Little Things - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Little Things

My niece was her with her family this weekend, truly pleasant visitors. Her sister lives nearby with her two daughters and the seven of them went to the beach.

My niece is very creative, always looking to stretch one's view and add activities; suggested a game of beach glass. The first to find 10 pieces gets a dollar. Of course the 7 year old won, maybe because she's closest to the ground. The result was they came back with a small pile of beach glass. it's rather interesting that 1000s of people walk our beach every day and few see the beach glass. These seven will probably never go to the beach without seeing the glass.

We have a very interesting wandering style walkway to our front door probably 75% white quartz the rest interesting stones (and beach glass) from all over North America. Not surprisingly it's the children who stop and notice the unusual stones, always allowed to pocket one. There's so many things around us like the beach glass, multi-colored stones, fossils and even a couple of marbles that stud our walkway that go unseen.

When I was younger I would ride my bike to work and was amazed at all there was to see that went unnoticed when I drove the car to work. It's not dissimilar when you're towing a trailer. Sometimes we'll go through a highway rock cut with interesting layers of rock and not stop... I always kick myself when I do this. It only takes a few minutes to stop.

I often wonder how are minds work, what are they doing as we walk along, are they too busy to absorb what's around? My younger son was a very good baseball player, like all players there was some streaky-ness to his hitting. I asked him what was happening when he was hitting well. He responded, the ball 'stops' over the plate when he's hitting well.

I've experienced this apparent stopping of action, the slowing of the internal clock, where your eyes have mastery of the brain. RVing is a chance to relax, to let go of the overwhelming busy-ness of life. I don't think it happens in a day or a weekend or even a week. On the road is an opportunity to open your self to new opportunities, to try new things, to need less and want less but see more and do more.

Just Sunday morning thoughts while the niece and family are out walking the beach again, turning over rocks for crabs, gathering up pieces of interesting drift wood, or finding heart shaped stones..... time to let go of the every day, time together.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #2

Florida
Finding it.

I wrote the previous post and went down cellar to organize some sermons from a former minister, the first one I came across contained this paragraph.

"All around us is stress and complexity and difficulty. Our lives our full with the obligations of survival (personal and social). There are too many relationships, too many commitments, appointments, obligations, too much work and too many thoughts and feelings. There are too many who want from us our love and our money and our goodness. It is in such a context that the urge comes to go to Walden Pond, to simplify, to strip our lives to it's essentials. People tell me they believe in such simplicity the very most, and yet it is what most of us do the very least, What we want the most we get the least, what we want the least we get the most." BY Robert Karnan

We slipped into our extensive travels 15 years ago after the death of a friend. Some how recognizing we wanted less of our former lives, and more of each other and time finding the quieter world.

There is much to be said for 'the less of RV travel'.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #3

Florida
Seeking and Finding

There are skills in everything...
As a child I lived in a post World War II neighborhood. As soon as the sky darkened (and before TV and electronics dominated the world and before parents developed paranoia) the kids in my neighborhood would be outside for hide and seek.

I loved the game and still find myself in the seek mode, forever wondering where and why. Those childhood games still drive my adulthood.

I just read a study of the value of word experiences to children. It turns out that generally kids from professional families experience more than 3 times as many words per day as kids from poor families. Accumulated over a childhood this amounts to a dramatic difference. Gaining exposure to knowledge is an advantage, travel can provide additional experience with the added benefit of time to consider and value.

Not unlike the words heard during childhood, the experiences of travel, stimulates one in unimagined ways, encouraging one to challenge ways and thinking.

I’m not very religious. By accident Ginny and I began attending a local church after we moved to NH. On our first visit I wondered why they had packets of Kleenex in each row. It turned out that at least half the sermons would bring at least watering to my eyes, not tears of sadness, but recognition of new possibilities, of an overlooked view, or a witness to joy.

In discovery, there is some times a peaceful wonder. When you’re considering trailer travel, one needs to be seeking, and if there are two, you need to seek together.

My favorite childhood book was Mysterious Island by Jules Verne. This group of men are literally dropped onto an “almost’ deserted island and have to seek survival together. It’s the same in trailer. wandering and wondering.

As someone wrote ‘seek and you shall find’...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #4

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
WOW
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #5

Florida
Leading the Pack...

I started this thread because over the years I've read how couples and partners often find extended travel in a small space to be difficult. I fear it's not the small space that is the cause. We come from a motorhome background where the space is relatively enormous and the problem's the same.

In life I've noticed that someone needs to lead, most of the time the group wants a leader. If no one leads things can become stagnant. This is not to imply that only one person of a couple can lead.

I mention this because I read that some people have difficulty traveling with their spouse or partner. Often I suspect it has nothing to do with the person, but rather the change of the traveling life.

I love my niece intently and her husband and two children, the kind of kids who clear the table without prompting at the conclusion of dinner. However, there's no doubt my niece is the leader of the pack. She has the plan, organizes their activities and gets them moving, always seeking group activity that's fun and extending.

As we travel Ginny's always reading seeking activities and I do like wise. Always with consideration for each other's interests, seeking accommodation.

I think in life that relationships can move from a closeness at the start to a separation with time, simply due to the circumstances of employment, responsibility and specific hobbies, so many hobbies are singular and insular (fishing, quilting,...). I hope none of us married to become separate from our partner.

Living together on the road is wrapped up in the first two words, Living together, making it fun and rewarding for each other. We don't go camping so I can go off fishing in the morning.

Our niece and her family spend a lot of time in our beach home every summer. They are big communicators with each other, still walk hand in hand on the beach, focus their life on their children and work for common joy. It's an openness model that I love watching and learning from. They would be great RVers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16