Little Red Firepit - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-08-2018, 05:10 AM   #21

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The Clam shelter has no floor in it. The wind screen panels are attached with just a few small squares of velcro on each side of the panel. There is a LOT of air movement. There will never be any issue with a lack of oxygen from using a propane heater inside of it. The bigger issue would be trying to stay warm with all the drafts coming into the shelter.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #22

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
IMHO -
The Little Red Campfire is primarily for ambiance (i.e. sitting around
a campfire).
The Mr Buddy is for heat.
We have both.

If it is not completely enclosed by wind/privacy panels, I have few worries about using the Little Red Campfire in the middle of our CLAM.

The No-See-Um fine mesh screening, used in the CLAM) does block some wind and does hold in some heat (body heat and/or LRC heat),
but it does breathe and I don't think it should pose a CO build-up
hazard and the low flames (1" to 3") of the LRC wouldn't seem to
pose a significant fire hazard if it is placed in the middle of the CLAM.

That is just my opinion of course and might be worth exactly what
you paid for it. ;-) <==== wink

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #23

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
I have a question about the Little Red Campfire-----how much propane does it use for a "typical" fire??

We had purchased a propane campfire from Costco and tried it out this summer. There was either some malfunction in the hookup or else we got a defective unit because not only did our propane tank frost up (alot!) but we only got a small fire of less than 15 minutes before the 20lb tank was completely empty!

And so....wondering whether the LRC is a more efficient user of propane...??
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #24

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Theresa, I’d think there was a problem of some sort. My Campfire-in-a-Can will get 15-20 hours from a standard tank at a medium setting (8-12” flames). On it, the in-line valve that controls flame height must be fully closed before opening the tank valve and then opened very slowly or the tanks safety features will restrict the flow to produce only a small (2-3”) flame. I’ve not had a problem with excessive frosting on the tank.

I don’t have any experience with the LRC but know campers that use them and they haven’t mentioned any problems.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:16 AM   #25

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Thanks, Al! That info helps alot. We, too, figured that something must be defective with the unit we had. Notice I said had. We returned it to Costco, telling them about the problem. Sure hope they didn't just put it back on the shelf!
We figured it would be a good substitute for a wood fire when in certain parks where ground fires weren't allowed. At the rate that thing sucked propane it was looking like a wood fire would be significantly cheaper.

Going to hunt down either the LRC or another one similar and give it another go.

Thanks again!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
Thanks, Al! That info helps alot. We, too, figured that something must be defective with the unit we had. Notice I said had. We returned it to Costco, telling them about the problem. Sure hope they didn't just put it back on the shelf!
We figured it would be a good substitute for a wood fire when in certain parks where ground fires weren't allowed. At the rate that thing sucked propane it was looking like a wood fire would be significantly cheaper.

Going to hunt down either the LRC or another one similar and give it another go.

Thanks again!
I have two other camping friends, plus myself that have the little red campfire and all have had good experiences with theirs. Running ours on the low side of the adjustment valve and not on high, too much heat being produced there for comfort, we have yet to use much propane from a full bottle we use for our grill and campfire. I think it's very economical to use and have nothing but good to say about it. I hope you have checked your gas connections with a soapy water mixture for leaks and see if this is your problem.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote