Little Red Firepit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #1

Name: Ken & Ellen
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 16 ft Deluxe
Indiana
Little Red Firepit

Just bought a little Red Fire Pit to use in the Clam. It looks like it will be great to use on chilly nights. it comes with a fake cermic log but am considering getting glass reflective fire beads. Any suggestions on which you prefer and how many pounds would be needed?
KenEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenEllen View Post
Just bought a little Red Fire Pit to use in the Clam. It looks like it will be great to use on chilly nights. it comes with a fake cermic log but am considering getting glass reflective fire beads. Any suggestions on which you prefer and how many pounds would be needed?
We have the LRFP and the Clam and it warms it up very toastie inside. If you have the shelter sides then it's going to get real warn in there with the sides in place. Don't know about the reflective fire beads, I would say they are not needed, because the ceramic logs put off a lot of heat and I see no reason for replacing them.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:47 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Ken, might just want to give it a try like it is after reading John's reply. Could end up to hot as it is .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:23 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
With the sides in place, you might want to consider the health of the young, old and pets. We all have to breathe.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #5

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
I have the little red, purchased it for the clam; however I'm having second thoughts about possible carbon monoxide fumes? Thinking about replacing it with a Big Buddy heater? Anyone have similar thoughts?
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Are you referring to a Little Red Campfire? I assume so; I don't see a Little Red Firepit on search.

Anyway, I doubt the Clam is airtight enough for CO to accumulate, but I don't own a Clam so don't really know. You would have the same question with any propane heater.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lauver View Post
I have the little red, purchased it for the clam; however I'm having second thoughts about possible carbon monoxide fumes? Thinking about replacing it with a Big Buddy heater? Anyone have similar thoughts?
We have the Buddy Heater and have used it in our Eureka Northern Breeze screen house which has panels that close it in. After awhile I could feel a little woozy from using it in an enclosed space with no ventilation. It did heat that screen room real good though. We usually camp where there is shore power so use an electric heater instead.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #8

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
[it comes with a fake cermic log but am considering getting glass reflective fire beads.]
I have seen fire glass chips in use. They sure are pretty. No change in heat output, since that is determined by the propane supply.
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #9

Name: Ken & Ellen
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 16 ft Deluxe
Indiana
Lttile Red Campfire

My mistake. it is the Little Red Campire - sorry for the confusion - but thanks for the comments. Guess i need to try it out in a real life condition and see if we are happy the way it is.
KenEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #10

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
Any properly working modern propane heating system with adequate oxigen should produce no or extremely little carbon monoxide. Even so it is best to have a CO alarm in any inclosed area where you are running a flame and may sleep. Blood prefers CO over oxigen and gives it up slowly allowing for CO build up over time or to have continuous low levels (headaches and grogginess). Battery powered CO detectors are fairly cheap, now, and can be used in the camper as a backup. Remove the batteris when not in use to extend life. I actually have a very small fire pit I use in my screen tent. Don't give up the comfort. Just take extra precautions. I worked in public housing units, may of which were built in the '50's', and had to beware of poorly operating appliances.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We’ve had the Campfire in a Can for a few years and frequently use it in our Pahaque screen room in cooler temps. Usually, the side and rear curtains are dropped but the front is left fully open or with just the screen panels closed.

It originally had ceramic logs but I changed over to fire glass beads and like them much better. As best I remember, I bought a ten pound bag on Amazon ($30) and used about eight of those.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:40 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
With the sides in place, you might want to consider the health of the young, old and pets. We all have to breathe.
You can not close the front, or you would not be able to get out. You can also turn the corners down on the panels for makeshift windows. You can close it all up if you want to rig it all up, but then why not just stay in the camper. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:07 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
We mainly only use the extra side panels to block the wind and then we only use three, the other three panels are open, or should I say just the screen mesh panels of the Clam. I've never totally enclosed the Clam and ran the LRC, never had a need to do that. The Clam for us is mainly used to get out of the bugs and as a cool air block, we sleep in the trailer, it just extends the outside time for a longer stay in the evening, or early morning.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:16 PM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The idea of open flames inside of a fabric structure does not seem ideal. A catalytic heater would be a better choice, they don't produce flames.

The clam side panels are flame retardant but I still would not want to use the little red camp fire in it. Just watching the videos show that those flames can go up pretty high. It would be just fine out of doors but inside a fabric tent seems iffy safety wise. Not an issue of the fumes as there is plenty of air movement and you are not sleeping inside of it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:28 AM   #15

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
The idea of open flames inside of a fabric structure does not seem ideal. A catalytic heater would be a better choice, they don't produce flames.

The clam side panels are flame retardant but I still would not want to use the little red camp fire in it. Just watching the videos show that those flames can go up pretty high. It would be just fine out of doors but inside a fabric tent seems iffy safety wise. Not an issue of the fumes as there is plenty of air movement and you are not sleeping inside of it.
I own both items and these are my thoughts exactly. I'm actually surprised to hear so many people use them together.

I often camp with a firefighter and I don't think I could deal with the ridicule if he found me sitting in the clam with an open flame heater. It would be relentless.

ETA: I'm sure those who are using their LRC in a tent structure are doing so safely. I'm not trying to judge, it is just unexpected to me since it goes against the warning labels on both products. Although, I'm sure others would look at things I confidently do every now and then and shake their head far more. So, sorry if the above comes off as judgmental. Not my intent.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The Little red campfire is an open flame device.
I guess the "Clam" is a screen tent.
Keep any combustibles and yourselves a safe distance away.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #17

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
A Clam is 10' to 12' across, and more than 6' high. If the campfire device is in the middle of the screen room and if the flames are controlled via a gas valve so they aren't too high, I'd guess there should be minimal risk of starting a Clam bake.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Well, you should stay out of your camper then, to be on the safe side. You turn your gas stove on with less then a foot near the fabrics sides and ceiling, not to count the bed covers within inches of stove. You know there are flare ups at times when cooking, it happens. If the appliance is in the center of the clam, it should be safe, it is at least 7' foot high in the center, and it is not a tent, you only use some of the panel to block wind.
People cook under the awning and dinning covers. They place the grill on top of a table which makes it close to to the cover. just saying. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 2006
Little red firepit will kill you if used indoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenEllen View Post
I wanted to see how a propane heater would be used unvented inside the Clam.
This is designed for outdoor use only. IF YOU USE THIS IN YOUR UNVENTED CLAM, IT WILL KILL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. NEVER USE THE LITTLE RED FIREPIT INDOORS. LET ME REPEAT - CARBON MONIXIDE FROM THE UNIT WILL KILL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

edit. IF USED IN A SCREEN ROOM THAT HAS OPEN SIDES AND THERE IS SOME KIND OF BREEZE, IT SHOULD BE SAFE. IF THERE IS NO BREEZE, DON'T TAKE A CHANCE. THIS IS FROM SOMEONE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN KILLED FROM A MALFUNCTIONING GAS WATER HEATER, EXCEPT FOR A CO ALARM IN MY HOUSE.
Dick Kasnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:04 AM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Kasnick View Post
I wanted to see how a propane heater would be used unvented inside the Clam.
This is designed for outdoor use only. IF YOU USE THIS IN YOUR UNVENTED CLAM, IT WILL KILL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. NEVER USE THE LITTLE RED FIREPIT INDOORS. LET ME REPEAT - CARBON MONIXIDE FROM THE UNIT WILL KILL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.
edit. IF USED IN A SCREEN ROOM THAT HAS OPEN SIDES AND THERE IS SOME KIND OF BREEZE, IT SHOULD BE SAFE. IF THERE IS NO BREEZE, DON'T TAKE A CHANCE. THIS IS FROM SOMEONE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN KILLED FROM A MALFUNCTIONING GAS WATER HEATER, EXCEPT FOR A CO ALARM IN MY HOUSE.
Understand what you're saying Dick but...a clam type shelter is not in any way sealed up like a house is for air transfer/sealing. Secondly, an LP heater is only going to be used while folks are sitting in it and then shut off. It's not on all the time like a home water heater is to cycle.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote