Lil Snoozy has closed shop - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #221

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
The website is not very good yet. I think Shaun has been too busy building units. There is a price list available. Regarding the 50 screwed people, I don't think they will get any satisfaction. My understanding is that the contract Alan Smoak had with Richard was written so that he retained the building and molds if Richard failed, so there was nothing left after the bankruptcy.

Here is the link to snoozy ll facebook page. There are some interesting videos and photos of the new business, which is part of Wesco trailers. They have a new layup schedule for the shell, which looks better than the earlier models.
https://snoozy2.com/
Old 08-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #222

Name: George
Trailer: Mypod by littleguy
Missouri
Well, part of that’s good news anyway

Just sorry to hear about all those people. Sad somebody could walk away with that amount of money and no recourse.

Wish these new folks well...they’ve a lot of image stuff to overcome but the units were always good imo.

Thanks for the link
Buffres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:03 PM   #223

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffres View Post
..they’ve a lot of image stuff to overcome

I'd change the name, myself.

And, add propane, of course.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:54 PM   #224

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Years back I worked for an employer that went bankrupt
Our payroll checks bounced . Taxes , SS , unemployment & workers comp wasn’t paid for the quarter . Credit union deductions were stolen . Lost our health insurance
Two years later he opened a business in an adjoining city and played the same game again
My heart goes out to the people who got screwed by Lil Snoozy !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:13 PM   #225

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'd change the name, myself.

And, add propane, of course.
I think the name is silly and the little goofy looking dog is dumb! Agreed, they need to add propane stove, heater and water heater to make it a really great camper. I installed it in my lil hauley buildout,
Old 08-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #226

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
Interestingly not the case in Australia, where we have been booming in the RV industry because people cannot fly to other countries, they are now touring Australia, well parts of it.
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #227

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
As does Escape.
As does Travelhome here in Australia a 29ft version
https://www.travelhome.com.au
Old 08-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #228

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Scamp has exactly 50 employees, by the way.
Their economic model is not bad, the sales you miss today are there when things slow down tomorrow.
Keep the overhead low, especially when the work force does not have a lot of choice out in the woods.
Benefits exist as part of what is necessary to attract and hold the employees they need.
No more than that is usually offered by any business large or small.
As I suspected they are a pretty small business, but producing a high in demand niche product
Old 08-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #229

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Escape, Bigfoot, Trillium Outback, and Armadillo in Canada. Casita, Scamp, Oliver, Happier Camper, Airstream Nest, Relic, Weiscraft, GoBE(?) in the US. I count 12, with some likely on shaky ground.

Many, like Lil Snoozy, are small, specialty companies producing a single model. They have a way of coming and going for many reasons unrelated to the broader market- age or health of the owner, supplier issues, mismanagement, quality issues, high price/limited market... They lack economies of scale- purchasing materials and components in bulk, for example, making for higher prices and/or thinner margins.

There are only a few larger, well-established molded manufacturers with a diversified product line and a track record of weathering the ups and downs of the RV market. If one of those goes under in a strong market, that would indeed be surprising.
Do sound small we have approximately 150 Caravan Manufacturers in Australia with the very small ones having 40- 50 employees. Same size as Scamp . Large operations 1000+
Old 08-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #230

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
We all lost our money. The Snoozy 2 is going to be close to $30 thousand. They have a Facebook page.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:13 PM   #231

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRyan View Post
Interestingly not the case in Australia, where we have been booming in the RV industry because people cannot fly to other countries, they are now touring Australia, well parts of it.
RV business here is quite strong as well. Still a poorly managed company, even in a strong business area, can go bankrupt. Happens every day.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #232

Name: George
Trailer: Mypod by littleguy
Missouri
Still sounds like fraud to me

I just hate to hear people defrauded like this with apparently no recourse.

I’d almost call my uncle Guiedo in Chicago and have him pay the previous snoozy company owner a visit!

$30 k wow, that’s getting up there
Buffres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #233

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The Scamp business model is to keep the number of employees below the trigger point where there are added regulations and taxes, etc.
Not a lot of employment options out there in the woods around Backus
Population (2010)
• Total 250
• Estimate (2019) 252
The median income for a household in the city was $26,875, and the median income for a family was $32,500. Males had a median income of $26,563 versus $13,438 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,077. About 16.3% of families and 23.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 36.4% of those under age 18 and 14.3% of those age 65 or over.
Scamp was lucky that they had better insurance than they thought they had and were able to build back better after the fire than before.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:31 PM   #234

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
The new Snoozy 2 people are giving the people who lost their deposit a substantial discount. That pretty nice since they don’t have to.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #235

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
The new Snoozy 2 people are giving the people who lost their deposit a substantial discount. That pretty nice since they don’t have to.
Were I in their position, I'd do whatever I could to buy user community confidence. As a business owner, I applaud what they are doing, both for the folks who really need a break out of the whole deal, and for the good it does for themselves and the small-builder community.
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #236

Name: Gary
Trailer: seriously considering
Florida
RV competition

Perhaps the reason we see customers incensed by poor service from some RV companies is that the companies are really a shoe-string operation, and no one knows it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If you click on the button labeled manufacturers you will see numerous Fiberglass trailer manufacturers who have been in and gone out of business
When the economy slows down again more fiberglass trailer companies will pass by the wayside . It seem many are just scraping by and teetering on the edge right now .
dgriffin661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:56 PM   #237

Name: Charlie
North Carolina
Registry
Snoozy 2 is owned by a successful boat trailer manufacturer. They are putting out a substantial production for a small shop. Time will tell if they get through a bad economy downturn as it will with the others. It is a great design and they have lots of orders.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:01 PM   #238

NSW
Something to hope for.. Kimberley Kampers from Australia went into receivership in 2015. New management restructured the company. They are now selling in the US. Orders are out to mid next year. Also they are sponsoring a Overland rally by 4x4 magazine in the US
https://kimberleykampersusa.com/
Old 09-09-2021, 06:32 AM   #239

Name: Don
MN
Registry
Kimberly Camper Travel Trailer

Well, at about $80,000 for the smaller E series non pop-up travel trailer, they ought to be able to make some profit if they can sell any! Seriously nice looking, but I don't know if I could justify that size of investment in another toy....I would feel guilty about not using the trailer enough and would neglect my fishing boat addiction.
roadfossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:28 AM   #240

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Sure are a lot of corners where I presume panels meet. Looks like a lot of places to leak.

According to the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM), 80% of the land receives less than 600 mm (24 in) of rainfall annually and 50% has even less than 300 mm (12 in). As a whole, Australia has a very low annual average rainfall of 419 mm (16 in).

Tags
lil snoozy