind won't work on so thin a material (not because of strength, but because of dimension). Bolting through the belly-band is great for things that are mounted low, but not so great for over-head cabinets.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Sounds like a visit to Snoozy-land is in my future, to look it over first-hand.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy