"LiL Snoozy" update - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Alan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
"LiL Snoozy" update

Just a few note's from the "old man" at "Lil Snoozy": We have made numerous evolvements since the intro of the " Lil Snoozy" A lot of it from input from you folks here on FRV. We have a new lighter weight frame (about 100 lbs savings) moved it in a couple of inches and found a black paint that sticks to the galvinizing making the frame nearly invisible, a new lighter weight yet stronger laminate structure for the body, doubled the size of the vertical cabinet's by the sink and increased the over head cabinets to 62" with three doors giving a ton more storage. Added drawers to the cabinets in the entertainment center. Extra or custom cabinets are readily available on request. We will begin posting our new lighter weights and interior cabinets designs when the webdesign company gets us a proof ready. We also have made a new fiberglass molded part that covers the frame out front giving a much cleaner neater look while also giving more outside storage for the generator or other stuff. A new fiberglass molded cover for the air conditioner (Keeps it cleaner, neater looking and keeps dirt dobers etc out of the unit) With the unit being mostly outside no worries of drainage or leaking in the cabin and it's much quieter. New vertical Led tail lights including a stop light over the door. We have a new 1100 Watt solar option designed by a commercial company that should run most every thing with in reason. And a lot more is coming with most improvements retrofitable to all existing "LiL Snoozy's" already out there. And you still don't have to duck your head going the door and fold this down and move that over to have a real inner spring queen size bed. We recently had a couple make a 4300 mile maiden voyage with out the first mishap. They were so happy they sold one for us when they returned home. Call us or e-mail us if we can help on any for your fiberglass or camper problems. Again thanks to all for your support.
Tha "LiL Snoozy Team"
Old Man Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
"A stronger laminate structure for the body..." Can you give us more details on the difference? Does this mean it's no longer molded FG?

Oh... and the 1100 watts of solar panels... is that a misprint? I can't imagine how you'd have enough roof space for that much.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Commercial Member

South Carolina
Hey Mike,
It is still a molded fiberglass part as before and is still a foam cored construction but now has a different fiberglass cloth that uses less resin to saturate meaning less weight. Resin is only the binder of the clothes, (think glue), it in itself is very brittle so the less you can use and still saturate the cloth the lighter the part.
Yes 1100 watt solar system is correct. It is a high density commercial panel that measures about 4' by 2.5 ' It does not mount to the camper, rather it stays stored away under the bed and protected from road debri until needed. It has it's on stand to sit outside the camper at the correct angle of the sun, meaning you don't have to keep moving the camper around to get the max sun light.
Also I am investigsting a mention of up to a 30% rebate from the goverment for using solar.
If any one knows how to go about verifying and getting the rebate please let me know.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I'd really like to see a 4' X 2.5' panel that produces 1100 watts. That is about 5X the density of anything I've seen. Do you have the manufacturer or specific specs?
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Thanks for explaining about the difference, good to know. Wow, that's a lot of output for such a small panel! With that much wattage, seems like a bank of AGM batteries under the bed would be a great way to take advantage of it. That could run an efficient DC fridge and plenty of other stuff. Interesting!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Solar panel 1100 watts or 110 watts?
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita
That really seems like a typo. I had two large panels and only got 120 watts from each, and they were a good 2' by 3'. And this wasn't all that long ago. 1100 watts seems really high.
Marjorie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Snoozy View Post
Hey Mike,
It is still a molded fiberglass part as before and is still a foam cored construction but now has a different fiberglass cloth that uses less resin to saturate meaning less weight. Resin is only the binder of the clothes, (think glue), it in itself is very brittle so the less you can use and still saturate the cloth the lighter the part.
would that be cormat by any chance?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
92 amps from one panel? Holy bleep - I want about 5 of 'em so I can charge a humongous battery bank and run my A/C all day and all night too! What make are they? Where can I get them?
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Commercial Member

South Carolina
First : I don't know anything a about solar power. Thats why we hired a professional company to design it for us. If they quoted us wrong I will be the first to tell it. All I do know is thats what they told us and it ran the ac and the refrig for about 30 minutes while they were demoing it to us. I have to go by what they are telling us but really appreciated you guys input now to verify what they are saying before I will offer it as an option. Based on what your saying is that it is impossible for this to be true?
Old 02-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #11

New York
Registry
Either they are using some unusual, non standard method of stating wattage or they have created a miracle. I'd ask them to clarify their 1100 watt figure. It is probably more in the 90 - 120 watt area for a panel that size.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Commercial Member

South Carolina
No core mat obsorbs too much resin meaning too heavy. This is a triaxle stiched material designed by Owens Corning for infushion molding.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
Commercial Member

South Carolina
I will try to send a picture of the system and you guys give me your input.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I know nothing about solar. Had wondered if the 1100 watt had to do with the inverter. I know more about the inverter than solar. Either way, I am betting that whatever is going to be offered will be top of the line and by the time it is an option, full details and clarification will be available as with the other details offered by the crew at Lil' Snoozy!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
1100 watts is a very substantial solar panel. My 80 watt panel is about 7 square feet.

Scaling up from my panel to 1100 watts means the panels about 100 square feet or 7 feet wide and 14 feet long, that's a pretty substantial solar panel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Wish I read this about the solar panel before we watched "This Old House". We think they had a panel on the show that produced one kw. It was not huge.

They said it used to cost $1000 but now is down to around $500.

Nancy (who someday hopes to see a Lil Snoozy)
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #17

New York
Registry
You can get a rough idea of the cost of RV based solar systems at AM Solar. I don't know anywhere that you can get 1K worth of panels for $500.00 & with current technology they would take more area than the roof of a typical fiberglass trailer.

Right now you are pushing it to find panels around $1.50 per watt & most are $2.00 or more. That does not include mounting, cables, controller, inverters, etc.

A typical complete home 1100 watt solar system runs around $6000.00. (Example from Blue Pacific Solar). The 6 panels used for this system are 185 watts each & each measure 62.2" x 31.81" x1.77".
Old 02-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
In case anyone is interested in the "This Old House" install you can go to this link

http://americanchoicesolar.com/PDFs/AC_250.pdf

At the bottom of that spec sheet they have a note:

ACS:Irradiance 1000W/m2, Module temperature 25degree C, AM=1.5

I guess I totally misunderstand all of this.

If I built trailers I would want to keep things simple and let people add what they want after purchase. This old dog doesn't learn new tricks.

Oh, and if by some chance this is some wonder panel I would not be able to lift it.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #19

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Updates for Lil Snoozy

I heard about most of the updates you were planning when I visited your facility in December and ordered my trailer. I think all are a great idea including the additional driving lights in the rear and the larger cabinets.
One update you told me about but forgot to mention in your post is the increased size of the exterior access door to the under bed storage.
I found your under bed storage area unique in all the different fiberglass trailers I carefully considered before settling on the Lil Snoozy. I think your web site undersells this feature which my wife and I found to be very attractive. No other trailers we considered had a place to carry large items such as lawn chairs, screen tents, cooler, etc. without hauling them in your living space or hanging them somewhere on the outside of the trailer. A larger access door allows a person to get those bigger items into the very generous storage area your design provides.

I felt I had to add this for the readers here as you did not and since I find it a big plus in your design that I think they would like to know about.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
1100 watts is a very substantial solar panel. My 80 watt panel is about 7 square feet.

Scaling up from my panel to 1100 watts means the panels about 100 square feet or 7 feet wide and 14 feet long, that's a pretty substantial solar panel.
I think that Old Man Snoozy is out of his element and will have to backtrack on this. It is perfectly understandable, as 1100 watts sounds like nothing in the plug in world.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote