Lil Snoozy Purchase - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Bill and congratulations on the new rig. In the care and feeding section of the forum there is a thread on trailer height. It was suggested that Lil Snoozy data would make a good addition. You got one!! How about it? Raz

...thanks for the quick response
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Floyd

I will never buy anything again at Harbor Freight no matter how simple and mundane.

I had a Shovel Head break from there,not the handle but the scoop!
Trust me it was not due to the level of exertion in its use either.

I love my Honda Generator and I think I told you when I got mine a group of us got a deal on 19 of them in one shot off of a Microsoft Touring display where none of them had been used much but none were new either.

Every one of them starts on the first or second pull even 5 years after getting them and most of us use them for Ham radio activity a lot.

Just not worth it to me to buy cheap for something of such potential importance some day.
But thats just me?
Ed;
So does that mean you got my point ... Or was I too subtle???...

Bill;
Do you have your mirrors set so that you can easily see the fenders?I have often towed my Car dolly and I found that to be important.

Also... What are you towing it with?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #23

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Ed;
So does that mean you got my point ... Or was I too subtle???...

Bill;
Do you have your mirrors set so that you can easily see the fenders?I have often towed my Car dolly and I found that to be important.

Also... What are you towing it with?
I tow with a Jeep Cherokee. I'm not sure how the mirrors will be. I had no problem with my pop-up. The Lil Snoozy is slightly wider.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
I tow with a Jeep Cherokee. I'm not sure how the mirrors will be. I had no problem with my pop-up. The Lil Snoozy is slightly wider.
The only danger I see is the that if your mirrors are set to see only down the side of the trailer you may forget about the fenders. I have seen a few accidents caused that way with car dollies and boat trailers.
In two cases ,one boat and one car dolly they got too close to the temporary concrete barriers in road construction zones. The problem is exacerbated in that case, due to the tapered shape of the barriers, which can make you think there is more clearance than there really is. The dolly actually climbed the barrier and flipped the towed car, wrecking the truck and blocking traffic. The boat trailer just climbed part way up and bounced off with damage to the fender and wheel.
I have lent out my car trailer which has external fenders, and had it come back with fender and light damage more than once. In one case a friend was watching the car and he hit the side of his garage door opening with the fender resulting in damage to his building and my trailer.
This is something that is not a problem as long as the driver is aware and keeps it in mind.
But it is worth mentioning, like closing vents and making sure the garage door is all the way up for top clearance when it is close. Or knowing the height of your trailer before entering a station or drive up!
Enjoy your new trailer! Maybe we will meet at a rally some day!
Regards;Floyd
Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The only danger I see is the that if your mirrors are set to see only down the side of the trailer you may forget about the fenders. I have seen a few accidents caused that way with car dollies and boat trailers.
In two cases ,one boat and one car dolly they got too close to the temporary concrete barriers in road construction zones. The problem is exacerbated in that case, due to the tapered shape of the barriers, which can make you think there is more clearance than there really is. The dolly actually climbed the barrier and flipped the towed car, wrecking the truck and blocking traffic. The boat trailer just climbed part way up and bounced off with damage to the fender and wheel.
I have lent out my car trailer which has external fenders, and had it come back with fender and light damage more than once. In one case a friend was watching the car and he hit the side of his garage door opening with the fender resulting in damage to his building and my trailer.
This is something that is not a problem as long as the driver is aware and keeps it in mind.
But it is worth mentioning, like closing vents and making sure the garage door is all the way up for top clearance when it is close. Or knowing the height of your trailer before entering a station or drive up!
Enjoy your new trailer! Maybe we will meet at a rally some day!
Regards;Floyd
Check the laws.....
As a quick check it appears that 31 States require a view directly behind of 200' or less.

OK Floyd time to go to work and prove me wrong.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #26

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Bill,

If you are retired and able it would sure be great to see you and your rig way out west for the July OR gathering. I hope someday to see a Lil Snoozy, but I bet it will be east of the Mississippi. Oh, and if you went to the OR gathering maybe your weight could be intered in the data base.

Floyd, really good to mention the fender issue. I've thought of the wider fenders but did not think of mirror placement. I can see where we who aren't used to that type of trailer could screw up.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #27

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Bill,

Congratulations on ordering the lil snoozy. I hope and expect you will be extremely happy with it.

I've taken out my lil snoozy on six long weekend camping trips this past year, and have totally loved getting away. It's such a pleasure to have a little camper, packed and ready to go. All I have to do is get the food, and the dogs and it's off on an adventure.

When are you getting your snoozy?

I sure wish it was warmer, and that I could escape for a weekend. Last winter we had a warm weekend in February , and we actually went camping for one night. Hopefully, this year too.

Ruth
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Check the laws.....
As a quick check it appears that 31 States require a view directly behind of 200' or less.

OK Floyd time to go to work and prove me wrong.
I think it's actually less here in Illannoy, but that wasn't my point.
The point was to set the mirror low enough to put the fender in the field of vision so that you would be constantly reminded of their presence and position.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #29

Pennsylvania
Registry
No trips planned West of the Mississippi until I retire in two years.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #30

Pennsylvania
Registry
I asked for pick-up in late April.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #31

Registry
Quote:
The point was to set the mirror low enough to put the fender in the field of vision so that you would be constantly reminded of their presence and position.
Ah yes, Lil Snoozy has external fenders. The point being you want to see the widest point of the trailer.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
No trips planned West of the Mississippi until I retire in two years.
I hope you enjoy Lil Snoozy as much as we've enjoyed our Scamp. Retirement and long trips go hand in hand. When you finally make out to Orygun let us know, maybe we can join you at some nice campground. Lots of them around here.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #33

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Late April. By any chance are you going to make your debut at the Townsend gathering April 19-21.

Every year we try to go to that, but are never able. The weather and our roads, illness, something always prevents it.

Have a wonderful time with your trailer. And do put OR in July on that retirement plan. I can not think of any place I like more for the month of July on the OR coast. This will be our fourth and probably last trek out there. I said that the last time we went too.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #34

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Hi Bill: I am curious where you added cabinets in the Lil Snoozy. Also, when we were there thy did not offer an electric cook top. Is that something that they now install in the camper or are you talking about an electric hot plate? Sure do appreciate your telling us how things are going.
Thanks
Laura
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Ah yes, Lil Snoozy has external fenders. The point being you want to see the widest point of the trailer.
Close but not exactly... I can think of no other RV which has external fenders, and like car dollies and boat trailers, so unless you are towing with a dually, they require special attention be paid to them.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #36

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
So Norm, do you think all the other trailer manufacturers who are offering propane must be paying exorbitant insurance rates but are willing to do so in order to offer propane as an option? Pricing doesnt seem to reflect a huge difference in insurance premiums. Just curios how the other manufacturers are handling the liablity issue or if they are grandfathered in at lower rates or if there is another loophole etc.

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Bill,

Thanks for your considered comments. I am always interested in the whys.

Propane question. I guess I don't understand the insurance/propane issue. I once looked up propane deaths and they are extremely rare.

I do see the advantage of mainstream appliance, particularly when they are equivalents like the AC unit. We use a $100 ac unit and is more than adequate.

For information purposes:
Why is the shell of the Snoozy stronger than other brands?

I agree about the caps, the rigs would look better without them though I've yet to see one leak on our 21 year old Scamp.

All in all choosing a fiberglass trailer is a good choice, people are continually impressed that ours is 21 years old. Equally I was impressed by all the Bolers we saw in Canada that were 30-40 years old.

Thank you for the information,
Old 01-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #37

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Maybe one could use those stick on round mirrors added to their side mirrors. I've used them with my popups and now my T@b. I like to see the side of the trailer with my stock mirror and the tires/ground with the little round mirror. That way I know exactly where it's tracking which is good when towing something unfamiliar to you. Those temporary concrete barriers in construction zones completely un-nerve me but at least I can see exactly how close my tires are to it with the little mirror while still watching the side of the trailer with my stock mirror. So far I've had no mishaps with any of my trailers although I hadn't towed more than a few hundred miles total between my 2 popups until I got my T@b last summer and took it from FL to TX to WY and back to FL. I just did 1700 miles round trip to TN so I've already probably at least tripled my towing total in the few short months I've had Tab-itha. I've only had to back her up maybe 3 times so I really need more of that practice. Always manage a pull-thru site, LOL.

Quote:
Old 01-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #38

Pennsylvania
Registry
hot plate

I opted for the additional windows. To have room for more cabinets I asked for the additional window over the counter (across from couch) to be of half size of usual option window. This would allow for a counter to ceiling cabinet just aft of the bed for hanging cloths.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #39

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Hi Bill: I would really like to see pictures when you get the little snoozy. I would be very interested in seeing how that turns out.
Thanks
Laura
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #40

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Propane, Electricity and gasoline

So Norm, do you think all the other trailer manufacturers who are offering propane must be paying exorbitant insurance rates but are willing to do so in order to offer propane as an option? Pricing doesnt seem to reflect a huge difference in insurance premiums. Just curios how the other manufacturers are handling the liablity issue or if they are grandfathered in at lower rates or if there is another loophole etc.

Melissa,

I admit to not knowing why propane is discouraged or not offered in some trailers. The safety record of propane is excellent as good or better than any fuel source including electricity.

If you're trailer doesn't have propane than you are probably carrying generator gasoline in a plastic container. It's hard to believe that is any less dangerous.

I do find it interesting that most people who buy an all electric trailers add propane, or at minimum cook with propane even if it's outside. This said life is about choices and for some people all electric is the choice.

I suspect that some day there will be all electric trailers that meet everyone's needs. Possibly Solar panels will be come more efficient and batteries will have higher energy densities making it possible to be off the grid without proapane tanks and power cords.

For today, I like propane. It's a wonderful backup to have around when the grid goes down.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote