"LiL Snoozy" update - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Alan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
First : Like i stated earlier I don't know anything a about solar power. Thats why we hired a professional company to design it for us. If they quoted us wrong I will be the first to tell it. All I do know is thats what they told us and it ran the ac and the refrig for about 30 minutes while they were demoing it to us. I have to go by what they are telling us but really appreciated you guys input now to verify what they are saying before I will offer it as an option. Based on what your saying is that it is impossible for this to be true?
Old Man Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Snoozy View Post
First : Like i stated earlier I don't know anything a about solar power. Thats why we hired a professional company to design it for us. If they quoted us wrong I will be the first to tell it. All I do know is thats what they told us and it ran the ac and the refrig for about 30 minutes while they were demoing it to us. I have to go by what they are telling us but really appreciated you guys input now to verify what they are saying before I will offer it as an option. Based on what your saying is that it is impossible for this to be true?
I believe the total system provided 1100 watts, but most of that came from the battery. Take a quick look on Amazon or eBay and compare the physical dimensions of the solar panels to the output in watts. You will find that you can't fit 1100 watts of solar panel onto the roof of a travel trailer.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #23
Commercial Member

South Carolina
Thanks Thomas, I will do that. Also I am going over to the office in a little bit and try to scan the paper work they gave me and post it for you guys who know solar to give me some help. Because I surely don't want to sell anything that is over stated or incorrect. Thanks Again
Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #24
Commercial Member

South Carolina
Ok Here we go. I will try and post the paperwork in a minute. But I went to the office and got the info and called this guy at home on a Sunday! It is an 1100 watt system he proclaims but Thomas is right it has 1100 watts storage using some kind of super deep cycle sealed battery. So he mislead me some what. The panel is a 135 watt panel and the box includes the charger, inverter, fuses and ass. wiring. Sorry for causing an uproar but I was saying what I was told. I will be a lot more careful in the future on things I am unfamilar with. Correct me if I am wrong but the way he explained it to me, you have 1100 watts in storage and the solar panel will recharge at a rate of 135 watts per hour. So it's up and down depending on how much you use and how much sunlight you can get? Thanks to all you guys in put and getting me on the right track. He said he welcomes any emails on solar questions. Richardk@cleanfieldenergy.com
Old 02-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #25

Alan, as a practical matter, this is really just a conventional solar system. You really can't be running a refrigerator or an air conditioner off from it, though it would be great for an LCD television, lights, water pump, vent fan, etc. There may be some magic in the battery if it allows a greater percentage of total capacity to be used without damage. If it is just a lead acid deep cycle battery, then it is nothing special.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Ok, that explains a lot. Someone else might correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the battery sounds fairly typical in storage capacity and probably would only run the AC and fridge together (the AC is the real hog) for about an hour before being depleted. That said, the sizes are non really atypical. If you can keep the wires from the panel to the controller and from the controller to the battery as heavy gauge and short length as possible, and if it's either a 3 stage or a MPPT controller, this setup would probably power an efficient fridge and lights all the time (assuming decent sunshine), and the generator can take care of longer use of AC and microwave.

[edit]: Thomas, I was typing while you were posting.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
No other trailers we considered had a place to carry large items such as lawn chairs, screen tents, cooler, etc. without hauling them in your living space or hanging them somewhere on the outside of the trailer. .
Bill I guess you didnt look at an Escape?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
By the way, the extra storage you've come up with above counter level is really good news. I didn't mean to overlook that, Alan.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Alan, as a practical matter, this is really just a conventional solar system. You really can't be running a refrigerator or an air conditioner off from it, .
I suspect the solar system being discussed here would probable do the trick in keeping the battery up if the Snooze has one of the new high efficiency rated electric fridges. Have a friend with a newer trailer and only an electric fridge - they dry camp a lot with a solar system of the same wattage and it seems to do the trick. Not like the old 3 way fridge in my trailer which would drain the battery faster than you could plug the solar in!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I suspect the solar system being discussed here would probable do the trick in keeping the battery up if the Snooze has one of the new high efficiency rated electric fridges. Have a friend with a newer trailer and only an electric fridge - they dry camp a lot with a solar system of the same wattage and it seems to do the trick. Not like the old 3 way fridge in my trailer which would drain the battery faster than you could plug the solar in!
Interesting. How much power would a high efficiency refrigerator use?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #31
Commercial Member

South Carolina
I was just informed by another member the 30% credit is only available for your primary residence unless you full time in your rv.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #32

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Interesting. How much power would a high efficiency refrigerator use?
10.5 watts average for a 1.8 cubic foot model. These numbers are based on 90 degree ambient temperature, 40 degree fridge temp, and roughly 30% run-time (actual running wattage is 38.4, but the fridge only runs about 30% of the time under these conditions). These refrigerators are, in my mind, the ONLY way to go for an RV install.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
10.5 watts average for a 1.8 cubic foot model. These numbers are based on 90 degree ambient temperature, 40 degree fridge temp, and roughly 30% run-time (actual running wattage is 38.4, but the fridge only runs about 30% of the time under these conditions). These refrigerators are, in my mind, the ONLY way to go for an RV install.
That's pretty impressive. I assume these are compressor type refrigerators.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #34

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
This is all very interesting reading, can't wait to see the pictures. My husband and I are hopeful future owners of one of these neat little travel trailers.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #35

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Carol H
No, I did not look at the Escape., though I have read good things about them. British Columbia is a long way from Pa and my search stopped in Rice, Texas.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #36

Name: Glenn
Trailer: lil snoozy
South Carolina
Wake Up Lil Boozy!

First off, congrats to Pitt Bill on his new Lil Snoozy! You'll love it. We are gearing up for our first spring run, and are just discussing where to go first.
I think it will be in N. Carolina.
Old Man Snoozy...this is for you...Please post some pics of the changes you have been talking about in the threads. I want to see the front tongue enclosure, the fender things, and pics of the changes to the cabinets. I have to keep up with the new stuff and might have to get out the tools when we aren't camping. Any talk of a rally this spring? We had fun last fall with y'all.
RuthG, let's plan a Lil Snoozy get together. Happy Trails!
Gleam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #37

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Glenn, Thank you for your encouragement and most of all thanks to you, and Ruth G as both of you influenced our decision to go with Lil Snoozy after researching trailers for far too long. We will pick up our trailer next week and are very excited. Alan and Nickolas have been great to work with like you both said they would be. I just hope I have not been too much of a pain in their neck with questions and requests. If I have been, they have not let on.
We will pick up our trailer on Monday, April 2 and camp nearby before heading back to Pittsburgh on Friday with a boondocking in WV Friday evening.
Alan and Nickolas have sent us some pictures and the extra cabinets look great. I really like how they moved the sink forward and installed a floor to air conditioner closet with a shelf. The new tongue cover and air conditioner cover Alan talked about looks equally good. The additional cabinet and closet will be much utilized after I retire and we begin extended trips lasting up to four months at a time.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #38

Name: Glenn
Trailer: lil snoozy
South Carolina
Snoozy Mods

hey Bill,

Any chance YOU could post pics of the tongue and fender covers and the changes they made inside: cabinets, ac cover etc, so we can keep up with the Jones'. It's the downside of getting in on the frontside, if you know what I mean!? No regrets though, we love our Lil Boozy and will be camping soon! Thanks
Gleam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #39

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Still hoping for pics from new owners!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #40

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Been re- reading all the info on the Snoozy tonight and this was a thread I had missed, so I was hoping some of the new owners would post pics as mentioned (hoping to hear from Herschel soon!). I thought it would be silly to start a new thread...

miss Vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote